Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
third brake light bulb fault

Problem with my Yaris 1 litre 2005 'old type model'. The brake light bulb in the tailgate lasts about 3-4 months before going black. I know what is happening, the tungsten filament vaporises and the deposit settles on the inside of the glass. I have tried different bulb manufacturers to no avail, in this condition the light is barely visible. no other bulbs are affected. Has anyone else encountered this problem and does anyone know how to prevent it? I do not keep the footbrake on at traffic lights but somehow the bulb seems to be getting too hot. All ideas and suggestions most welcome.

Regards Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Maybe try an LED bulb?
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Geoff Peace

I have investigated that possibility but the only ones I could find were too large to fit in the light. Thankyou for your reply.

Regards Geoff Peace.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Peace View Post
Problem with my Yaris 1 litre 2005 'old type model'. The brake light bulb in the tailgate lasts about 3-4 months before going black. I know what is happening, the tungsten filament vaporises and the deposit settles on the inside of the glass. I have tried different bulb manufacturers to no avail, in this condition the light is barely visible. no other bulbs are affected. Has anyone else encountered this problem and does anyone know how to prevent it? I do not keep the footbrake on at traffic lights but somehow the bulb seems to be getting too hot. All ideas and suggestions most welcome.

Regards Geoff Peace.
You might want to check the connections to the lamp. Frequent bulb failure is usually a poor connection or ground circuit that causes the lamp(s) to flicker when power is applied and moreso when the car is moving along a roadway (vibrations). Try checking and re-doing the circuitry. The bulbs are made to last LONGER than you are getting! other owners are not having that issue so there has to be a fault in your system. Good Luck!
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Geoff Peace

Thankyou for your reply. I understand exactly what you mean by vibrating filaments and intermittant contact. The cicuitry is fine I have checked the earth and cleaned and silicone greased all the connector pins including the wire connectors on the bulb itself. The point is the bulbs are not failing in that the filament is broken they are becoming dimmer and dimmer over say three months due to the glass becoming black on the inside. Does anyone know of a 'superior' type of bulb?

Regards Geoff Peace.