Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Use of a can of tire sealant voided road hazard warranty

I know there aren't too many of us who have Firestone tires, but I thought I'd post this anyway. Heck, if it helps one person, that is enough. I got a flat tire last night (well past when Firestone would be closed) on one of those under the freeway/before the signal/feeder road to feeder road U turns (members in Texas or those who have been to Texas will know what I mean). I meandered down the feeder road (less than a mile) to a Wal-Mart. I decided to use a can of tire sealant I had,to see if I could avoid a AAA call. Once you go beyond their limit (this might have put me with only 1 call left before the end of next August), they charge you per call. The last time I went over it was $35.00 per call...might be more now. The tire sealant didn't work. I called AAA and they came out and put my space saver tire on (I thought I had taken it out). This morning I went to the Firestone store closest to my house (where I bought the tires). From what I was told, some Firestone store repaired a tire that the customer had failed to seal using tire sealant. The tire (at some later date) exploded. The customer then sued Firestone. Firestone then put a company wide policy in place -- no more repairs allowed on tires that have aftermarket sealant injected into them, only replacement. They did pro rate the cost for me (44% of tread worn after I think 45-46,000 miles and they brought it down from a sale price of 72.00 to 40.00). They didn't charge me for mounting and balancing, but they did charge me for a new road hazard warranty (annoying, but SOP with other cars I've had in the past).

The pro rated cost of the tire (which might have been more at a different stage of wear) was more than I imagine an extra service call would have been with AAA. Do other tire retailers have a similar policy re not repairing tires under their road hazard warranty if the customer has injected tire sealant into the tire?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That is typical. That stuff may be handy, but it is horrible for road tires.

I carry a tire plug kit and a portable air compressor instead of sealant.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Very interesting and honestly not surprising. One manufacturer will always take a chance to blame the other manufacturer anytime they can even if it is just as a scapegoat. I personally....knock on rubber have ever had a tire go bad on me I. The 20+ years I have driven and owned cars. The last time I was in one that did have a blow out was back in 1998 which back then they didn't have the types of stuff they have now.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
That is typical. That stuff may be handy, but it is horrible for road tires.

I carry a Craftsman portable air compressor with me (I don't EVER want to have to pay for air at a gas station), but a tire plug kit is a new wrinkle. Can a novice properly utilize such a kit?
Old 01-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Very interesting and honestly not surprising. One manufacturer will always take a chance to blame the other manufacturer anytime they can even if it is just as a scapegoat. I personally....knock on rubber have ever had a tire go bad on me I. The 20+ years I have driven and owned cars. The last time I was in one that did have a blow out was back in 1998 which back then they didn't have the types of stuff they have now.
This is only the second time this has happened in my Yaris. The last time was almost 200,000 miles ago on I-10 in Louisiana. The sealant worked well enough that time to get me back (in the opposite direction) to the next town. There was a Wal-Mart in that town and I was able to get a 'same model as the other 3' new tire. My previous car was 2001 Suzuki Swift (new to 151k + miles in 5 years 6 weeks) and IIRC, I never had to use sealant with that car. Before That?....I don't remember .
Old 01-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
The cigarette-lighter air pump is the way to go.

Years and years ago, I seemed to be prone to flats. I had changed them in the rain; once in the snow when I forgot my coat...who needed it? I was going to the warm car and then inside; I'd realized it but didn't think anything of it, until the tire went flat.

I'd even had TWO flats on one 150-mile trip, again in the snow.

So I carry the compressor. Now I have a can of Slime but I'm wary of using it except in extreme emergency. If a tire goes low, I'll pump it up, and then take aim for a garage. If I can't find one in 15 minutes or so, I'll pump the tire up again. Keep on, until I get to where I can change the tire in safety or have the tire fixed.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #7
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Can a novice properly utilize such a kit?
Yes. The kit is essentially some small lengths of sticky rubber 'rope', and a big hook needle like device. Thread the needle with the 'rope', push it all the way into the hole in the tire, then pull it back out far enough to unhook the needle. Viola, hole is now plugged.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #8
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Nook, some time ago I asked on here as to the fit of a full sized tire and wheel in the spare tire bay, how and if one would fit etc.

I was contemplating replacing the doughnut with full size when I made my trips out to OH. After some internal debate I opted for the portable compressor and plug kit option.

Portable from car to car, plus it just so happens to fit in the black storage tray in the wheel well.

Got the Viair 00073 70P Heavy Duty Portable Compressor off of Amazon.

I've plugged a few tires, I learned one way, and the way I do it is to twist the needle rubber holder a few times after the plug is inserted and before extracting it. Supposedly it will create a knot on the inside of the tire where the puncture is. I don't know, always worked me.

Of course I think most experts will tell you even after it's plugged it should be brought in the plug cut off flush on the inside and then it should be patched from the inside. That's what I've been told anyway.

I am sure there are others here who can speak to this with greater experience and expertise.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
The cigarette-lighter air pump is the way to go.

Years and years ago, I seemed to be prone to flats. I had changed them in the rain; once in the snow when I forgot my coat...who needed it? I was going to the warm car and then inside; I'd realized it but didn't think anything of it, until the tire went flat.

I'd even had TWO flats on one 150-mile trip, again in the snow.

So I carry the compressor. Now I have a can of Slime but I'm wary of using it except in extreme emergency. If a tire goes low, I'll pump it up, and then take aim for a garage. If I can't find one in 15 minutes or so, I'll pump the tire up again. Keep on, until I get to where I can change the tire in safety or have the tire fixed.
When I took my space saver spare out (before the AAA guy arrived), it was almost flat (hadn't removed it from the factory location in over 7 years). The only PSI number I could see on the side (at night) was 21. After the AAA guy changed the tire, I used my cigarette lighter/12v compressor to bump the PSI up to 18. When I arrived at Firestone the next day, I noticed the air had stayed in the tire (I couldn't get the cap to thread properly in the dark, and I was worried that after sitting for 7+ years there might be a leak).

15 minute intervals = a great idea . In this particular case I heard a sound that I assumed was the sealant coming out of a good sized hole on the inside sidewall (would have to have a good flashlight and crawl under the car to be certain). In this particular instance, I imagine I would have had the same result trying to put air in instead of sealant.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Yes. The kit is essentially some small lengths of sticky rubber 'rope', and a big hook needle like device. Thread the needle with the 'rope', push it all the way into the hole in the tire, then pull it back out far enough to unhook the needle. Viola, hole is now plugged.
Thanks ! Available at any mainstream auto store (AutoZone, NAPA, etc.) ?
Old 01-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEexpat View Post
Nook, some time ago I asked on here as to the fit of a full sized tire and wheel in the spare tire bay, how and if one would fit etc.

I was contemplating replacing the doughnut with full size when I made my trips out to OH. After some internal debate I opted for the portable compressor and plug kit option.

Portable from car to car, plus it just so happens to fit in the black storage tray in the wheel well.

Got the Viair 00073 70P Heavy Duty Portable Compressor off of Amazon.

I've plugged a few tires, I learned one way, and the way I do it is to twist the needle rubber holder a few times after the plug is inserted and before extracting it. Supposedly it will create a knot on the inside of the tire where the puncture is. I don't know, always worked me.

Of course I think most experts will tell you even after it's plugged it should be brought in the plug cut off flush on the inside and then it should be patched from the inside. That's what I've been told anyway.

I am sure there are others here who can speak to this with greater experience and expertise.
Thanks ! With 3 tires that are 44% worn (if the other 3 have the same wear as the blown one) and one new one I realized (while at Firestone) that when the 3 need replacing, I'll have one tire that is only half worn. I then asked the Firestone guy the same question you posed --- Will a full sized tire fit (other than height wise...of course it would stick up) in the 'donut cavity'. He said yes, but he doubted one could find an extra rim .

I keep my compressor under the passenger seat in my Yaris.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:08 PM   #12
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
^Nook, sorry about that mate, I should have added that the CTScott told me a full size would fit but stick up out of the tire bay so I opted for the Compressor/plug option.

I've got that area pretty organized in there and I really wanted it all to remain flat.

There is a car in my neighborhood that has been running around with a doughnut on for about 2 months now, and in the snow.

I just wanted some sort of method that would get me going again without any fuss or delay and then get me to the nearest service or tire place.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
^Nook, sorry about that mate, I should have added that the CTScott told me a full size would fit but stick up out of the tire bay so I opted for the Compressor/plug option.
^^^^^ Thanks, and thanks to CTScott for providing you with the information in the first place. What would be the best avenue re obtaining a 5th OEM 15" steelie ?

Quote:
There is a car in my neighborhood that has been running around with a doughnut on for about 2 months now, and in the snow.
The AAA guy told me not to go over 40 MPH on that tire.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:43 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
^^^^^ Thanks, and thanks to CTScott for providing you with the information in the first place. What would be the best avenue re obtaining a 5th OEM 15" steelie ?

The AAA guy told me not to go over 40 MPH on that tire.
I happen to have one OEM steelie on hand and it even has a decent OEM Bridgestone tire on it.

LOL on the guy driving around on the donut. I have been seeing one myself (on a full size Chevy sedan) every morning for the past two weeks at Starbucks. I guess the guy can't afford to get the original one fixed after spending $4 a day on coffee.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:59 PM   #15
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Same here. The kit has saved me 3 or 4 times in the past few years!

I would suggest a kit that includes a t-handle reamer like the one in the photo here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (17.8 KB, 43 views)
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:04 AM   #16
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
I carry a Craftsman portable air compressor with me (I don't EVER want to have to pay for air at a gas station), but a tire plug kit is a new wrinkle. Can a novice properly utilize such a kit?
Ive used them on my motorcycle for years. I had three in one tire once. Two in one hole and one in another. And fix a flat too! (prevents small leaks) I went 25 mpg for a few hours then worked my way up to 50. I also have carried a mini 12v compressor for years also. When I got the second nail I just carried on until I got to civilization and got a new rear tire.

Go to a gas station and watch them do the plug. They also make an internal plug/patch which requires dismounting the tire.

If you dont have a T handle reamer you can clamp a vicegrip on the screwdriver handle type.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:16 AM   #17
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
^
Ive been toying with the idea of getting four donuts for free at the junk yard and running them (I only drive less than 5000 miles a year now)

Free tires for life!
Old 01-31-2014, 08:19 AM   #18
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I have a flat on 3 of my tires, which i have plugged all, but one i cannot seem to be able to fix.. it's always leaking from the plug.

And that garage i went to in Vermont said they'd remove the tire and patch it from the inside. which obviously doesn't seem to be the case. Drove most of the summer last year with a slow leak. Now i've finally got to check it out and it's the plug again. WTH.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote