Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-20-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
Progessive Auto Insurance

I am with an "Off Brand" insurance company just so I could be able to drive my car off the lot. After a year, i decided that I should chose another insurance company for better protection for my Yaris.

First off, I have a horrible history. I was young and didn't know better. Geico, Nationwide, and other major insurance companies are charging close to (if not over) $200/month.

I looked at Progressive, they are going down to $120 for full coverage (25/50/10). But there is a catch. In order to get it that low, I would have to enroll in "MyRate" which is basically a tracker connected to the ODB. It tracks my cars acceleration, deceleration, driving time, etc; and it sends the info back to Progressive. Supposedly, if it shows that I am a careful driver, my premium will be lowered when I re-new.

My question, should I go with this deal? In actuality, I do already watch my speed/driving due in part to saving fuel and in part because of the crappy car insurance. But, I do occasionally floor it when running late to work or trying to catch thieves in black trucks full of beer. How does it know when that movement was necessary or careless? A real example, what if I had to slam on the brakes because some idiot in a H2 was too busy on this cell phone that he failed to yield when switching from the far left lane to my lane just to catch the off-ramp?

Let me know what y'all think. Thank-y'all and sorry for the long read.

Added Note: If I decline the MyRate feature, I think it goes up to $150-160.

Last edited by texkid; 06-20-2009 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Add a side note
texkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Wow, that's bizzare! I have enough of Big Brother, would I want a SPY in my car too?
I'm super blessed in paying $68/month for my loaded '08 HB with full coverage. BUT, I'm 41yo!
Let's see what the others think. The rates not too bad, but the "black box" thing is kinda spooky.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #3
texkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
Wow, that's bizzare! I have enough of Big Brother, would I want a SPY in my car too?
I'm super blessed in paying $68/month for my loaded '08 HB with full coverage. BUT, I'm 41yo!
Let's see what the others think. The rates not too bad, but the "black box" thing is kinda spooky.
I remember there was a pilot program by another insurance company. But they used a dash-cam type of monitoring. It was a trial-run and short lived.

Here is the link to the Progressive My Rate Program--LINK
Old 06-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
POORSHA

Drives: 2008 LB
I would do it. If you " screw up" you can always go back to the crappy insurance. Plus obd doesn't show everything.
POORSHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
I agree.
I would never want a spy in my car. This definately scary as its just a small step from this for the gov to require this OBD info also!
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #6
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Some years ago the insurance companies started to use credit ratings to factor in rates. There were a lot of people mad about that. I have a great credit rating and used that to my advantage. If you are a safe driver take advantage.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:03 AM   #7
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
If you go with this 'black box' and you do not 'pass' the safe driver marker...does the insurance drop you? Does this reflect on future rates if you do not drive accordingly with OTHER insurance companies? Sounds like a conspiracy and if info is shared, your rates could go sky high unless you drive perfectly.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
I wonder if that woman on the Progressive TV commercials puts on a spy vs spy hat and coat and comes to your house to put the black box on. No spy boxes for me!
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
I hadn't heard of this "MyRate" option but I did switch to Progressive a few months ago and my premium was cut in half for the same coverage as my old provider. I couldn't believe it.

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
you said you were stupid in your youth..... have you changed? If no... then going with the cheap rate won't do you any good cause after the first month or two they'll figure out you drive like a tool. If yes... then go with it and don't be scared... if you don't have a scanguage or similar tool already, there really is no concern for you.

On a side topic... progressive would've screwed me... I was out of the country for 6 months, sold my car before I left, they jacked up my quote by like 25% because I went without insurance sometime in the past three years. I even talked to a rep and explained it, they didn't care. My current company (farmers) didn't care one bit.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
Thieves in black trucks full of beer? I can't believe I'm the first person to ask about this lol.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #12
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
I would do it to lower my rate. If your rate goes down and you switch company, the new company will have your insurance info from Progressive.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #13
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by texkid View Post
Added Note: If I decline the MyRate feature, I think it goes up to $150-160.
I would find out if that's really what my rate would be without the MyRate first. If it is, I wouldn't mind paying that amount if it means Big Brother would get off my back. I personally don't like being spied on, it's annoying.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #14
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
As we go through life, we all have to take a stand on certain issues.
Having a spy in your car is one of them.

Would anyone also like to have a spy in their residence to monitor their actions?

To me, a car is a personal space just as a residence is and I detest any sort of spying/monitoring.

I'm not some youngster with something to hide. I'm an older gent who realizes the importance of protecting our privacy at all cost!
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #15
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
to the OP, how old are you, how many tickets/accidents, credit rating good/bad, married/single, student?

i am personally on american family insurance... i switched from progressive to esurance a couple years ago to save money, and then just switched to american family at the end of feb. this year, ran my math and i am saving approx $2k/year to switch from esurance

i currently have 2 tickets, and 1 accident showing

i am insuring 3 vehicles and my apartment with them for $260/month
vehicle 1: 2001 toyota echo
vehicle 2: 2001 toyota prius
vehicle 3: 1993 jeep cherokee

apartment, $70k coverage with my wife's hearing aids($10k) scheduled coverage...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #16
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Insurance is a scam. I've cost insurance companies exactly 0 dollars over 7 years, and yet some 40 year old that has cost his insurance company 20 grand just in the last 3 years still gets lower rates then me. And then I see this crap about accident forgiveness from all these insurance companies. THERE'S a great idea. Lets discount the people who cost us the MOST money!

Lets do away with insurance, and maybe people will learn to drive....

You might as well just go with AIG since you've already paid a year's worth of insurance in tax money. They're giving discounts to taxpayers right?
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #17
texkid

I have maybe 3 speeding tickets, 3 accidents (1 unreported), license was suspended back in 2005.

I have improved since then. My mother even said so herself!

I am fulltime student, work part time, married, and decent credit rating.

I am still going to look at other insurance companies to see what else is out there.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #18
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
okay i am gonna recommend american family insurance... they have good rates and great coverage...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote