Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
427chev

Drives: 2009 Yaris with TRD parts
Having my stock driver's seat custom-fitted and stiffened

A local upholsterer did some real nice work on my '09 'Vette driver's side seat (which, in stock form, was less comfortable than my Yaris's seat).

The Yaris seats really aren't bad for a car in this price range, but some high density foam and a little more webbing/wires can yield a HUGE improvement in the right hands. I am particularly interested in more mid-back support, more lumbar support and stiffer side-bolsters for improved lateral support while cornering hard.

The goal is to have a seat that's roughly on-par with the stock 2009 Fit seats. I expect it to run me around $250.

Finding someone do to this type of work can be tough, since many are afraid to touch a seat that has a built-in airbag (even though the airbags are located in dedicated compartments).

I'll post some pics and give a detailed written summary once I get the car back.

BTW: I love this little car. I've had a lot of "fancy rides," yet I like this car better in many ways. The TRD shocks/springs/rear bar totally transform the driving experience with very little sacrifice in ride quality. Mine is a 5 speed manual - base 3 door hatch with the upgrade package. I also replaced the shifter with the leather wrapped TRD shifter. Doing so unexpectedly improved shift quality, since the OEM plastic ball apparently flexes enough to adversely impact shifter precision.

Last edited by 427chev; 03-19-2009 at 05:57 PM.
427chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Good to know about the shifter.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
427chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Good to know about the shifter.
The TRD knob truly improved shifter precision. I wasn't expecting that.

I'd highly recommend the knob.

It's Part Number PTR04-00000-05
2009 Base model Bayou Blue 3 door hatch, 5 speed manual trans, Option Group D, factory floor mats, accessory mud guards, TRD shocks/springs/rear bar, TRD leather wrapped shift knob, Pioneer FH-P8000BT "double DIN" head unit & 4 Infiniti Kappa speakers, stainless steel license plate screws, Toyota stainless exhaust tip, enhanced driver's seat (professional upholsterer added spring mesh to lower seat cushion which DRAMATICALLY improved support/comfort and also built up lumbar region in seat back for more aggressive lumbar support. Seat Mod Cost: $125; the seat "feels" $350 better.)
Old 03-23-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
427chev

Update:

I had the seat "done" today. There's no point in posting photos, since the internal differences aren't visible.

The upholsterer added a spring mesh to the back cushion and pushed out the lumabr region by adding some foam behind it. He also added a layer of stiffer foam to the lower cushion.

The seat feels SIGNIFICANTLY firmer and more supportive.

Is costs just $125 (plus $60 to rent a Jeep Compass all day from Enterprise).

I'd recommend this to anyone who had a GOOD upholsterer in their area.
2009 Base model Bayou Blue 3 door hatch, 5 speed manual trans, Option Group D, factory floor mats, accessory mud guards, TRD shocks/springs/rear bar, TRD leather wrapped shift knob, Pioneer FH-P8000BT "double DIN" head unit & 4 Infiniti Kappa speakers, stainless steel license plate screws, Toyota stainless exhaust tip, enhanced driver's seat (professional upholsterer added spring mesh to lower seat cushion which DRAMATICALLY improved support/comfort and also built up lumbar region in seat back for more aggressive lumbar support. Seat Mod Cost: $125; the seat "feels" $350 better.)
Old 03-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
You know you could always post pictures! It's always pretty cool to see other people's Yarii.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote