Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #1
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
DIY: 700w Power Inverter & additional 12v aux. plug w/pics

In preparation for the vacation to California next week, additional power will be needed for the radar detector, phone chargers, PSP, 2.5" LCD monitor & the 40gb portable media player (for all those MP3s), and laptop. I already had a 300w power inverter that plugged into the 12v outlet, but with the other 12v items and that the need of AC power for the laptop and media player. I had a more powerful 700w power inverter that you hook up directly to the battery. The power cables that came with the inverter were too short and had clamps at the end. I wanted a more secure setup so first up was a trip to wal-mart for battery cables for the inverter. I settled on some 6ga 49in battery cables for a riding lawn mower.

These turned out to be the perfect length for this project while giving me few inches to get the power inverter where it fit best. I attached one end just behind the battery terminals. There is a set of bolts there so it worked well, much better than the clamps.

I need to dremel a bit off of the positive plastic cover and it will snap down perfect. I used red marker on one of the wires to make sure I didn't cross anything. After poking around on the engine bay side of the firewall I saw a rubber stopper and removed it finding the perfect sized hole roughly a half inch in size on the passenger side, perfectly placed where the inverter was going to be in the void behind the glovebox, next to where the cabin air filter is located. I had to sneak a drill to get through the carpeting, but even with the glovebox removed you can't see it.

After running the cables through I realized that this would be a excellent time to wire up that 12v aux. jack. I wanted something that wouldn't shut off when the car was off so this would be a good way. I had a couple eyelet connectors that were big enough for the screw type ends on the power inverter and for the correct gauge of wire I was using. I had been looking to install the extra 12v power outlet next to the existing one, but didn't want to tear into the car. I found a great spot that is out of view from driver and passenger, and would also prove useful for holding anything that might need a charge, the right side cubby in the middle. There was easy access to the back of the cubby with the glovebox removed so I drilled about a 1in hole near the top and installed the outlet and ran the wires over to the inverter. I also installed an in-line fuse.

And this is what it looks like at eye level finished:

I had already performed a test fit of the inverter, so I snaked it back up and connected the wires to the inverter and battery.

The last picture here isn't the best, but it's what your feet would see. The placement of the inverter is temporary. Later on I will permanently mount it and relocate the plug-ins and switch to just below the new 12v outlet vertically. Should look real nice and clean when it is done. This will work in its current configuration for my vacation then afterwards I can take care of the rest. I also put on my yarisworld &d TRD High Response muffler decals.

I will post new pics of the final assembly after my vacation in a couple of weeks.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Looks like a clean install..
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
njyaris
YARIS NEWBIE

Drives: YARIS 07 LIFTBACK
Send a message via AIM to njyaris Send a message via Yahoo to njyaris
cant wait to see the final assembly pics
Old 07-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
Astroman
Modded Moderator

After the trip I realized that moving the switch and plugs for the inverter will be absolutely necessary, although I am having second thoughts about mounting it in the passenger side cubby. The reason being is certain power plugs just wouldn't plug in (think wall-type cell phone chargers) with that configuration w/o the use of a ext. cord. I'll figure something out though. With a woman and 2 jobs finding time for these types of projects is tough. Thanks for the compliments so far!
Old 07-27-2007, 07:59 PM   #5
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
oh snap.....

DIY for installation of a ps2??... :)
Old 07-27-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
[QUOTE=Astroman;108102]
After poking around on the engine bay side of the firewall I saw a rubber stopper and removed it finding the perfect sized hole roughly a half inch in size on the passenger side, perfectly placed where the inverter was going to be in the void behind the glovebox, next to where the cabin air filter is located.

just a side note, for those with airconditioning this plug is where the drain line runs out.... also astroman, you better buy a grommet for that hole, or it will eventually rub away at the wire....
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:05 PM   #7
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post

just a side note, for those with airconditioning this plug is where the drain line runs out.... also astroman, you better buy a grommet for that hole, or it will eventually rub away at the wire....
Oooh, good point! Didn't think of that. Thanks for the heads up. Also I have air conditioning but the only thing was the rubber stopper, I didn't see any drain line.