Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
goku87

Drives: Black HB
Question 4 speakers vs 8 speakers

So I was thinking of getting two pairs of the SPX-17PRO hooked up to PDX-4.100 but then I thought of getting four pairs of the SPX-17REF hooked up to a PDX-4.150 (two in each door, and two in the back on each side). It would take some modding, but it seems like it might be fun. I've done some cool stuff but never messed with making new door panels. Would the added sound be worth it? Or no?

$5 says talnlnky is gonna say speakers in the back are pointless.

Last edited by goku87; 08-17-2009 at 12:27 PM.
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
speakers in the back are pointless.

on the serious side... doubling only makes +3db. so it's really pointless to have more than 1 pair of speakers. at least, in the front.

UNLESS every DB you get accounts for what you are trying to do....
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:21 AM   #3
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
speakers in the back are pointless.

on the serious side... doubling only makes +3db. so it's really pointless to have more than 1 pair of speakers. at least, in the front.

UNLESS every DB you get accounts for what you are trying to do....
Some of us prefer only driving speakers in the back, because it lets us locationally position the music in the rear and hold conversations in the front seat easilly. Not everyone goes for raw volume, some go for clarity or specifically 'relegating' the music to background instead of foreground even if we run it relatively loud. Between my enjoyment of music as 'background' noise, and the fact I usually have a CB or other two-way conversation going in the front seat, I actually have good reason to pump most of my music through my rear speakers.

As for paired-speakers, yes and no as to if it's worth it. Two speakers that combined have the same cone-area as one larger speaker will generally move more air (thus, more dB) from the same electrical power, but that requires aligning them and positioning them relatively precisely so their combined activity has constructive instead of destructive interference. There's expired patents out there describing the math, but it's questionable if it could be even done in a car's interior short of a full-sized van.

For the Yaris? Just get one good pair of speakers wherever you tune the majority of your music to (front or rear), don't worry about the other pair of speakers, and get a bunch of sound dampening installed. Removing all the road noise and wind noise will do a lot more to improve things than upgrading to a bajillion speakers.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:00 AM   #4
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Then we have the issue of imaging and accuracy. I would surmise that if one is doubling up on speakers like this without any processing one is not looking for SQ...
Old 08-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
reaper

Drives: yaris yrx sedan
speakers in the back are pointless. i've got the Type-X REF 6.5 running off the 4.150 in my car. and if you buy an 'active crossover' you can run all 4channels to the splits. eg; channel 1-left tweeter, channel 2- left mid, channel 3-right tweeter and channel 4- right mid ;) most good quality active crossovers boosts your deck frequencys too, making everything louder!
reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWings View Post
Some of us prefer only driving speakers in the back, because it lets us locationally position the music in the rear and hold conversations in the front seat easilly. Not everyone goes for raw volume, some go for clarity or specifically 'relegating' the music to background instead of foreground even if we run it relatively loud. Between my enjoyment of music as 'background' noise, and the fact I usually have a CB or other two-way conversation going in the front seat, I actually have good reason to pump most of my music through my rear speakers.
^
This.

I guess not many here carry passengers in the front passenger seat and hold conversations with those passengers.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:58 AM   #7
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

That's funny.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:02 AM   #8
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
You're sad.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:06 PM   #9
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by goku87 View Post
So I was thinking of getting two pairs of the SPX-17PRO hooked up to PDX-4.100 but then I thought of getting four pairs of the SPX-17REF hooked up to a PDX-4.150 (two in each door, and two in the back on each side). It would take some modding, but it seems like it might be fun. I've done some cool stuff but never messed with making new door panels. Would the added sound be worth it? Or no?

$5 says talnlnky is gonna say speakers in the back are pointless.
I don't have to... you already know it, Plus... they do have a point, they stimulate the economy by ensuring money transfers hands quicker than needed.

New lesson... the volume won't get much louder, but you'll pay twice as much... it'll actually even worsen basically every aspect of sound quality. Just buy better speakers instead... Go with some high end drivers and make your own component setup and then just go active on the crossovers.

Last edited by talnlnky; 08-19-2009 at 03:47 PM.
talnlnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #10
goku87

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
I don't have to... you already know it, Plus... they do have a point, they stimulate the economy by ensuring money transfers hands quicker than needed.

New lesson... the volume won't get much louder, but you'll pay twice as much... it'll actually even worsen basically every aspect of sound quality. Just buy better speakers instead... Go with some high end drivers and make your own component setup and then just go active on the crossovers.
alaska not being a prime spot for audio, we are limited to 3 stores that sell car audio stuff, aside from best buy and walmart lol. needless to say, selection is limited. so, if you had unlimited funds, what kind of speakers would you buy, and why?
Old 08-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #11
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I've got 8 Type X's and I love it. Sounds great.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:53 AM   #12
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

here we go with the unlimited funds thing...

I'd look at four different setups, and if I had fundage I'd prolly buy them all.

I'd mount some JBL pro audio compression drivers on some custom made horns...

I'd keep my current setup of Hybrid Audio in there and magically make Scott give me the newest designs he's working on...

I'd like to get my hands on a Rainbow CS 360.30 to give it a shot. $12K anyone? I thought the Focal Be set was expensive!

Then there's the Critical Mass Electrostats for the car. I thought 12K was expensive...how about the $260K setup?
Old 08-20-2009, 05:37 AM   #13
goku87

yeah, thats pretty much rediculous. cool stuff though. didnt even know about it! lol

http://www.woofersetc.com/p7178/CS-3...Way-System.htm
Old 08-20-2009, 07:43 AM   #14
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
Thank you for the idea of placing the music in the rear... i put it around -4 and it sounds great, i can crank it up to around 45-55 and its loud but i can still talk with a normal volume. =D

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #15
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by goku87 View Post
alaska not being a prime spot for audio, we are limited to 3 stores that sell car audio stuff, aside from best buy and walmart lol. needless to say, selection is limited. so, if you had unlimited funds, what kind of speakers would you buy, and why?
I would pay to have some components specially made. I would want something like a 7" driver with around 12mm 1way linear x-max with a super low inductance (Le), a 4-5" speaker to play the mids, and a small tweet for the highs. And the install would be where 70% of the money would be spent... I'd have the midbass and mid installed in the doors, but in ported boxes... would require a crazy amount of fiberglass skill to do properly... but would be SOOOOO incredibly worth it in the long run.

if there actually was a budget .... I'd probably end up with take my drivers (individual speakers) from companies like Seas, Scan Speak, Morel, and then run an active setup... each speaker gets its own amp channel.

My current set of gear is pretty darn good, better than just about any component setup you could find in stores... and it wasn't that expensive.... $150 for midbasses, $100 for my mids, $30 for the tweets. the crossover will add some costs ($50) and then there are the amps $250 (used), deck $160 (used, retail was $1500), 30band stereo eq's $175 (used), Active X-over $45 (used and broken, had to solder a spot to fix it). Buying used gear can save a lot of money, though you have to make sure that the stuff was taken well care of. All my equipment, including 00awg cable and rca's was less than $1000, but if you were to buy similar quality gear in a shop, you'd pay probably 3,000 - 4,000 just for the parts.

Only once have I bought a speaker from a brick and mortar shop... and that was an $800 eclipse sub back in 01. You can get a lot of great stuff for much less if you look around... Small companies aimed at the DIY crowd usually have some of the best designed subs on the market, tho, many of those companies go through times of hardship when they start to grow too fast so you have to be careful.

The best sub I've ever used/owned hands down was only $370 and was from a little company in Seattle... unfortunately they went out of business because they tried to grow too fast a few years back.

Last edited by talnlnky; 08-20-2009 at 12:09 PM.
talnlnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #16
PatrickJohnson

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I should point out that even though you are only going to get 3db, +3db is actually doubling volume. having said that, unless youare going to run more power to the extra speakers, you won't even notice THAT much volume...
PatrickJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:33 AM   #17
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Which sub company was that again Taln?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:13 AM   #18
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
hi from what i understand rear fill music is only 2% of your sound no need to pump to much highes in the back the front stage is ware you want to spend the most time and money on i went from arc 6 1/2 " 2 ways up front and 5 1/4 " in the rears changed the fron to focal 3 ways wow what a big big gain still not sure if im going to go focal 2 way or maybe 8" focal 2 way for a litle more mid bass i use a arc audio 300x4 highes amp and little more for the 2 arc 10" subs getting ready to buld a fiberglass sub floor that hols 3 or 4 10" for a bit more kick :) it gets off real well already bit i want lots more i would like to hear some good input about using 3 or 4 diamond 10" subs powerd by my arc audio 1000x1 sub amp i have installed now and works very well it will run a 1 ohm load i have herd good things about diamond but is it better than the arc 10" subs i run now

pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote