Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
pianoman
I've made a post!

Drives: yatis hatchback07
need advice on firewall paint damage :c

Hey mates, could really use your help. I spilled a load of dot3 down my firewall under the brake cylinder master. It made the paint discoloured and bubbly like. i scraped off most i could and resprayed it with killrust paint.

BUT i cant reach the lower bottom of the firewall let alone see it. its too cramp and far.what i did is just sprayed hardcore everywhere and over the damaged paint with killrust enamel spray paint after i flushed it with water and dishwasher.

will that be okay to to prevent rust? there is absolutely no bare metal showing and the damaged paint is adhered quite strongly on still. I cant reach under there to scrape the damaged paint off. theres a metal cover below aswell so i cant crawl under the car and do it. should i save for a couple of weeks and take it to the shop or is just covering it in killrust enamel spray paint okay? it dried and harden just fine.

thanks heaps guys sorry for the trouble :C

Last edited by pianoman; 05-01-2013 at 06:05 PM.
pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
lamadoo

Drives: 2007 Yaris 3door white
I had the same problem and almost gave up but if you crawl under your tyre area and peak on the opposite end (hidden from view if your at a wrong angle)of where you change your oil you can easily scratch away and respray it.

I noticed the primer is not affected by the brake fluid even if the paint bubbled up as hell. Good on toyota for using a great anti corrosive primer

I wouldn't worry about it piano. When i scratched off all the bubbly paint the primer was still in perfect sweet condition. I actually made a mess of my car as using a spray can is really messy. I should of alternated between tin can paint and spray aerosol.

Got paint on my rubber hoses and it even made its way up to the solenoid and engine bay area as i was spraying from the bottom of the car. I dont know if paint on your hoses or rubber is a bad thing but it sure does make your engine bay not look slick as it was before!!
lamadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
screenprintr

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
Didn't know they used a good Primer. Good to know they're doing a great job on our cars. Guess that's why Toyota's are lasting so long.
screenprintr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
im sorry to hear about the mishap. you can carefully have it sprayed with water and dishwasher mix (more dilute than usual) and it should be enough. however, in my opinion it only is enough until you are 100% sure that you have washed all spilt on areas.

if bare metal is exposed then you might have to respray with paint just enough to cover the exposed and "almost-exposed" parts evenly. Rust starts from oxygen concentration (or non-concentration, thereof) of certain areas relative to another.

(Of course there are other rust initators out there, but im just talking about exposure of a certain area to oxygen as compared to another area.)
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote