Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #469
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Old-school is easier, sure, less variables to tune. But that also means less chances to improve power at both low and high-ends...

The 6-speed and LSD are more of a long-term wish. I'd really want the 6th gear for cruising at lower RPM. Due to the very tight packaging in the engine bay, I may not be able to fit the slightly larger transmission.

E85 behaves like very high-octane race fuel, in a nutshell. Increased detonation resistance is the main advantage, you can dial up the boost and ignition quite a lot.

I also personally like that it is locally-produced, so there is less pollution related to transporting crude oil, and it also burns cleaner than dino soup.

But it has some drawbacks:
1) 30% lower energy by volume. So you basically need to flow 30% more fuel for the same power output. Injectors and fuel pumps need to be sized accordingly (I'm looking at 1000cc injectors to have a bit of headroom), and a tank will not take you as far as regular gasoline.
2) Ethanol is hygroscopic (it slowly absorbs moisture). So, if you don't drive very often, youu may need to get your tank emptied and refilled. (Also a nasty side effect, the moisture eventually ends up in your oil, so more frequent changes are recommended)
3) Cost. In some countries, E85 is WAY cheaper than gasoline. Over here, it's only about 30% less than premium, so at the end of the day, your cost/mile is about the same

Anyway as you might tell, I am quite a proponent of the stuff

A nice little primer for the stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltWcgiCm4NY
Thanks! I love Mighty Car Mods. I did a bit of reading since my last post. I can definitely see why you'd be attracted to E85.

So, right now I'm running 93 octane and I'm getting intake temps around 60 - 80F and running about 14.5 AFR up to 3 - 4 pounds boost (ECU in closed loop). I only get AFR enrichment if I go pretty close to WOT. This is a drawback of the FIC. Do you think I'm ok at those temps? I do worry a bit due to the relatively high static compression of the engine, 10:1, I think. I know there are many variables and it would be difficult to really know for sure.

Turbokits.com apparently had mixed results with the 02 spoofing, tricking the computer into targeting a richer AFR during closed loop operations. I haven't started experimenting with this but may in the near future. I really should have listened to the first tuner who I spoke with and who definitely recommended standalone management.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:32 PM   #470
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Thanks! I love Mighty Car Mods. I did a bit of reading since my last post. I can definitely see why you'd be attracted to E85.

So, right now I'm running 93 octane and I'm getting intake temps around 60 - 80F and running about 14.5 AFR up to 3 - 4 pounds boost (ECU in closed loop). I only get AFR enrichment if I go pretty close to WOT. This is a drawback of the FIC. Do you think I'm ok at those temps? I do worry a bit due to the relatively high static compression of the engine, 10:1, I think. I know there are many variables and it would be difficult to really know for sure.

Turbokits.com apparently had mixed results with the 02 spoofing, tricking the computer into targeting a richer AFR during closed loop operations. I haven't started experimenting with this but may in the near future. I really should have listened to the first tuner who I spoke with and who definitely recommended standalone management.
Oof, I'm not sure I'm knowledgeable enough to answer you there... From what I gather, with premium fuel and not such a huge amount of boost, you should be OK... You have the advantage of not living in the hot, humid tropics too :D Does your engine have a knock sensor? If so, there should already be some mitigation built-in.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:22 PM   #471
06YarisRS

Milk run tonight...

Here's a terrible quality video. I'll make a better one in the daytime. Max boost reached was ~5.5, so gotta get at the wastegate, plus lean up my AFRs at WOT. It is definitely a "safe" tune at WOT at around 10.5:1, so that could probably be leaned out a touch, like around 11.5, but I'll leave it as is for now, at least until I up my boost.

Anyway, it pulls hard and puts you back in your seat a bit. If I do mange to get up to 7 - 8 psi, it will be scary. Even now, I can't go WOT until about 30 - 40 km/h or the wheels will spin. It breaks loose in the video at around 50 km/h even if I ease into the throttle.

There's definitely more room for improvement, but it's a blast right now as it is. No WRX killer for sure, but if I get to my boost goal, I bet I would at least not totally embarrass myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31SC...OId1fR8gZcZNvs

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 10-06-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #472
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Oof, I'm not sure I'm knowledgeable enough to answer you there... From what I gather, with premium fuel and not such a huge amount of boost, you should be OK... You have the advantage of not living in the hot, humid tropics too :D Does your engine have a knock sensor? If so, there should already be some mitigation built-in.
Yes, there are many variables to consider and every car, and every engine is different. I'm pretty sure I'm safe with 93 octane, low boost and cool charge temps. I rarely have to enter boost under normal driving conditions. I can easily sail up a long highway hill at 130 - 140km/h while still in vacuum. When I want full boost (which is now 6 - 6.5 after adjusting the wastegate eariler today) I go WOT and my mixtures are good and rich. My car does have a knock sensor, as far as I know.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:40 PM   #473
06YarisRS

Adjusted wastegate yesterday. I gave the arm 2 turns. Boost is now steady 6 - 6.5 psi. At one point coming off a ramp on to the highway, I hit 7 psi. I'm going to give the wastegate another turn tomorrow. If I reach 7 - 7.5 psi, I will stop there. Soon I will do another video, but in the day this time since the night one turned out so crappy.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:08 PM   #474
06YarisRS

8 psi!

I adjusted the wastegate again about two days ago and hadn't driven the car until today. There is a significant difference between 6 and 8 psi. Although the car pulled hard at 6, it's absolutely insane at 8 psi. Torque steer is becoming more apparent, but the car is easily controllable with a good drip on the wheel. Truthfully, I don't think I really understood how much of a difference preloading the wastegate could make. When I clocked the turbo, I had to remove the actuator, actuator arm extension and the actuator bracket. When I put it all back together, I don't think that I had shortened the arm to the preset length. I was a bit long. This was causing the wastegate to open quite a bit around 5 psi.

I'm definitely looking more seriously at performance tires. I think I will go with either a 195/55R15 or might press it a bit and go for a 205/50/15. I've been doing a lot of reading and although 205 is well out of spec for a 5.5" rim, a lot of guys have been using this size tire with that rim width. Some day I'll buy new wheels for the car as much as I'd hate to change the stock look. I have been pushing the 195s I have on the car quite a bit harder than my normal driving and I'm not noticing any performance issues, no sidewall roll or the like and that's with about the cheapest tires you could buy in that size. A performance tire with a stiffer side wall might allow me to go with the wider 205 tires. I also think that would enhance the look of the car significantly.

I'm still mulling over which performance brake pads to buy. The Hawks are currently at the top of my list. Also exploring the rotor options available for the car. I'm open to any opinions regarding rotors, slotted, slotted/drilled, drilled, blank and midrange pricing.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 10-28-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:31 PM   #475
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
More awesome news!!

Just be aware though, high performance summer tires lose grip at low temperatures, making them really unsafe. I haven't looked at high performance all seasons yet but that's a possibility.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:54 PM   #476
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Ok, so now that you're used to 8 PSI when is the built motor going in and getting fed 30 psi?

Seriously though, congrats...that's awesome that you're now beyond the limits of your tires and brakes now.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:06 PM   #477
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
More awesome news!!

Just be aware though, high performance summer tires lose grip at low temperatures, making them really unsafe. I haven't looked at high performance all seasons yet but that's a possibility.
I hadn't thought about that, Sam. Where I live it's always cooler than the surrounding areas as we're on the ocean. I also do a lot of driving in the fall, right up until the first snowfall. Maybe I really ought to be looking at performance all-season tire. Truthfully, I'm finding the current tires quite satisfactory but I'm really not pushing them to their limits. I'd be appreciative if you could make a suggestion of a brand of performance all- season tires that you feel would be good for all around handling, but that might be slightly more capable than a typical inexpensive tire. This of course, if you do investigate them for yourself. I did have a look at the Toyo Proxes TR1 tires in the 195/45R15 size. They look nice and can be had for a very good price

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 10-29-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:16 PM   #478
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Ok, so now that you're used to 8 PSI when is the built motor going in and getting fed 30 psi?

Seriously though, congrats...that's awesome that you're now beyond the limits of your tires and brakes now.
Haha, my thoughts exactly about an engine build! Not likely to happen anytime soon, but not out of the question either. Of course, then I'd definitely have to do something about my other drivetrain components.

With respect to being beyond the limits of my tires and brakes, the stock setup is quite acceptable, but the quick acceleration is making me want to push the car always harder on the windy roads around here. I just feel that before long, I am going to reach their limits. I'm not exactly sure where those limits are, but I know that I want to exceed them.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:07 PM   #479
06YarisRS

Extra Plugs

I picked up two sets of SC20HR11 plugs. I scored them for ~$13.00 a set. Since the SC16HR11 plugs are the OEM plug, I'm gonna just call the 20s 'one step colder', gap them to 0.28 and use them. I hope to pull my current plugs this week and have a look at them. They've been in the car for probably 8 - 10 thousand kms as I replaced them before I did the engine swap. They probably have 1000 -1500 kms on them since the turbo install.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:06 PM   #480
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
I hadn't thought about that, Sam. Where I live it's always cooler than the surrounding areas as we're on the ocean. I also do a lot of driving in the fall, right up until the first snowfall. Maybe I really ought to be looking at performance all-season tire. Truthfully, I'm finding the current tires quite satisfactory but I'm really not pushing them to their limits. I'd be appreciative if you could make a suggestion of a brand of performance all- season tires that you feel would be good for all around handling, but that might be slightly more capable than a typical inexpensive tire. This of course, if you do investigate them for yourself. I did have a look at the Toyo Proxes TR1 tires in the 195/45R15 size. They look nice and can be had for a very good price
for your climate and how long you drive the car into the fall season I would recommend Continental Extreme Contact DWS. They are not the most performance oriented but it will allow you to get as much use out of them in a single year than any other performance oriented tire. FWIW the BFG sport comp 2's I have allegedly do well in cold temps as long as it isn't ice. I have never and will never test this out however. BFG does sell an a/s version of the sport comp 2's that are meant as a performance all season. They would be a competitor to the Conti's and both tires have great reviews.

A tire like the TR1 is likely more tire then you need or could really take advantage of at this point based on what you have said so far. It also won't let you drive your car as much throughout the year. A slightly less sticky tire will typically squeal earlier letting you know when you are close to its limits where as a more performance oriented tire squeal happens when you are virtually at the end of the limit and sometimes it is too late to catch if you are not experienced enough to catch it before it is too late.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:33 PM   #481
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
for your climate and how long you drive the car into the fall season I would recommend Continental Extreme Contact DWS. They are not the most performance oriented but it will allow you to get as much use out of them in a single year than any other performance oriented tire. FWIW the BFG sport comp 2's I have allegedly do well in cold temps as long as it isn't ice. I have never and will never test this out however. BFG does sell an a/s version of the sport comp 2's that are meant as a performance all season. They would be a competitor to the Conti's and both tires have great reviews.

A tire like the TR1 is likely more tire then you need or could really take advantage of at this point based on what you have said so far. It also won't let you drive your car as much throughout the year. A slightly less sticky tire will typically squeal earlier letting you know when you are close to its limits where as a more performance oriented tire squeal happens when you are virtually at the end of the limit and sometimes it is too late to catch if you are not experienced enough to catch it before it is too late.
Excellent info, Trevor. Yeah, I'm definitely looking for a balance of handling and ride quality. I don't think I need an extreme handling tire. The BFG Sport Com 2s do seem to come in a 15" size. Also seems to be the case for the Contis.

What are your thoughts on these tires? Nankang NS-25 All Season UHP in 205/55R15

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-Nanka...5308e659d21418

Here is some feedback on the tires:

https://simpletire.com/Reviews/items...all-season-uhp

Old 11-07-2019, 06:24 AM   #482
06YarisRS

Street Tuning
Well, more like highway tuning. I had been noticing that my AFRs were starting to lean out slightly under hard acceleration on the highway from about 100 km/h up. The car would start to lean to ~ 12.8:1 - 13.00:1 and then it would drop to 11.5 as WOT continued. Last night I brought my laptop on our short trip. My son had it on his lap and I had him tweak the fuel cells by adding fuel in the lean areas. We spent about 20 minutes under different WOT speeds and smoothed the map out. There's still a bit to do, but the leanest we saw under full throttle through the rev range was 12.0:1. He really enjoyed doing this. I was proud of my little man.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:37 AM   #483
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Street Tuning
Well, more like highway tuning. I had been noticing that my AFRs were starting to lean out slightly under hard acceleration on the highway from about 100 km/h up. The car would start to lean to ~ 12.8:1 - 13.00:1 and then it would drop to 11.5 as WOT continued. Last night I brought my laptop on our short trip. My son had it on his lap and I had him tweak the fuel cells by adding fuel in the lean areas. We spent about 20 minutes under different WOT speeds and smoothed the map out. There's still a bit to do, but the leanest we saw under full throttle through the rev range was 12.0:1. He really enjoyed doing this. I was proud of my little man.
Nice!

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:50 AM   #484
Leegamer

That's cool! Father-Son bonding FTW
Old 11-07-2019, 10:10 PM   #485
06YarisRS

Yeah, gents, he really enjoyed it. I had colleague/buddy who's also a car enthusiast lined up to help me tune. I thought I'd see if my 10 year old wanted to give it a try and he jumped at the opportunity. It also helped that it involves a computer as he's majorly into those too.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:20 AM   #486
Leegamer

Quote:
Yeah, gents, he really enjoyed it. I had colleague/buddy who's also a car enthusiast lined up to help me tune. I thought I'd see if my 10 year old wanted to give it a try and he jumped at the opportunity. It also helped that it involves a computer as he's majorly into those too.
Show him some PFI Tuning videos on youtube, maybe he'll be the next big tuner! lol