Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
Nagoya_TRD.

Drives: None.
Fuel Pressure Regulators and setting meters?

I just trying to learn a little more about fuel systems, but i have an idea what the regulator does. What is the point of the "setting meter" other than showing the fuel pressure?

http://www.more-japan.com/product.ph...cat=539&page=1

In this case, let's talk about SARD Fuel pressure regulators and their "setting" guage.

Someone explain this part of fuel systems to me. Thank you.
Nagoya_TRD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
The gauge shows the pressure visually so you can make adjustments quickly, without having to read it from management software, etc.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Nagoya_TRD.

Drives: None.
Will this work only for the Sard FPR or others as well?
Nagoya_TRD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
im assuming its universal and you can tap it in anywhere....
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

A gauge is a gauge, as long as the fittings work. We ended up putting my gauge at the end of the fuel rail - no need for a line or a bracket that way.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
The gauge shown appears to be the one used to set the fuel pressure on the dyno while tuning and not one you'd have installed constantly (or be able to view constantly since it's in the engine bay).

a standard (electronic) gauge has a sensor attached to a sending unit which then sends the data into the gauge in the cabin.

so yes there is a difference between a standard electronic fuel pressure gauge and the "setting" fuel pressure gauge.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

I have a regulator (which sets the pressure) and a liquid-filled gauge off the fuel rail, in the engine bay. I'm assuming it's a mechanical gauge.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I have a regulator (which sets the pressure) and a liquid-filled gauge off the fuel rail, in the engine bay. I'm assuming it's a mechanical gauge.
yeah the gauge in the first post and link is the same idea as the one on your fuel rail.

simply for setting the fuel pressure, not for monitoring fuel pressure.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

well, if you sat on the valve cover and leaned way over, mayyyybeeeee you could watch it
Old 05-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #10
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Quote:
well, if you sat on the valve cover and leaned way over, mayyyybeeeee you could watch it
wait, you can't see yours even when the hood is up without sitting on the valve cover?

what's the point if you can't see it?
Old 05-15-2009, 12:24 AM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Here's my set up:

Old 05-15-2009, 12:42 AM   #12
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Garm, what pressure are you setting your system to at idle? Is your regulator boost compensating?
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:33 AM   #13
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

No, it's a fixed pressure. It's the injectors job to squirt the correct amount of fuel. We have it at 40 right now, but if the injectors max out we may end up with a higher pressure. Not done tuning yet!
Old 05-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #14
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Our cars use what called a "returnless fuel system". The regulator is in the fuel tank, not on the fuel rail. It is not adjustable. You would have to convert to a "return" fuel system to be able to adjust your fuel pressure. Unless you are running a S/C or turbo you fuel pressure does not have to be adjusted, even with all the bolts on's available for our cars.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:47 AM   #15
cdydjded

Quote:
No, it's a fixed pressure. It's the injectors job to squirt the correct amount of fuel. We have it at 40 right now, but if the injectors max out we may end up with a higher pressure. Not done tuning yet!
Your fuel pressure should not be fixed. It should be 40psi at idle & go up to 50-60psi depending on the boost you run. The regulator is a 1:1. If your pressure stays at 40psi at all RPM range then there is something wrong.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:01 AM   #16
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
Our cars use what called a "returnless fuel system". The regulator is in the fuel tank, not on the fuel rail. It is not adjustable. You would have to convert to a "return" fuel system to be able to adjust your fuel pressure. Unless you are running a S/C or turbo you fuel pressure does not have to be adjusted, even with all the bolts on's available for our cars.
hmm, converting to a return fuel system would be entertaining.

might as well gut the car, ligthen the wiring, and re do the ENTIRE fuel system while you're at it....

research time.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #17
cdydjded

converting to a returnless system is common modification on the SRT4 for example. This mod for the SRT4 makes 30-35 more hp. I dont know what your comment about "gutting the car" & "ligthen the wiring" means, converting to a return system does involve " re doing the Entire fuel system" I dont need any "reseach time" Iv done this many times. I can send you a details if you want
Old 05-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #18
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
converting to a returnless system is common modification on the SRT4 for example. This mod for the SRT4 makes 30-35 more hp. I dont know what your comment about "gutting the car" & "ligthen the wiring" means, converting to a return system does involve " re doing the Entire fuel system" I dont need any "reseach time" Iv done this many times. I can send you a details if you want
I'm interested in what's involved. It'd save me some time.

reason I said the other two things, is I'd like to do those at the same time.