Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-08-2017, 11:28 PM   #1
Brettguy

Drives: 5 spd MT,black ASA iwheels
Will the yaris leave you stranded?

As i mentioned in my first post, my car has been perfectly reliable (no surprise), but i've been thinking that since my car is an 07 with 145k miles i should shy away from more cross country trips. Im not worried about wearing/noisy parts that eventually fail, im talking about sudden failures.

so far ive wondered about:
-bad fuel pump/clogged filter?
- bad alternator/voltage regulator?

People with experience having this car suddenly quit on you, how did it happen?
Brettguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:42 AM   #2
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Things can break just as easily one mile from home as a thousand miles from home. Don't overthink it. The Yaris is a very reliable car, and if it should fail on you it is relatively simple (i.e. cheap) to work on. Enjoy the trip.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:06 PM   #3
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Of course a high mileage car has greater risk of breaking down, but any car can "leave you stranded". That's why IMHO you need AAA... and an emergency cellphone when you're out and about.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Of course a high mileage car has greater risk of breaking down, but any car can "leave you stranded". That's why IMHO you need AAA... and an emergency cellphone when you're out and about.
It's pronounced "oot and a boot"

As others stated, If you want that piece of mind get aaa. Otherwise it is not a car prone to failures. If something like an alternator goes and happens to fail instantly it should be well under $500 to fix. You shouldn't have any major failures in this car.

Fwiw new cars aren't necessarily void of failures. Anyone aware of the Ford factory problem of "oops i forgot to put that hose clap on". New cars running out of coolant and if not shut off right away say hello to a warped block.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #5
tamrat

Drives: 2009 Yaris, 1994 HiLux Surf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettguy View Post
As i mentioned in my first post, my car has been perfectly reliable (no surprise), but i've been thinking that since my car is an 07 with 145k miles i should shy away from more cross country trips. Im not worried about wearing/noisy parts that eventually fail, im talking about sudden failures.

so far ive wondered about:
-bad fuel pump/clogged filter?
- bad alternator/voltage regulator?

People with experience having this car suddenly quit on you, how did it happen?
The only time this car 'suddenly quit' on me was when I ran out of fuel. I thought I would make it to the gas station but my judgement was poor. Anyways brought some fuel and funneled it in, it started right away...no pumping...no nothing (unlike my Surf).

I have had the car for a year now. I got it with 102KMs on it. Hasn't broken down a single time. Took about 6 400mile trips so far, no issues what so ever.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:42 PM   #6
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
they go foreverrrrrrr

Old 12-11-2017, 05:11 PM   #7
gedster314

Drives: Asolute Red 15 Yaris
How many miles is your drive to and from work? I bet in a week you do what you consider a long trip. What's the difference? As they said; AAA, extra phone, maybe basic tools if you are handy.

If it really worries you, just rent a car for the long trips. That's what I did with my 300K+ 98 Sentra, use it for local trips and any long trips, I rented a roomier car. It wasn't till I started using my car for work that I opted to lease a new car for that.

I had an old girlfriend that educated me on keeping a beater for local driving. She drove her single owner mid 80s Corolla till 2005. She had no worries of door dings, shopping cart dings or being keyed. She would just rent a car if she was doing a trip. At first I made fun of her car, then I saw her wisdom.
gedster314 is offline   Reply With Quote