Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
jemmah

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Exclamation Strut replacement

All ready to go with a McPherson strut replacement this weekend. Got everything I need including a spring compressor. After reading over the disassemble/reassemble in Toyota Manual I notice that it recommends the bearing on the top of the strut be removed by a hydraulic press. If this is true I'll be up shits creek without a paddle with the strut removed and unable to complete the task. Can this bearing be removed at home by a garage mechanic without it becoming a major issue. I know someone will indicate (as they always do no matter what the item is) that replacing the struts isn't needed. But I got 170K on a 2007 Hatch and it's time!!
jemmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Have you looked through the installation DIYs that are on this site? I'm quite sure there are alternatives to using a hydraulic press!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You definitely should not need a press to remove/replace them. I haven't done strut cartridges on a Yaris yet, but last week I did them on my 92 Celica and they pulled off by hand with no effort required.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I would think that the new struts would have the bearing installed with it being just a matter of removing the spring and placing it on the new piece. I don't remember dealing with that issue when I replaced with TRD's. Could have and I forgot but I know a press wasn't needed during the process.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
No press required for my in driveway change-over. Although it was only months old at the time therefore nothing was ceased/rusted yet.

Go For It!!!

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
strut replacement