Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #19
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Well the thing is, no real company has put such heavy value into a phone like Verizon is with this phone...even the Blackberry Storm was hyped this bad. PLUS No one has even reviewed it, it never showed up any of the normal shows for preview, its kinda a hidden thing.

Plus George Lucas had to put his name on it, Since the word "Droid" belongs to him, lol.

Star Wars Fanboi's unite in the only "Star Wars aproved" Phone!
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #20
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Well the thing is, no real company has put such heavy value into a phone like Verizon is with this phone...even the Blackberry Storm was hyped this bad. PLUS No one has even reviewed it, it never showed up any of the normal shows for preview, its kinda a hidden thing.

Plus George Lucas had to put his name on it, Since the word "Droid" belongs to him, lol.

Star Wars Fanboi's unite in the only "Star Wars aproved" Phone!
I like the design of it, reminds me of my ex's new cell phone by Sharp - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwWVHazvsJ4

I'd like to see how fast this phone really is, touch sensitive wise....i don't want lag when the screen orientation is happening and a call is incoming
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #21
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Sadly, I will be searching for a new phone probably here soon.

At least try and unlock a Hero or something to Tmobile network, due to the HTC Dream/G1 has reached the end of its updates.

Seems partitions are at 99.5% on the phone and we wont be recieving Eclair or possibly not even Donut.

Way to go not thinking about the future.

Anyone who got the Tmobile Mytouch, your in the same boat, 20MB left of space to add for updates. Good luck in years to come.

Im not blaming HTC for these faults, nor do I blame Google...I just think they really didnt chat much when designing stuff, also HTC thought the Adroid platforms were gonna be left alone, rather than changed every 4 months.

Who knows, maybe it will be possible to not root the phone, and allow a majority of files to be purged on a SD card, then we can update all we want. Should be an option.

I love my phones Hardware, but I hate the idea of losing out on such important updates like Flash player, and new OS setups.

Someone figure how to run a flash an Iphone to Android OS ;)
Old 10-29-2009, 03:57 AM   #22
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Ive been going off of info from Phandroid and DroidDog

I am running 1.6 too, but think the info that I recieved from this site really puts into perspective how little space the phone was initially given. Google is having to "make space"

http://androidandme.com/2009/08/news...s-and-numbers/
Old 10-29-2009, 02:29 PM   #23
whooppee777
I used to have 1700 posts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Send a message via AIM to whooppee777
Motorola Droid for Verizon

im definitely getting one. i dont want to wait 7 more days

http://phones.verizonwireless.com/motorola/droid/

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US...la-DROID-US-EN

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...-opens-up.html

whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:07 AM   #24
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Just bought one last night!

This is a huge upgrade for me coming from a 2 year old RAZR. I've been wanting an iPhone for over a year but couldn't make the switch to AT&T.

The Droid is unbelievable. Although the iPhone does things this doesn't, the Droid does many things the iPhone can't do (as ads are pointing out ).

Full internet of course with blazing speed (pages load in 1-2 seconds). Apps download in seconds. The screen is actually bigger than the infamously large iPhone screen (3.7" compared to 3.5"). DVD quality camcorder, night time flash, ect. Great speaker - really loud and clear.

FREE google map navigation! In some ways better than my Garmin.

This thing is a full computer in your pocket. Now I can post on YarisWorld on the go!

Last edited by Kal-El; 11-29-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #25
hachi-roku_fan

Drives: 1986 Toyota Corolla
I saw the ads for this, looks promising, but for one reason or another, I'm sticking with Apple. I have a 16 gb 3G with about 6 months left on my contract, after that I'll get the 32 gb 3GS. I just love how iTunes just does everything for you, from apps to shows to music/movies. I do have a few gripes about it, but it won't deter me from getting a newer one. If Microsoft made a phone to use the Zune interface like iTunes then I might lean towards that.
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:07 AM   #26
2+2

Drives: 09 3Dr Manual
Can you connect it to a printer to let's say get a printout from a web page?
Old 11-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #27
hachi-roku_fan

Drives: 1986 Toyota Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+2 View Post
Can you connect it to a printer to let's say get a printout from a web page?
No I can't, but I don't use my phone for that kind of stuff. I'm the type of person that would get something with less features but does what I want it to do good. Yea my Iphone doesn't connect to my printer, but I have everything I want in one device, my email, my media, my Internet surfing, all the features I want. I could get somthing like A Blackberry, but I don't need something like that. Besides, I can always email myself the link and print it through that unless you have a printer not connected to a computer with Internet. The solutions are there, you just have to think about it
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #28
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
US cell phone users really need to band together to get out from under the thumb of carriers.

Our cell phone market sucks.

Would you folks pay full price for a phone to get true freedom of choice and no carrier controlled apps and features?
or maybe we should just have the government run our cellphone service, they can cut costs and make it cheaper for everyone...

lol

But srsly I understand what you are saying...
Old 11-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #29
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
shouldn't verizon available with GSM soon?

Telus and Bell both have a GSM network now... and the iphone is available with just about any provider now. (almost)
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:12 PM   #30
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post

Telus and Bell both have a GSM network now... and the iphone is available with just about any provider now. (almost)
In the US, AT&T has exclusive rights to carry the iPhone which drives millions of us nuts especially since Verizon is the best carrier.

Without the iPhone, AT&T would be nothing IMO. And because of AT&T's exclusive contract, Apple has lost millions of potential customers who won't switch over.

Last edited by Kal-El; 11-29-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #31
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
i run my apps from my sd card 8gb class 6. so the only thing on my internal storage is the os and i still have 85mb of space left

i agree, its fine once you get your root and do apps2sd. im running everything but the Cyanogenmod 4.2.5 (1.6) OS from a 4gb microsd.

that mod image is amazing btw
Old 11-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #32
eht13

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post

Verizon is not going to build a GSM network; they are CDMA. And given the recent Verizon ads that not only attack AT&T, but Apple too, it's pretty clear that Verizon no longer thinks Apple will ever think it's worth building an iPhone that could run on Verizon's network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
In the US, AT&T has exclusive rights to carry the iPhone which drives millions of us nuts especially since Verizon is the best carrier.

Without the iPhone, AT&T would be nothing IMO. And because of AT&T's exclusive contract, Apple has lost millions of potential customers who won't switch over.
Exclusive contracts for iPhone are common in many countries. "Best" is totally subjective and dependent on many factors, such as location, etc. If Verizon ever sells as many Droids as AT&T has sold iPhones, Droid users will likely experience the same occasional issues that iPhone customers have, due to the occasional strain on the network that is caused by so many data-heavy phones being used by so many customers. It's kind of like the "there's a map for that ads"; comparing apples and oranges. Also, if AT&T would be nothing without the iPhone, then that would mean they were nothing before the iPhone, which obviously wasn't the case.
eht13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #33
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by eht13 View Post
Verizon is not going to build a GSM network; they are CDMA. And given the recent Verizon ads that not only attack AT&T, but Apple too, it's pretty clear that Verizon no longer thinks Apple will ever think it's worth building an iPhone that could run on Verizon's network.
You know, I didn't even think about it that way. Verizon is essentially attacking the iPhone in an effort to promote Droid but there's been many rumors as to Verizon finally getting a hold of iPhone and selling it themselves.
Maybe this is sure sign that they won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eht13 View Post
Exclusive contracts for iPhone are common in many countries. "Best" is totally subjective and dependent on many factors, such as location, etc. If Verizon ever sells as many Droids as AT&T has sold iPhones, Droid users will likely experience the same occasional issues that iPhone customers have, due to the occasional strain on the network that is caused by so many data-heavy phones being used by so many customers. It's kind of like the "there's a map for that ads"; comparing apples and oranges. Also, if AT&T would be nothing without the iPhone, then that would mean they were nothing before the iPhone, which obviously wasn't the case.
I agree "best" is arguable. Generally though when it comes to national coverage, Verizon is proven to be on top overall.

And your also right about the flooded market straining the AT&T data network. Hopefully there's a way to continue to strengthen it as there's only going to be more and more people coming onto the data network system.

And before the iPhone came out and Cingular was merged into AT&T (around the same time), I never even heard about of AT&T still playing in the market. Heck, I thought they went away years before! All of a sudden they had emerged as the "new at&t" out of no where and bought the much more prominent Cingular.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #34
2+2

Drives: 09 3Dr Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
I agree "best" is arguable. Generally though when it comes to national coverage, Verizon is proven to be on top overall.
I've only had AT&T and Verizon and imo the word "sucks" was invented just for AT&T. Verizon on the other hand is very good. They're like an appliance you don't have to think about, it just works.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:54 PM   #35
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
US cell phone users really need to band together to get out from under the thumb of carriers.

Our cell phone market sucks.

Would you folks pay full price for a phone to get true freedom of choice and no carrier controlled apps and features?
Agreed, back in 07 I lived in Japan for six months. The cell phone I got was just the run of the mill phone, on one of the cheapest plans. I paid something like $23 a month for basically unlimited calling, texting, and e-mailing. The crazy thing... when I came back to the states.... there were hardly any phones that had the same features as the phone I had.

US customers get shafted on cell phones & plans... Oh... other than cell phones... everything electronics was MUCH MORE expensive in japan than in the US. So don't even try to point out "its made there, so its cheaper".

on a side note... you people know that you can pick up basically any phone and use it on verizons network... Buddy of mine is a real estate agent and for the longest time used TRIO phones... but got so fed up with them he went out and bought an Iphone...works perfectly fine on the verizon network. Sure it may cost a bit more, but if you are willing to pay for it... you can have it.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:49 PM   #36
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+2 View Post
I've only had AT&T and Verizon and imo the word "sucks" was invented just for AT&T. Verizon on the other hand is very good. They're like a YARIS that you don't have to think about, it just works.
Edited

Yeah, I've had Verizon for about 5 years and have yet to drop a call. Never a problem.