Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
3cyltrbo

Drives: MR2 Spyd/Type R/Yaris/Civic Si
ABS brakes / Would you buy a Yaris without them?

Here is the situation that I'm thinking over and over about.

I had a 2005 Echo Hatchback from Sept 2004 to April 2008..................

During that time I only ever drove it from April to October, so all it ever saw was dry pavement and rain. It had ABS, but I can honestly say I think it only ever cycled the ABS 5 or 6 times in the 4 years I owned it.

The Daily Driver I've been driving since then (that I traded the Echo in on .....................

...................has both ABS / EBD (electronic brakeforce distribution) / VSA (vehicle stability assist) combined with almost 12" front rotors and factory 17's with sticky michelins. In that car, the ABS basically never ever cycles in the summer or even much in the rain (or snow for that matter)

Now I'm looking at getting back into a Yaris.

I've found some remaining 2010 2dr hatchbacks that dealers are basically throwing at me (0% financing AND massive discounts on top)

99% of them are the level that doesn't have ABS (although some of them do have 6 airbags).

Most of them are weirdly optioned 2010 CE 2dr with LE package (4 speakers / mudflaps / rear wiper) and then a $285 option that includes the 6airbags.

The Yaris would only ever get driven between April and October (dry pavement and occassional rain) and I'd have aftermarket wheels at some point.

For what its worth, I've been driving for 22 years / I've autocrossed several cars / done track days / taken advanced driving courses from BMW and Mercedes and have a former racecar driver/builder as a father (all of which is a way of saying I'm not the average ham-fisted driver half asleep at the wheel while texting in one hand and drinking a coffee in the other)

I'm trying to get a handle on all aspects (resale value / safety when others are driving the car / the odd time that I'd get caught in a compromising situation etc....)

there are a few remaining 2dr hatchs with the LE convenience package but the dealers that have them aren't being as aggressive to sell them and they would cost about $2k more (they also have AC which I could care less about).

All your input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Will

p.s., anyone looking to buy a 2008 Acura CSX Type S - shoot me a PM
3cyltrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
If it were possible to get a car, any car, without ABS, I would. Unfortunately, the nannies have won this one... too...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I do not like the ABS on my 2010 sedan. In the snow, it kicks in way too soon.

I would look for one without ABS.
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Personally, I never liked ABS.
However, I must admitt that the ABS on the Yaris in not that bad at all and I do not dislike them.

IMO, if your Yaris ABS are "kicking in" too soon", you are applying too much pressure on the pedal.
On my Yaris, the only way I can "test" the ABS is to purposely try to lock them up... even when driving in snow.
Otherwise, I would never know that I even had ABS.

Last edited by RedRide; 03-17-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: spelling
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
I wish mine didn't have ABS after reading on this forum about the sensors corroding and being very expensive to replace.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
tk1971

Drives: 08 2Dr LB Base, Silver
I specifically went looking for a non-ABS LB 2 door. Following that thought, I specifically didn't want power windows / locks either.

My daily driver has to be the ultimate in reliability and I don't want to spend any time dealing with electronic things like ABS and window motors.

Just oil changes and tire rotations is what I'm expecting to do.

I even pulled off my hubcaps because I find it more difficult to add air in my tires with them on.
tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
I don't like ABS on any car. My 2000 Celica GT-S, I purchased without ABS and was glad. My 2009 HB came with ABS, and I wish I could disable it!
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
Happy Little Pony

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
I've never actually owned a car with four wheel anti-lock brakes, so I don't miss them. But If I had a wife or kids who were driving my car also, I would be more comfortable if my Yaris had them.

But having said that, if they're offering you a really good deal that will save you hundreds of dollars, that's pretty hard to pass up.
Happy Little Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
Antara

Drives: 08 Yaris HB
I have been driving for over 40 years without ABS brakes. If you drive according to the road conditions you dont need them.
Antara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
3cyltrbo

Drives: MR2 Spyd/Type R/Yaris/Civic Si
thank you everyone for your input, I appreciate hearing first hand from owners

I'll let you know how it turns out

W
3cyltrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #11
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
ABS will never deploy if you are driving appropriately to the road conditions. Quite possibly it CONTRIBUTES to the accident rate by making people think they are Superman driving the Safe Car that Cannot Have An Accident.

Electronic nannies indeed!

Now if we could just get rid of cell phones the "adult pacifer"!!!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #12
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I don't have ABS on my Yaris or my Jeep, and I've never needed it.

However, I do have it on our Honda Odyssey minivan which the wife drives and the kids ride in. I like the fact that it's on there.

ABS is good for panic braking, but an experienced driver can live without them.

It's just a matter of deciding if you're "experienced" enough to live without them!

Cheers! M2
Old 03-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #13
SailDesign

Drives: .
I'd prefer (bold, italic, underlined) a car without it, but it hasn't hampered my driving at all.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #14
RABYARIS

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3D AT
It would be no PROBLAMO, for me, to drive a Yaris without ABS. In fact, on my XBOX 360 last night I was driving a BMW M3 with ABS and the car was all over the track when I was braking.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #15
mbt109

Drives: white yaris sedan
Pleasa can some body expl. why not?
mbt109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #16
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt109 View Post
When ABS activates, they are ANTI-STOP BRAKES.

In the snow, they can be downright scarey (interfere with braking far more than is necessary). My previous car, was a 2001 Echo without ABS. The brakes had very good stopping ability and were very predicatable.

With the ABS on my current Yaris, you never know if the brakes are going to be there when you really need to stop.
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #17
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
That is so true: snow with ABS = suprise no brakes! Without ABS you know to get off the gas pedal and pump the brakes. Also use the hand brake going down hill. You go SLOW. With ABS you expect the miricle lifesaver to do all the work. Well it doesnt!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #18
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt109 View Post
Because the system operates on a premise of reducing the brake pressure applied while it detects slippage/skidding/sliding. An experienced driver will keep the pressure on to a point just above that.

For an inexperienced driver it overcomes their deficiency in skill to do this.

Another problem is that it causes what is called "risk compensation," by which asserts drivers adapt to the safety benefit of ABS by driving more aggressively or relying on it too much.

There was a study done with Munich, Germany taxi cabs that concluded drivers of ABS-equipped cabs were taking more risks assuming that ABS would take care of them, while the non-ABS drivers drove more carefully since ABS would not be there to help in case of a dangerous situation. A similar study in Oslo, Norway found similar results.

But for "most people," ABS is a good thing; because "most people" cannot drive worth a shit!

Cheers! M2