Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-30-2013, 03:34 AM   #1
ehabx2007
Ehab El-Masry

Drives: Yaris 2008
Exclamation D3 Power

Hello there

I got my Yaris 2008 4 months ago, yes it is second hand. It is with an automatic gear box. I already have previous experience driving with automatic gear vehicles, and I know that the D3 should move the car forward without pressing on the fuel, which happens in my Yaris, but still it is not moving the car forward as quickly as other new cars, it is somehow quite slowly, and sometimes i need to press on the fuel if i am in some jammed traffic..

Any body knows how this issue can be solved ? or even which part of the car responsible for such laggy/slowly D3?

thnx
ehabx2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
It's probably due to low idle speed. Not a problem, desirable in my opinion. Why would you want the car taking off by it's self? Now, if the idle is 1000 rpm or higher and the car is not moving perhaps there is some issue. Do you have a tach?
Amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:49 AM   #3
ehabx2007
Ehab El-Masry

Drives: Yaris 2008
well yea i do have the tach, and i guess its at 1000 while idle state. The car still moves but the issue is with the low speed of the first take-off..thnx for your reply
ehabx2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
I think you just need to push harder on the pedal. Some throttle position sensors are not as sensitive as others.

Now, does this happen only when the engine is cold?

Does the car seem to move better when it shifts up to the next gear?

The Yaris has a small engine, and may seem sluggish until you have at least 2500 rpm.
Amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I think he is refering the the throttle respose with the Drive-By-Wire (DBW) throttle body.

With DBW, there is a slight lag between the gas pedal and the throttle body. It isn't as fast responce like a cable driven throttle body. They do make thottle response adjusters that will help with that. It is a piggy back module connected to the thottle control module next to your gas pedal. i think MicroImageonline.com sells them on his website.. Greddy I think makes one too.

Someone else shine some light on this also.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
Mittelklasse
Problem, officer?

Drives: '06 Yaris 5DLB 1.5
AFAIK, the D3 position will not change the throttle responses; unlike 'sports mode' in other cars like BMWs, or the newer Priuses (Prii?).
It actually just limits the shifting range to 3 gears.

On lagging: I do find that what really lags, is the transmission; as when you're on the highway and suddenly go pedal-to-the-metal (er.. carpet?),
there's a huge delay when the car tries to shift to the lower gear (sometimes 2 gears lower!).
A simple fix, is that you've to anticipate such acceleration and manually shift down beforehand.
Mittelklasse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automatic transmission