Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-11-2009, 12:42 AM   #1
Jrilla

Drives: 09 Yaris 4Dr Sedan
Need fog light switch and relay

I just bought my 09 Sedan and thought if I could install a set of fog lights I bought a few years ago I could avoid paying for the entire kit. I know this sounds really cheap, but they are nice lights and I am sure if they don't work to my satisfaction I will go ahead and buy the kit and the 09 trim plates.

The only thing I am missing is the relay and the switch. So far I have cut holes in the existing blank trim pieces and JB welded the lights to them. I have sufficient wiring that came with set, but I wanted to get a switch that would go into one of the empty spots next to the e-brake. I assume I would need a wire harness to snap into the switch also. Does anyone have a spare switch for sale with the connector with a short length of wires coming out of it?

Also, I need a relay to complete the installation. Does anyone have a spare for sale, or the specs on what I would need to buy. It looks like a simple SPDT relay, but I suppose I would need to make sure the relay I get is the right type of relay with the correct pinout and voltage.

If no one has these could someone post links to where the individual parts can be bought. All I have seen were the complete kit, and if I have to get them from Toyota, I would think I could get the entire kit for a little more money.

Thanks a lot for any help.
Jrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
MGargano

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
I have the relay and in-cabin wiring left over from the fog light kit I bought and installed from Garm. All it's missing is the switch that mounts near the parking brake, which I've already sold.

The switch would plug into that green connector
MGargano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Here's an ebay link to the relay for just over $10 with shipping (I bought my relay from this seller):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...4506.m20.l1116

For the switch, I used an illuminated rocker switch and mounted it next to the dimmer rheostat.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #4
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Drives: 2009 Bayou Yaris Liftback
^^^^

That relay is if you are to follow installing the lights via the system itslef and have it show up on the cluster.

(P.S. got mine for $7.90 [includes shipping] from ebay!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...4506.m20.l1116)

ambientlifestyle.com------------ambientlifestyle.ning.com

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
microimageonline.com------------microimage.ning.com
Treyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
Jrilla

I assume that the relay that CTScott and Treyz posted links for should both work even though they are different part numbers. It looks like the relay Treyz posted a link for is the right one based on the item description though. Thanks guys

Mgargano, thanks for posting, but I am looking for the relay that will plug into the fuseblock under the dash so I can use the indicator on the cluster. It looks like the relay in your picture has its own harness. If I can't find a switch with the connector, I may need to look you up again. Thanks again.

The reason I want the switch is because i don't want to drill any holes in the dash for an aftermarket switch. If there is an aftermarket switch that will fit in hole next to the e-brake that will work, I am open to that. I have read that some will not function properly though due to a difference in the circuit board or something like that.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The relays that we posted are the same (his is a better deal though). There are a bunch of different Toyota part numbers that all are identical in form, fit and function.

With the fog switch, unless you buy the real Toyota one you may have some issues. When you use the fuse panel relay method, the fog lights just need a switch to connect pin 2 to pin 3 on the headlight stalk. The OEM switch separates this switch from the lighting input for the indicators on the switch.

The problem with a lot of the aftermarket switches is that they combine the switch circuit with the indicator lighting circuit. This causes one of the indicators to remain on, even when the car is off.

The switch that I used would easily fit in one of the center knockouts, but to me the fog switch belongs on the stalk or by the dimmer, not in the center console.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

I've used this guide twice (both Yarii) ...

http://yarisworld.com/forums/showthr...DIY+Fog+lights

The relay we posted up from ebay beats the dealers part which went from $23 (las year) to $71.33 (this year). I asked the dealerships I called, "you mean to tell me that there was an almost $50 price hike on this relay?" They wewre stumped by my Q and had no legit answer.

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
Old 08-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
Jrilla

CTScott can you post a picture of your switch that you put next to the dimmer? And also a link to a similar switch? If it looks good on your's I might consider this location. I just can't imagine cutting a hole in my dash that would look like it was from the factory.

Right now I am considering just using the parking lights to trigger the fog lights (with my own relay for now) to see if I like the look of the aftermarket fogs I have installed. If I like them I will want to find a switch that works. Otherwise I will just get the entire kit and then buy the 09 trim pieces from toyota (only $22 + tax).

I have seen switches that don't separate the illum from the switch, and it seems like there should be a distinct difference between the switches that do this and do not. Any ideas?

I ordered the relay already so I could get this install going, and since i am already going to install a remote starter, i might as well just put an extra relay under the dash for to turn on the fogs whenever the parking lights are on just to see if I like the ones I installed. They look good now, but I haven't run any juice to them yet. They may be completely off line for all I know. And since I JB welded them into the blank trim pieces, there is no adjustment. I will post back once the install is complete, but for now, thanks for the input. If you find or have a switch that you know will work, let me know.

Thanks again.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrilla View Post
CTScott can you post a picture of your switch that you put next to the dimmer? And also a link to a similar switch? If it looks good on your's I might consider this location. I just can't imagine cutting a hole in my dash that would look like it was from the factory.

Right now I am considering just using the parking lights to trigger the fog lights (with my own relay for now) to see if I like the look of the aftermarket fogs I have installed. If I like them I will want to find a switch that works. Otherwise I will just get the entire kit and then buy the 09 trim pieces from toyota (only $22 + tax).

I have seen switches that don't separate the illum from the switch, and it seems like there should be a distinct difference between the switches that do this and do not. Any ideas?

I ordered the relay already so I could get this install going, and since i am already going to install a remote starter, i might as well just put an extra relay under the dash for to turn on the fogs whenever the parking lights are on just to see if I like the ones I installed. They look good now, but I haven't run any juice to them yet. They may be completely off line for all I know. And since I JB welded them into the blank trim pieces, there is no adjustment. I will post back once the install is complete, but for now, thanks for the input. If you find or have a switch that you know will work, let me know.

Thanks again.
Here's mine:
Fog Switch.jpg

I'm not sure about finding the switches that do vs. do not separate switching from illumination (other than with the OEM switch).
Old 08-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #10
Yaris0609

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 DR HB
I have a set of 09 fog covers. i can ship them to you for 35 dollars, they are brand new in the packaging. PM me if you want them.
Yaris0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #11
Jrilla

Where did you get that switch? I never thought of a round switch since all the ones in the kits are rectangular.

Thanks anyway Yaris0609 I can get them from the dealer for $30. And I am not sure if I need them yet. However it is looking more like I will need them since I didn't realize the blank trim pieces were not facing straight when I JB welded my lights to them.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrilla View Post
Where did you get that switch? I never thought of a round switch since all the ones in the kits are rectangular.

Thanks anyway Yaris0609 I can get them from the dealer for $30. And I am not sure if I need them yet. However it is looking more like I will need them since I didn't realize the blank trim pieces were not facing straight when I JB welded my lights to them.
The switch is from digikey:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...ame=67-1909-ND

I printed a label for it with my label printer.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #13
Jrilla

I just looked at my dash and I don't have any room right there like you do. I'll have to find another place. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #14
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treyz View Post
^^^^

That relay is if you are to follow installing the lights via the system itslef and have it show up on the cluster.

(P.S. got mine for $7.90 [includes shipping] from ebay!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...4506.m20.l1116)

I used the relay that came with my kit and just wired the contacts to the factory relay plug and I get the dash indicator. You don't *need* to have the factory relay to plug in to get the dash light to work.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #15
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
I used the relay that came with my kit and just wired the contacts to the factory relay plug and I get the dash indicator. You don't *need* to have the factory relay to plug in to get the dash light to work.
You can, but it requires more work and about the same in $ if you have to go and buy the wire and the crimp blades (assuming thats what you did).

Pic of your work? Curious to see exactly how you did the wiring.

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
Old 08-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #16
Jrilla

So I thought about it and I am pretty sure I am going to buy the kit. I screwed up the lights by JB Welding them to the blank trim pieces at the wrong angle so it would be too messy to make them straight and it would look cheap.

Here are the 2 I am looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07...=p4506.c0.m245

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07...=p4506.c0.m245

Do you think either one would work or would one be better than the other? Both say for only 06 and 07 4 dr, but I have an 09 and the trim pieces look very similar.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #17
Jrilla

Thanks guys for all the help so far. I am still trying to get my fogs installed before I buy anything else, and I am not sure what I need to connect to the under hood fuse box. I know what pin I need to connect to, but I don't have any female spade connectors that will work to connect to that pin. It looks like the perfect sized connector comes with the kits from the first picture above. Does anyone know where to get that part by itself. My auto parts stores don't carry those particular parts, but they may have something that would work if I knew what I was looking for. I thought about just soldering the wire to the actual wire below the connector, but I don't feel like taking the entire fuse box off yet. I tried releasing the connector itself, but did not know how and did not want to break anything trying.

Any info is very much appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-20-2009, 09:59 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I found that a power pin for an old PC/AT style power supply connector worked perfectly (the old single row connectors with six pins each).

The real Toyota pin is part number 82998-24380 (and include the pin and 160mm of wire crimped to it).