Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-06-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
leasaunce

Drives: Toyota Yaris
More power, with a push of a button??

Hi all,

is there a piggyback that have 2 settings like...Normal or Sport mode? (Just like the "M" button on the BMW M5 n M6, it gives more power).

any one can show me a piggyback that has this feature???
leasaunce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
Turbo&Auto

Drives: 07
Not going to happen.....

Nitrous button maybe LOL!
Turbo&Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
there doesn't seem to be anything as "simple", especially not for our cars. Like T&A said, nitrous button would be the closest Or if you have a turbo, using a scramble boost button to temporarily raise the maximum boost...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
I've always wondered why someone didn't offer an aftermarket ECU that did this... 2 or 3 different settings available with the flip of a switch. It couldn't be that hard to make, could it???

I've seen a company that sells that MAF resistor mod that had a switch for different settings, but you had to turn the car off before you flipped the switch or it would throw a CEL.

~YR
Old 08-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Revenge View Post
I've always wondered why someone didn't offer an aftermarket ECU that did this... 2 or 3 different settings available with the flip of a switch. It couldn't be that hard to make, could it???

I've seen a company that sells that MAF resistor mod that had a switch for different settings, but you had to turn the car off before you flipped the switch or it would throw a CEL.

~YR
heh.. that's useful...

"oh crap this guy's coming up fast behind me flashing his lights I think he wants to race, let me stop here in the middle of the highway so I can switch to high power mode!!!"

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:38 AM   #6
-m-

Drives: stock for now
Actualy they can be made so that the switch is seamless. My other car is a Suzuki Swift and there is an upgrade made like this...its actualy two seperate chips (one being the OEM the other being the upgraded) mounted on a board with a switch that lets you seamlessly cross over. Its great for emissions testing so that you use the factory program to pass or if the vehicle is ever serviced it keeps thing like the rev limiter stock so that people don't bash the crap out of the car bouncing off of 10krpm shifts. You can switch it over on the highway while driving without the car ever losing a beat...not sure why you would want to though

Is there even an aftermarket chip made for the Yaris? I know there are a few tuners that can dyno a car and burn a chip. Might be the only way. Power wise I can't see a chip alone on these cars making any kind of appreciable difference in power unless its made to work with upgraded parts like cams and such.
-m- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #7
bearda

Drives: 2006 Mazda3 Sedan
m has it dead on, it's hard enough to find a chip that actually adds enough power to make a difference right now. The M5 works by restricting the engine whenever that button isn't pressed in the interests of fuel economy. There isn't that much power to spare on the Yaris....
Old 08-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #8
Turbo&Auto

Drives: 07
I believe unichip has SOMETHING like this more or less power switch but I could be wrong. NOS would be the real fun switch IMO :)
Turbo&Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:19 PM   #9
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
NOS is a definate option... but everything you would need to do it properly on our vehicles is pricey
Old 08-06-2007, 03:32 PM   #10
Vic-2NZFE

Drives: Yaris 2NZFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
heh.. that's useful...

"oh crap this guy's coming up fast behind me flashing his lights I think he wants to race, let me stop here in the middle of the highway so I can switch to high power mode!!!"

Hey dude use the pannic button (NOS)

It's a Vitz!
Vic-2NZFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:15 PM   #11
jdium
Mr Attitude

Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd
People need to realize that there isn't much more power in these cars as they come off the lot. The manufacturer wouldn't leave too much on the table in a sector where people are deciding on a Fit over a Yaris because of it's 109 hp compared to 106...

There is power to be had if you want to void every level of your warranty and rebuild / turbo, etc...
Old 08-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #12
AlphaFox

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback - silver
maybe stick a poetatoe in the tail pipe when you want to go slow, then remove to go fast!
AlphaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:28 PM   #13
seanele

Drives: '07 Blazing Blue LB, '09 Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFox View Post
maybe stick a poetatoe in the tail pipe when you want to go slow, then remove to go fast!

..whois removing and whois driving??
Old 08-06-2007, 05:32 PM   #14
seanele

Drives: '07 Blazing Blue LB, '09 Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo&Auto View Post
I believe unichip has SOMETHING like this more or less power switch but I could be wrong. NOS would be the real fun switch IMO :)
APR chip installed to non factory turbo..
Old 08-06-2007, 05:35 PM   #15
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
nitrous my friend...gotta be careful with that sh-t on a yaris though...plastic intake manifold...

the design of the manifold will allow the nitrous to puddle if you use a dry shot...thats bad news.

so, it might be a good idea to wait for a company to make a set of injectors for a wet shot...either that or wait for a manufacturer to make a intake manifold or build your own.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:51 PM   #16
-m-

Drives: stock for now
Yeah the plastic manifold scares me a lot with the though of a nitrous backfire. I would think if you ran a wet shot (no more than 35) you should be OK...but you better make sure everything else is bang on. IMO the 35 shot just isn't worth it though. These cars need a good 50hp over stock to really liven them up.
-m- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:08 PM   #17
leasaunce

Drives: Toyota Yaris
hmm...thanks all for your comments.

well once I get a turbo on the Yaris im pretty sure I can have 2 different settings, low n high boost.
leasaunce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:39 AM   #18
Motorhead6T5

Drives: 07 NCP96
Nitrous doesn't puddle fuel does,thats why a dry shot would be safer. Our intakes are meant to run air through them not fuel. The technology of foggers is getting better so you can get away with a wet shot,but a dry is still safer at low levels. You get more punch out of a wet shot though,where a dry comes on more gradual.