Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
comfort tires

There used to be a thread on recommended comfort tires but it seems to have been removed. I'd like a tire that softens road feel on rough grainy pavement while maintaining good cornering characteristics.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
birdman

Isn't there anyone that can help?
Old 01-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
clarenceie

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Not sure... I use Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. I think they are great tires. Check out the reviews on tirerack. I used these on an Accord. Hard to say how they feel on a yaris...
clarenceie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Define "good cornering characteristics" and you may get more help. Also, check out the testing that TireRack does. They do a lot of testing and comfort is one of them.
I've run Nokian Entyre and found them to be very quiet, and comfortable at OE tire pressures.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
birdman

Define "good cornering"? Good cornering IS the definition as opposed to sloppy cornering. I've read that comfort tires dont corner as well as sportier ones. I want more comfortable tires than the stock ones and still have reasonably good handling characteristics. I'll check out the Nokians. Thanks :o)
Old 01-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
Define "good cornering"? Good cornering IS the definition as opposed to sloppy cornering. I've read that comfort tires dont corner as well as sportier ones. I want more comfortable tires than the stock ones and still have reasonably good handling characteristics. I'll check out the Nokians. Thanks :o)
"Good cornering" means different things to different people. I need R-comps to be happy with the "good cornering". Others need Hoosier slicks, and others just need new OEM spec tires (that haven't gone hard). The Nokians are pretty comfortable in my opinion, but they are NOT a performance tire. I would say maybe 10-20% better than OEM on the Yaris (more in the wet). Typically comfort comes from the tire flexing enough to suck up the small road irregularities. Tire flex is not conducive to performance. I would suggest again to look at the TireRack and read their tire testing and find one that fits your needs. They include "comfort" in their testing so hopefully you can find something you like
Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Quote:
There used to be a thread on recommended comfort tires but it seems to have been removed. I'd like a tire that softens road feel on rough grainy pavement while maintaining good cornering characteristics.
definitely NOT my 205/40/17
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
i would guess calling up the tire rack and talking to someone would be your best bet. Very few on here would really care about "comfort" when it comes to tires.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:54 AM   #9
birdman

Yes I think I will go elsewhere for an answer. Who needs this sh--?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
birdman

Found a thread on tires where the Michelin Defender was recommended. There are members of all ages and interest levels and yes like me there are others interested in comfort too.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:39 AM   #11
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Quote:
Found a thread on tires where the Michelin Defender was recommended. There are members of all ages and interest levels and yes like me there are others interested in comfort too.
I've had the Defenders for a few days. There not comfy at all. They handle great, giving the Yaris a sport feel. They are a bit loud, but that has a lot to do with the Yaris. They also seem the amplify expansion joint noise.

I love these tires, but I'm not sure you will.

Also, I have very little time in my Yaris. The tires it came with were 80% worn Chinese junk, that all I'm going by.
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote