Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #1
ecoterror

Drives: 08 yaris
Its september, time to get ready for the cold

So, here in ohio its 50 degrees and halfway through september, this being my second year owning my yaris id like to start on some more long term cold weather mods. My car being stripped as much as I can visually do(dont want it looking like a tin can) and my underbody shields, I never get stuck. I'm more concerned this year with keeping my milage up with the winter gas, and getting the car warmed up faster.
Anybody here have any quick tips for the winter months, I'm thinking about making a lower grill block for areo out of plexiglass, and to keep the wind off the radiator during warm up. I'm also switching over to michelin energy savers mid october once my god awful OE bridgestone turanzas reach their wear marks.

I cant use engine block heaters this year as I moved out of my old rental house and my new apartment complex doesnt have outside power hookups.
ecoterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I'm not doing anything to help mileage. I use good winter tires, driving the car warms it up fastest.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #3
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
I just had a block heater installed..
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
IllusionX

I probably need a new battery. I'll see how it starts this winter.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
going for a battery

We are going to replace the battery as the original is 6 years old and is starting to swell a little bit. Something going on the inside of that puppy.
Why wait for it to fail and get stranded?

Probably going to go for the Napa 7535 battery as I like the low maintenance feature and decent stats.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
ecoterror

I always use the OE batteries, a 7 year battery for our cars is only $114, why go anywhere else. My OEM one is still going stong since 08, this winter might be its last though just to avoid any problems like alan said.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
IllusionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoterror View Post
I always use the OE batteries, a 7 year battery for our cars is only $114, why go anywhere else. My OEM one is still going stong since 08, this winter might be its last though just to avoid any problems like alan said.

My dealer don't sell the Panasonic battery. But I'm still using the OEM one from when I bought the car in 2006. I'm hoping it will last through this winter. Last winter seem to hesitate a little bit. We will see how it goes.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Oh man, my 06 battery died last winter. It was starting to take like 3-4 cranks to start. I just got a generic napa battery.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
You can reduce the miles it takes for the green light to go out by using a block heater.

If you have an auto theres a mod to make for immediate shifts into 4th rather than waiting for the green light to go out.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #10
ecoterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
You can reduce the miles it takes for the green light to go out by using a block heater.

If you have an auto theres a mod to make for immediate shifts into 4th rather than waiting for the green light to go out.
I already have a heater installed, i just cant use it this year, no outlets at this apartment. I also have a manual.

just got my ultraguage in the mail today! 2 day shipping for less than $100? totally happy, begun playing with it when i went out for lunch. Hoping for some good results. I can begin playing with grill areo with an actual temp guage.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #11
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
Guess it's time for me to buy another car so I can put the Yaris in the garage XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:39 AM   #12
IllusionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_miles View Post
Guess it's time for me to buy another car so I can put the Yaris in the garage XD

2014 SE?