Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
weedelf

Drives: Toyota Yaris
07 Yaris - Signals don't work, where's the fuse?

Car: 2007 Yaris Hactchback

So, I cannot signal, no heat/air, and transmission locked. Emergency lights work. I was told it might be a blown fuse. What do you guys/gals think?

If so, where is it and which one? I opened the little compartment near the bottom left of the steering wheel and saw some fuses but have no idea which one. Reading up on some forums, someone mentioned it was a 10A fuse, but that it was under the Dash.

If I'm looking in the wrong place, and it IS in the Dash, how do I get to it?

Thanks.
weedelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
10A GAUGE fuse in the fuse box that is under the bottom of the dash (by the hood release lever). put your head down by the floor and look up, and you will see it.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
weedelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
10A GAUGE fuse in the fuse box that is under the bottom of the dash (by the hood release lever). put your head down by the floor and look up, and you will see it.
Thanks, and to be clear, it's not the spot I was referring to right?
Old 02-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedelf View Post
Thanks, and to be clear, it's not the spot I was referring to right?
It's on the bottom of the area you were looking at.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #5
weedelf

Awesome and thanks. I actually found it very easily and got the fuse quickly replaced. The car was stuck at a friends and I was able to drive it home.

Only problem is, it blew again a few hours later. I replaced it again...and a few hours later, it blew again.

I think it's obvious there's something else going on here. Anything I can do? Or pretty much time to take it in?
Old 02-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Awesome and thanks. I actually found it very easily and got the fuse quickly replaced. The car was stuck at a friends and I was able to drive it home.

Only problem is, it blew again a few hours later. I replaced it again...and a few hours later, it blew again.

I think it's obvious there's something else going on here. Anything I can do? Or pretty much time to take it in?
That fuse powers the following things:

1. A/C Blower relay coil

2. Back-up lights

3. Alternator voltage regulator

4. Park/neutral switch

5. Dimer rheostat

6. Rear window defroster relay coil

7. Passenger set belt warning light

8. AT Shift lock ECU

9. Flasher relay

You should actually be able to isolate it to one of those functions by trying each one separately and seeing with which one it pops again.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
weedelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
That fuse powers the following things:

1. A/C Blower relay coil

2. Back-up lights

3. Alternator voltage regulator

4. Park/neutral switch

5. Dimer rheostat

6. Rear window defroster relay coil

7. Passenger set belt warning light

8. AT Shift lock ECU

9. Flasher relay

You should actually be able to isolate it to one of those functions by trying each one separately and seeing with which one it pops again.

So, I think I've narrowed it down to the signals, possibly just the right turn signal. I didn't get a chance to test the left turn because I didn't want to risk blowing the fuse again as I'm almost out of spare fuses by the time I noticed. When I signal, it flickers and eventually it broke and when I put it into park, it stays in park...etc.

Question is: I don't know much about cars beyond the very basics. I looked up a few similar situations via google and found it may be bad wires or a signal switch issue. If I took it in, what should I say and how much should I expect to pay to have it fixed? What's too much and/or a rip off?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
So, I think I've narrowed it down to the signals, possibly just the right turn signal. I didn't get a chance to test the left turn because I didn't want to risk blowing the fuse again as I'm almost out of spare fuses by the time I noticed. When I signal, it flickers and eventually it broke and when I put it into park, it stays in park...etc.

Question is: I don't know much about cars beyond the very basics. I looked up a few similar situations via google and found it may be bad wires or a signal switch issue. If I took it in, what should I say and how much should I expect to pay to have it fixed? What's too much and/or a rip off?

Thanks in advance.
In 30 years of driving I have never paid someone to work on my car, so I couldn't guess what they would hit you.

It could be a damaged wire, but more likely either the switch or the flasher module is to blame. For parts, Toyota would charge you about $110 for the headlight switch or $45 for the flasher module.

The flasher module is easy to replace yourself, as it is the blue chunk mounted to the front of the under-dash fuse panel. Replacing the headlight switch is a bit more involved as you have to remove the airbag and steering wheel.

One other quick and dirty test would be to swap the turn signal bulbs on that side with the ones from the other side.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #9
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Drives: 2010 yaris..absolutely red.
Sorry to highjack,but, where are the downloadable manuals for the Yaris.I have a 2010 hatchback?.TIA
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Sorry to highjack,but, where are the downloadable manuals for the Yaris.I have a 2010 hatchback?.TIA
http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...S-FILEShttp://
Old 02-23-2014, 07:50 PM   #11
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

THANK YOU MR. Scott!.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #12
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

If I would need to replace some of the fasteners that secure the front bumper cover,would it be best to go to Toyota and aquire these fasteners or look for after- market?. TIA
Old 02-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #13
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
If I would need to replace some of the fasteners that secure the front bumper cover,would it be best to go to Toyota and aquire these fasteners or look for after- market?. TIA
It would be best to try and save (in good condition) those. Reason being, most dealerships sub-contract local suppliers to keep those in stock. The local supplier carries generic (most commonly used) in their product line which may or may not be close to the original. I can't count the number of vehicles I've seen when detailing that were missing certain fasteners because the dealership did not have replacements available.

case: I removed the inner fender liners and destroyed a couple. Went to the dealership body shop and found that their local supplier used those from Wurth and were primarily generic to all vehicles which Toyota used a few of. In my case the generics were not exact replacements. Solution was to go to parts and describe where part was and let them pull it up on computer and then order a Toyota replacement. Another alternative would be to check local wrecking yards for Toyotas and see what other models might have used the same fastener. Check on line also. Good luck.

Edit: I would advise anyone dealing with these to clean them and then lubricate on a regular basis to keep them in good shape. Makes life easier.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:47 PM   #14
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Good info Klink10.