Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
jonathanq

Drives: 2009 Yaris RS 5 Door
Question Aftermarket parts and Factory Warranty in Canada?

I debated if this was the best place to post this question..but it IS Canada specific :)

I recently got a 2009 Yaris RS (5 Door, MT). I love the car, but the former '83 VW GTI and '88 Mazda 323 GTX driver in me is itching to toy with it a bit.

I am wondering about doing a few mods to the car just to make it sound a bit sportier, maybe improve performance a bit - overall just make it more fun to drive.

Specifically:
- CAI
- Exhaust
- Lowering it

However my concern is over the warranty. It has the factory 3 year warranty. I know that installing any one of those will not instantly void my warranty - however it does open up the possibility of Toyota saying the cause of an item failure was that aftermarket part - and as such, they won't cover it under warranty.

I've also read about parts from TRD - correct me if I'm wrong, but those are Genuine Toyota made parts right? So if in the US - you get those installed, would they be fully supported under the warranty?

Has anyone had any experience in Canada of having Toyota not cover repairs because you did some alterations like this? If so - were they TRD parts from the US or were they some other brand?

I don't mind the idea of paying a bit more for a TRD part to be installed if it means I don't have to worry about warranty coverage.

On the other hand, it's just a Yaris - I don't imagine I am going to have too many problems with it over the next 3 years, so the extra cost to get TRD parts installed by my local dealer might be a waste...

I really wish Toyota Canada had the same program as Hyundai Canada - they offer performance parts for some of their cars that can be installed by the dealer and won't affect the 5 year warranty.

Experiences anyone?
jonathanq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
+1 on that
also a point to remember TRD if installed by you carries a 1 year warranty
, but if installed by the dealer is covered for the term of factory warranty
left on the vehicle . Total BS.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
+1 on that
also a point to remember TRD if installed by you carries a 1 year warranty
, but if installed by the dealer is covered for the term of factory warranty
left on the vehicle . Total BS.

This includes a Toyota extended warranty.
Yes, the dealer will rape you for labour charges to do the installation(s) but you do have some piece of mind, especially if you bought an extra extended warranty.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
jonathanq

Drives: 2009 Yaris RS 5 Door
Good to know, thanks!

I didn't get an extended warranty on the Yaris, just the factory 3yr.

When I have the extra cash to do some of these things I'll have to decide then how important it is for the peace of mind - and how much "extra" that is worth.

Now I have to start deciding on what I will get when the time comes! The TRD CAI seems to be a popular choice (over K&N or other brands).

I am not up to date on the laws for mufflers. My last two cars I did exhaust replacements they were old enough they didn't need a Cat. However if I want to replace the exhaust on the Yaris I will still need a cat in there I would think. To keep it 'legal'.

Is it recommended to do springs + shocks at the same time? or can one do just lowering springs with stock shocks?
jonathanq is offline   Reply With Quote