Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-21-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Snow tires = poor mpg

Less than impressed with my new MPG since I mounted the blizzaks on the Yaris. I dropped about 4 MPG

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Ah, but those little suckers will rip through some snow and ice, won't they?

(I've never used them, but I know folks who have... they're pretty amazing tires for what they're designed for)

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
Bob_VT

They are a great tire and with the hundreds of sipes.... they are grippy little devils. I am impressed with the highway attitude.

For the last few years I used DUnlop Graspics which were basically the same desing but the car they were on (Chev Impala) never suffered a MPG drop like this.

This weekend I will increase the air pressure to see if it helps.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
Doug007

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan
I have a set of studless Toyos...haven't noticed a difference in mileage, but I'm sure they're not as grippy as the ones you have.
Daytime Running Lights
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm
Doug007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
JnC

Drives: 00 VW Golf TDI
Makes sense. You need low rolling resistance for mpg, yet you have grippy tires for snow.

You might consider Nokians. Can't completely overcome the physics of the above, but they do advertise low rolling resistance for their WRG2 tire. More of an all-weather tire, it does have some good winter design traits.

If you do want an all out winter tire, try the Nokian Hakkapeliitta's. Some of those claim lower rolling resistance.
JnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
Bob_VT

I had Hakkapeliitta's on a car a while back and I was not impressed. They wore quick and did not do the job. Time will tell.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:00 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
Less than impressed with my new MPG since I mounted the blizzaks on the Yaris. I dropped about 4 MPG
I ran Blizzaks way back when on a Civic wagon. I also saw a significant MPG reduction during snow tire season. Besides the boat show like sipes, the Blizzaks are made of a very soft/sticky rubber that is awesome on ice and like velcro on dry pavement. The composition also makes them wear way quicker than any other tire I have ever run.

A buddy of mine runs Hankook Ice Bears on his VW Pasat and swears that they are as good as Blizzaks without the wear issue...
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:20 AM   #8
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
we use studded COOPER Weather Master ST-2s all the way around on the '08 sedan . They were on the '08 Liftback last season and did a fine job . We've been averaging 37 m.p.g. since installed . That's not so bad . This includes colder weather and 87 octane SUNOCO that's a 10% ethanal winter blend . The tires are kept at around 35 p.s.i.. They dip to little under 33 p.s.i. on the colder days . Try to check them once a week due to variations in pressure from temperature changes .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:21 AM   #9
06vitzRS

Drives: 06 Yaris HB
Since i put my winters on i've gotten the best mileage yet. Seems odd i know but I put 675km on my last tank. I usually get close to 600. Been running them with 34-38psi.
http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...akkapeliitta+R
Old 11-22-2008, 06:45 AM   #10
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
We are lucky to not really need snow tires in Denver. Once or twice a year we could use them, however the snow usually melts in a day or so. The road crews use so much magnesium cloride that black ice is never an issue. I worry about the long term effect the salt will do to the car. The ski industry is so big that the road crews work around the clock to keep the roads passable.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:21 AM   #11
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
I'm surprised you didn't like Nokians. That's the first negative review I've read on the brand, besides some people saying they didn't like the road noise.

I got my best tank ever with our Nokian rSI's on for the entire tank.

The Nokians do not get better mileage than our OEM all seasons, but the weather got unusually warm and we did virtually no short trips under 50 km on the tank where I got 54.7 us MPG on them.

I just got another tank of 51.2 us MPG on the Nokians with virtually all highway driving, but I did get stuck in a 1 hour traffic jam and had to deal with snow, ice rain, strong winds and temperatures below zero celsius for most of the tank.

Winter tires do not have to mean a large loss in MPG, but due to their nature there has to be some. Nokians are more expensive, but I'm sold on the quality of their product for future purchases.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:24 AM   #12
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
I have Kelly Springfield M&S tires. I notice minimal changes in MPG. Aside inflation I wonder if they're the same size as your summer tires?

Gene

Last edited by GeneW; 11-22-2008 at 09:59 AM.
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #13
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
are you sure you didnt drop mpg because of the cold weather....?
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #14
Bob_VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I have Kelly Springfield M&S tires. I notice minimal changes in MPG. Aside inflation I wonder if they're the same size as your summer tires?

Gene
Same size

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
are you sure you didnt drop mpg because of the cold weather....?
Maybe but it's a blistering 20 F right now!

Old 11-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #15
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
For the brown cloud, the refineries here use MTBE (Methyl Tertiary Butly Ether) in their winter gas blend. I have suspected for years that MTBE effected gas milage. http://www.fee.org/pdf/the-freeman/heberling0903.pdf
Old 11-22-2008, 05:21 PM   #16
Bob_VT

MTBE was banned years ago in the gasoline in this area since it is related to cancer.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:07 PM   #17
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Maybe but it's a blistering 20 F right now!
Slightly warmer here in PA. The folks who bitch about the cold are reminded by me that insects do not like cold weather and die off before they grow too large or too numerous.

We could really use some zero degree F days, maybe a week of them, to waste the mosquitoes and gnats in their winter hidey holes.

Gene
Old 11-22-2008, 08:13 PM   #18
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
MTBE was banned years ago in the gasoline in this area since it is related to cancer.
It's also a very "stable" chemical that leeches into water tables and never goes away. Ethanol is better since it's readily biodegradable, even by human beings.

Gene