Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #55
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate View Post
Even if it doesn't fit perfectly, it would still be worth a bit of modification to get this bad boy to fit into the car. Thanks for the update mad dog!
No worries.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:34 PM   #56
puetato89
Just call me Ray, better?

Drives: 08 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to puetato89
i feel like a a little kid in christmas!!! and it aint even mine, lol

puetato89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:32 AM   #57
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Guinea pigs. Yummy!
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:03 AM   #58
AznGouki
Metsu

Drives: NCP91 ; E36
Oh man this is awesome. I would be down for one if the price is reasonable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQJT8...eature=related
What cluster is this? It would be awesome if we could change the text to a white color.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #59
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
yea i would agree, the green reminds me of the old 87 camry's with the same green digital speedos

if you could figure out how to change to the new orange, i would be down for sure

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #60
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
yea i would agree, the green reminds me of the old 87 camry's with the same green digital speedos

if you could figure out how to change to the new orange, i would be down for sure
Use coloured Cellophane. Cheapest and easiest mod ever.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:47 AM   #61
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

prob is green is a secondary color, so any color blended with green will push it to the tertiary color ring

maybe a nice aqua or something would be cool unless there is another way

Old 10-03-2009, 03:45 AM   #62
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Quote:

ditto on wanting it in Amber, need all light up lights to be Amber, cept for my digi tach and ecometer.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:59 AM   #63
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Quote:
prob is green is a secondary color, so any color blended with green will push it to the tertiary color ring

maybe a nice aqua or something would be cool unless there is another way
That's additive colors when mixing pigments.

When dealing with subtractive color filtering (AKA, light) green is a primary, which means you need to add other colors to it to make anything else. So unfortunately you can't shift pure green light to anything else, and LEDs make INCREDIBLY pure light.

So if it's green LEDs to start with... no changing that to anything else. Might be some kind of LCD's with fixed-color backlighting though based on LEDs.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #64
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
here I am on break from the wedding weekend

hoping CTScott is right and thinking maybe that 50-50 are my chances

i do so appreciate everyone's good wishes and help but i guess we all will not know until i get it and plug it in

the color is of no importance to me - i just hope it physically fits and functions properly as i can't see myself cutting up the dash to make this work out

and remember CTScott is doing everyone here a big favor because- while i'll have a unique and spiffy cluster if it works out- i'll still have to go begging to my dealership to get the odometer reset - while with CTScott's solution of replacing our clock with the tach - while maybe not as spiffy - the odometer will be fine as is

so when you add up the cost of the cluster and postage in Australia, then the postage to the USA (a hefty amount i'm sure) and then the stealership cut to reflash the odometer- this will definately be the high cost solution.

Might even end up rivaling the cost of a new Toyota parts "S" cluster before I'm done. The catnip here is having something unique and very spiffy.

Lewis
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #65
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
here I am on break from the wedding weekend

hoping CTScott is right and thinking maybe that 50-50 are my chances

i do so appreciate everyone's good wishes and help but i guess we all will not know until i get it and plug it in

the color is of no importance to me - i just hope it physically fits and functions properly as i can't see myself cutting up the dash to make this work out

and remember CTScott is doing everyone here a big favor because- while i'll have a unique and spiffy cluster if it works out- i'll still have to go begging to my dealership to get the odometer reset - while with CTScott's solution of replacing our clock with the tach - while maybe not as spiffy - the odometer will be fine as is

so when you add up the cost of the cluster and postage in Australia, then the postage to the USA (a hefty amount i'm sure) and then the stealership cut to reflash the odometer- this will definately be the high cost solution.

Might even end up rivaling the cost of a new Toyota parts "S" cluster before I'm done. The catnip here is having something unique and very spiffy.

Lewis

I've been doing some more reading from the European service manual docs, and I'm up to 90/10 for it working. There are a couple connections that we'll have to add to pick up some features (like a two wire connection for the ambient temperature sensor). Those pins are not populated on the USDM connector, but we have the same sensor for the A/C, so we'll just need to tap it.

I also found that the digital cluster is configurable for Km or Miles (of course via the TechStream tool), so that's another big plus.

For fit, I really think it will be fine. Look a Crashy's open dash, I see plenty of space under the flat area for the chunk.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #66
puetato89

this is 2 exciting, i think imma have 2 take a cold shower

Old 10-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #67
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWings View Post
That's additive colors when mixing pigments.

When dealing with subtractive color filtering (AKA, light) green is a primary, which means you need to add other colors to it to make anything else. So unfortunately you can't shift pure green light to anything else, and LEDs make INCREDIBLY pure light.

So if it's green LEDs to start with... no changing that to anything else. Might be some kind of LCD's with fixed-color backlighting though based on LEDs.
yea that is true, i should be thinking in terms of RGB

i dont think you can change it, it would rock if it was orange, like the nice bright orange Pontiac use to have

Old 10-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #68
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I am pretty sure that the display is a VFD (vacuum fluorescent display). I thought the color or colors of the display were not changeable, but I ran into these:

"The light produced by most VFDs contains many colours and can often be filtered to produce a more-pure (saturated) colour such as a deep green or deep blue, depending on the whims of the product's designers."

"Optional Color Optical Filters & Luminance
Every Noritake VFD has a self emitting light with a wide color spectrum. This distinctive characteristic of the display will allow for virtually any display color presentation by adding a cost effective 3rd party colored material."
Old 10-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #69
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I remembered that the clock in the USDM non-tach clusters is a VFD. I grabbed Crashy's and did some experimentation.

Clock display with redish lens removed (display is greenish blue without lens):
Clock.jpg

Green-blue.jpg

Powered with red lens on, as it would be in the car (display is white):
White.jpg

With blue film, display is blue:
Blue.jpg

With red lens and amber plastic, display is yellow:
Yellow.jpg

So, matching the 09 orange display is probably just a matter of adding an orange colored film plus a red film.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #70
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

NICE!

great work!

now i would be down for one of these clusters if this works

both that blue and yellow is kinda cool as well

Old 10-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #71
puetato89

ct your the best!!

Old 10-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #72
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
CTScott has become a considerable addition to the community, great props!