Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

Drives: Yaris 2006
Send a message via MSN to aucorium
diy for steering wheel change

has anybody changed a steering wheel on a yaris yet? if so , i wanna put on a momo , but im looking for a DIY? any help would be greatly appreciated!
aucorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:06 AM   #2
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
What about the airbag?
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:59 PM   #3
Kaeon

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona54 View Post
What about the airbag?
Apparently he doesn't like the way his face looks now, no air bag = a free make over
Kaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
You two are aware that all you have to do to disable the airbag is disconnect the negative battery cable, right?

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:18 PM   #5
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by aucorium View Post
has anybody changed a steering wheel on a yaris yet? if so , i wanna put on a momo , but im looking for a DIY? any help would be greatly appreciated!
I think etimago has a momo.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:54 PM   #6
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
you will have to disconnect the battery. remove the airbag and the steering wheel. you'll need an adapter of some sort to install the aftermarket steering wheel.

thats it pretty much. and i'll rather not have an airbag on my car. i have seen what they can do and i'll take my chances with the seatbelt on. planing on removing my stock wheel and going with a momo also, great quality.
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:26 PM   #7
Meteorite Man
Passin' The Gas...Station

Drives: Same As You But Different
Send a message via Yahoo to Meteorite Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
You two are aware that all you have to do to disable the airbag is disconnect the negative battery cable, right?
That applies to maintenance, not driving around "knowing" the airbag won't deploy because you disconnected the negative cable.

And when the car dies 'cause the battery is not hooked up there is not much of a chance of a frontal collision while parked on the side of the road.

I thought there was a "loop" that controlled the ignition/operation of the car. When the bag does deploy, the car will not operate. The bag sensor has to complete this electrical "loop" to tell the car it's ok to operate. I'm thinking someone who is better versed in this will step forward. The aftermarket kit must have an "override" part/device that will continue this "loop".

I'll wait for the expert, should be here at anytime....always is.

Chuck

Chuck
Meteorite Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:21 PM   #8
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
and you will get the airbag warning light, without it...

also good luck, if you happen to get in an accident and the airbag is missing, not much luck suing for face repairs.
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:22 PM   #9
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey1320 View Post
. i have seen what they can do and i'll take my chances with the seatbelt on..
please provide some links, I'd like to read up on this claim of yours... I have seen what they can do also, and thats save your head...
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:00 PM   #10
drifto

Drives: 07 5spd Yaris LB
Send a message via MSN to drifto
lol i have to agree with not having an air bag. i hate to say it but most times your face is hurt more with the bag than without. that bag deploys in milliseconds and ive seen a few friends including myself get facial burns due to it. just wear your seatbelt thats all. so whatever not to get off topic... they sell adapters that keep the srs drivers airbag circuit shorted (simulates there being an airbag present) just search sites that carry hubs and steering wheels, easy to find. and its pretty difficult to blow-up an airbag installing a st.wheel. unless your applying voltage to it, which if you are your insane. some details may be off but most cars are the same.
1.disconnect the neg. battery cable and wait for 2min. straighten wheel so it is at 12 o'clock
2. unplug the srs connector at the bottom of the steering wheel. it is yellow
3. there should be 2 torx bolts one on each side of airbag, remove them.
4. pull off airbag.
5. remove wires for horn .
6. mark steering shaft and hub for alignment for later when putting in new wheel. remove steering hub bolt, usually 17 or 19mm
7. use a pull hammer to remove wheel, but if not available with 2 hands pull wheel towards yourself, might have to rock back and forth a little . it might be tough, so be carefull not to smack yourself in the face with it when it pops off its not that bad really, anyone here can do it. the most important part it making sure the new wheel is aligned properly.

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd
http://microimage.ning.com/
http://www.microimageonline.com/store.html
drifto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:32 PM   #11
kimona
Super Moderator

I wonder what your insurance company will think if they become aware that you have disabled or worse removed the airbag. And, will they cover you in case of an accident.

Somehow, I think you could be in for a mess of trouble.

Sorry, but what's up with some of you guys... wanting to disable DRL's and airbags?!
Old 07-13-2007, 08:40 PM   #12
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona54 View Post
I wonder what your insurance company will think if they become aware that you have disabled or worse removed the airbag. And, will they cover you in case of an accident.

Somehow, I think you could be in for a mess of trouble.

Sorry, but what's up with some of you guys... wanting to disable DRL's and airbags?!
I just think you wouldn't get the air bag discount.

Airbags are for sissies.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:00 PM   #13
kimona
Super Moderator

Actually, I don't think there is any insurance discount for the driver's side airbag. Front airbags are required standard equipment in all later model cars and are assumed present and fully functional by insurance companies.

Try telling your insurance company you have removed the steering wheel airbag and installed an aftermarket steering wheel.

Good luck!
Old 07-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #14
Meteorite Man
Passin' The Gas...Station

Drives: Same As You But Different
Send a message via Yahoo to Meteorite Man
I think I'd take the burn....1st degree, hell I get that trying to pull my fishsticks out of the oven. Unless you can tell me you're an emergency responder, I'll believe what I think is a good idea.

I'm in no means discouraging the mod. Sounds pretty unique. I thought the steering wheel mod went out with the popularity of the airbag. Everyone does what they feel they want to or need to. I just don't see where there is a pro/con debate for airbags.

I think one time you do not want the airbag to go off is if you are smoking a pipe. I don't mean the kind "some" of you use recreationally, the kind dear old grandad used to puff away on. That would be a bad day.

Chuck

Chuck
Meteorite Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:40 AM   #15
jdium
Mr Attitude

Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd
My girlfriend is a Paramedic. After hearing her opinion on airbags just now, I'll never remove mine. She says she's seen light burns, but mostly on the inner arms of the arm holding the steering wheel. Being that she never talks about what she sees at work, I was shocked in how she reacted when I told her people think airbags are more dangerous than not having one. She summed it up with my type of statement, look at it like population control. Only the stupid people will be harmed...

Has anyone actually LOOKED at their Yaris, especially the LB? There is only inches of car in front of the driver...I'll take my chances with my 6 airbags or whatever the LB has...

Aftermarket wheels look great, but they belong on the track or at the show, that's my opinion.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:06 AM   #16
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Another option is a TRD steering wheel with airbag, I think it was stock from the Supra, looks pretty good.

I indeed have a Momo steering wheel, and indeed the airbag warning light stays on at all times. But I do wear my seatbelt at all times (I'm kinda anal about that)...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:46 AM   #17
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

yeah, I snap mine in as soon as I get in the car

you know there was a time when there was no such thing as an air bag. the one in my vw malfuctioned and the light stayed on, the shop told me it would not deploy in that state and they wanted to maintenance it, I drove like that for 3 years, traded it in like that

I guess I'm an idiot too.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:07 AM   #18
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
heh... some people go skydiving, some dive with man-eating sharks, our extreme sport is driving without airbags

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote