Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #1
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
This thing has a crap turning radius

my only dislike so far

i know the larger tires/ wheels on the se are a large contributor

we're having some rare rain here and i just washed the bmw so i decided to do something different and drive the yaris around town ... i bought it specifically as a long distance roadtrip car ... it's not a city car for me

just damn!

i can't drive it what i call normally

normal u turns require a 3 point or y turn

and tight parking lots are a pain

actually surprised toyota let it leave the factory like this

btw, the single windshield wiper does a superb job

Last edited by justanotherdrunk; 06-01-2016 at 04:19 PM.
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:30 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
They must have made some major changes from 2nd to 3rd gen, then, because my '07 can make a u-turn in a parking space. I've turned my car around in my driveway several times for a variety of reasons (okay, I'm lying, it was just to take pics lol). It's one of the things people immediately notice when driving my car, or when driving with me. It needs next to no room to get out of places.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #3
skocka

Drives: 2015 Yaris, 1.3 VVTi, 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
my only dislike so far

i know the larger tires/ wheels on the se are a large contributor

we're having some rare rain here and i just washed the bmw so i decided to do something different and drive the yaris around town ... i bought it specifically as a long distance roadtrip car ... it's not a city car for me

just damn!

i can't drive it what i call normally

normal u turns require a 3 point or y turn

and tight parking lots are a pain

actually surprised toyota let it leave the factory like this

btw, the single windshield wiper does a superb job
Agree. It is waaaay worse compared to my ex old 2005 Fiesta. Definitely the worst of all the cars I've had.
skocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:08 PM   #4
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
IMO 3rd gen was a backwards step in many ways relative to 2nd

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:58 PM   #5
ramishrrr

Drives: Corolla Fielder 2ZZGE
All yaris 1500cc have that quirk........poor turning radius. We had a first generation Japanese viitz RS 1500, and now the third generation rs 1500. Where other vehicles make a three point turn, you always have to do it in five points. Otherwise driving is no problem.
Peace.
Rr.
ramishrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:10 PM   #6
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I guess that I have just gotten used to it. I drive to work every day, run errands weekly, etc. and I don't have any trouble making smooth U-turns at streetlights and such. I'm sure it's not the best turning radius, despite its diminutive size, but I have yet to hit a point in my daily routines where I say "damn, I wish I could take a tighter turn". If anything, my issue is spacial perception around me. Example: I pull into a parking place and think that I have pulled up really close to the front curb and then get out and see that I am still 2-3 feet away from it still. I have similar issues backing up and being able to determine how close my rear-end is to what is behind me (again, I'm usually not as close to the object behind me as I think that I am).

I guess it boils down to perspective. One of the pitfalls of owning/driving multiple vehicles is that you notice the differences, both good and bad, much more easily. The Yaris felt really strange to me when I first switched over from my Accord. Now if feels normal. If I was to go out and purchase the 6-speed manual Acura ILX I that was considering when I bought my Yaris and drove that interchangeably with my Yaris, I would no-doubt find the Yaris ride more harsh, more noisy in term of street/wind noise, the clutch/shifter inferior, the get-up-and-go much more painful, etc.

In terms of the 2nd vs 3rd Gen, both have their + and - points to them - both from a subjective and objective point of view.

Last edited by Kalispel; 05-08-2016 at 12:27 AM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:36 PM   #7
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
My 2007 turned on a dime... and so does my 2014.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:33 PM   #8
computerlove87
The Fit is NO!

Drives: '09 3DR "S"|'87 Caddy Brougham
Send a message via MSN to computerlove87
The SE also has a 20% faster geared steering rack, so that may be a contributor (it turns faster from lock to lock by having fewer gears on the rack, meaning less range), as it is different than the normal cars' rack. My Scion xD (despite being nearly identical to the Yaris) has a worse turning radius than my 18 foot long 1987 Cadillac Brougham for some reason!!!

Please ignore the Ferrari
computerlove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:37 AM   #9
jstert

Drives: 2014 yaris l, magnetic gray
my 2014 l is eminently tossable, with a tight turning radius. i always avoid sport editions of a car for the turning radius penalty that they impose.
jstert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:00 AM   #10
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
What's so different about a sports edition that would make a lot of difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerlove87 View Post
My Scion xD (despite being nearly identical to the Yaris) has a worse turning radius than my 18 foot long 1987 Cadillac Brougham for some reason!!!
Generally rear wheel drive cars have a better turning circle.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:26 AM   #11
VaultTec

Drives: 2016 Yaris SE
The other day I was making a U-turn and had to do a 3 point turn just to avoid ramming into the sidewalk. The huge Ford truck behind me turned with ease. I was quite embarrassed haha.
VaultTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:45 PM   #12
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultTec View Post
The other day I was making a U-turn and had to do a 3 point turn just to avoid ramming into the sidewalk. The huge Ford truck behind me turned with ease. I was quite embarrassed haha.
Wow. I wish I knew someone with a 3rd gen so I could experience the diff from my 2nd gen. I find it very interesting that it would have changed so drastically for the worst.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:20 PM   #13
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Wow. I wish I knew someone with a 3rd gen so I could experience the diff from my 2nd gen. I find it very interesting that it would have changed so drastically for the worst.
Hmmm... It must only be the SE model, because my 3rd gen LE has the same turning radius as my 2nd gen.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:06 PM   #14
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Yes, the SE model steering is tuned/geared differently from the L/LE, increasing its turn-radius, but improving its driving response/handling/feel at the same time (based on my recent comparisons with a 2015/2016 Yaris L rent-a-car). Small trade-off in my opinion. I've adapted to the point where smooth U-turns are never a problem with the SE. I instinctively steer/veer to the right a bit before U-turning to the left and vice versa, and never end up having to do a 3 point turn at a tight street-light or whatever. It feels perfectly natural/normal to me now.

Last edited by Kalispel; 05-20-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:35 PM   #15
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

Drives: spiritedly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Yes, the SE model steering is tuned/geared differently from the L/LE
Actually, through my relentless research, it looks like Toyota gave all Yaris' the sport tuned steering and gearing, as shown here in Toyota's Spec Sheet: http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.c...duct+specs.htm

This applied to the mid cycle refresh, so 2015 MY and onwards.

C&D mentioned it on their review of the 15MY: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

15x5.5 +38 175/65 Overall Diameter: 24"
16x6.0 +51 195/50 Overall Diameter: 23.7"

This shows that the SE has a shorter overall tire diameter and the spec sheet (and wheel offset) shows that it also has a shortee track width... I have no idea what makes the SE turn 4ish feet more than the L/LE.

New here, don't mind me. just learning as much as I can about my future daily!
Old 12-02-2017, 01:17 PM   #16
HolsonY

Drives: None
I had a Scion xD a while ago (Yaris chassis I think) and I think if you get the factory optional larger wheels (due to the wider tires), the dealer had to install spacers/limiters to the steering rack to limit travel to prevent rubbing against the fender linters, ultimately increasing turning radius

I wonder if the SE has the same spacer that can be removed if you go back to the narrower 15 or 14" tires & wheels?
HolsonY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:58 PM   #17
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
The SE was advertised as having a quicker steering ratio as well as a larger turning radius.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:13 PM   #18
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
soo best yaris is a L/LE with SE rear beam swap?
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote