Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Adjustment to the upper shock mounting point?

Does anybody make a part that allows adjustment to the top mount of the front suspension?

Based on my understanding of the front suspension setup, the upper shock mount is fixed. Camber is adjusted by swapping bolts at the bottom of the shock, and caster is not adjustable due to the fixed upper shock mount.

I'd love to be able to fiddle with the front shock (caster) angle via the upper mounting point. Has anyone heard of an aftermarket part that allows this? Do coilovers (like the basic tein setup) allow for any angle adjustment at the top of the shock where it meets the car body?

I'm not talking about a big change to the suspension's geometry. 1/16" of toe-in made a big improvement in how the car tracks. Now I'd like to see if a very mild adjustment to the strut angle improves steering feel. My goal would be to improve the feel without taxing other suspension/steering parts - hopefully an adjustment within the range of factory specs would be enough.

Thanks for any help...

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I haven't read of any such item for the Yaris. Otherwise I'd have them.

I once put a set of adjustable camber/caster plates in an '88 Stang I had. Those along with Koni shocks and lowering springs made that GT handle like a kart. And the ride was more comfy than the factory set-up. ++

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
Goose
Car Geek

Thanks for your reply. I was getting worried that my question seemed strange to everyone.

I can't believe somebody hasn't come up with an adjustable upper mount...

Old 06-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
if it's a minor adjustment (+/- about 1/2 degree) you can slot the holes with a dremel or cutting/grinding bit. as far as i know, if you wanna adjust caster (back to stock) parts will need replacing. so...slot the holes front to back if you wanna adjust caster.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
First just for clarity it's a strut, not a shock.

The reason it's not made is because the upper strut placement is under the cowling.

A pillow ball/adjustable mount would require cutting away the cowling, but few people would be willing to go that far. But I would!

You can certainly weld (or maybe bolt on) an upper mount, but it would be sourced separately.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
Goose
Car Geek

Sorry for the wrong terminology regarding shocks vs. struts (I really should know better).

Thanks for the info and opinions. Again, I'm considering a very minor change to the caster setting. For such a minor tweak, I also was thinking about cutting some kind of slot (or even just an oblong hole) in the stock upper mount. I doubt the change I'm considering would put any undue strain on the other components in the front suspension.

I'm going to check on the price for the OEM mounts (which is called "#2 suspension support"?); as you mentioned, if they're not too expensive, it might be fun to spend some quality time with a Dremel on 'em. If I screw up the new mounts for some reason, I'll be able to put things back to stock with my originals.

I'll be sure to pass along anything I learn. Please keep the suggestions coming!