Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-13-2007, 04:11 PM   #1
duck

Drives: 2007 Silver Sedan
head unit screws

I'm hoping to add a bit of protection against the theft of my new head unit and short of taping over it so they can't see what it is, I thought of using some screws with odd shaped heads, such as torx or spanner or star as opposed to the usual philips or flathead.

does anyone know the standard size of the head unit screws on a 2007 yaris sedan so I can order some replacements online? I suppose I can take one out, go to a hardware store, figure it out there, see that they probably don't sell an unusual enough screw, and go online with that info, but i'm hoping someone already knows.

thanks!

also any tips for hiding a 7" screen in the dash from prying eyes (besides 100% window tint) would be a plus!
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
just take your oem screws to the hardware store and match them to any type you would like.
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:38 AM   #3
duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey1320 View Post
just take your oem screws to the hardware store and match them to any type you would like.
thanks, but i'm hoping someone might know? so i don't have to:
call an hour ahead to parking garage to get the car out
get car out, drive around looking for a parking spot
jack the dash to remove a screw. reassemble so the parking garage doesn't get afraid of liability
take the car back to the garage (or leave in that parking spot) since there is no parking near any hardware store
take the subway to home depot
match a screw. then try to find one with an odd-shaped head.
take subway back home with new screws
Old 06-14-2007, 10:09 AM   #4
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
unless you are saving the old lead unit for the future ( can't see why ) take off the front of it, and use it as a false face for the new HU? I'm sure it can be done with patience.
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:00 PM   #5
duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleyaris View Post
unless you are saving the old lead unit for the future ( can't see why ) take off the front of it, and use it as a false face for the new HU? I'm sure it can be done with patience.
I don't have a face (that sounded weird). It's just the stock radio. looks kind of (but not quite) like this:
http://www.yarispartsstore.com/image...aris_Radio.jpg
Otherwise I'd reuse the face unless of course it would mean recessing my new radio (would make it harder to reach the touchscreen)

Last edited by duck; 06-14-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:38 PM   #6
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
from what ive found if it looks builtin people will leave it alone. Ive left mine in the car (forgot actually) and havent had a problem and our area is pretty shitty. my wifes car got broken into last week and all they stole was 75 cents, two days ago they smashed a corona bottle off the door window and bent the trim all to hell.. the more I talk about it the more I want to move...
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:43 PM   #7
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeukrainetz View Post
from what ive found if it looks builtin people will leave it alone. Ive left mine in the car (forgot actually) and havent had a problem and our area is pretty shitty. my wifes car got broken into last week and all they stole was 75 cents, two days ago they smashed a corona bottle off the door window and bent the trim all to hell.. the more I talk about it the more I want to move...
Geez, we need to start beheading phuch-tards for petty crime and it might just set the tone for responsibility. I always thought CA was a little more laid back?
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:12 PM   #8
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
it is, but every place has pockets, especially cities like Toronto 3 million people and Vancouver 1 million plus i think! BTY I haven'r forgot about that favour, I 'll check for you!!
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:45 AM   #9
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Well, let me tell you this, if the thief goes as far as removing the dash panels, to unscrew your stereo and finds "special" screws, he's going to be pissed and most likely start prying at shit, causing more damage...

and what the hell kind of condo you living in, you have to call ahead to get your car out, thats B.S.

no parking at the homedepot? how does one buy large items??? like drywall?
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:58 AM   #10
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
it's actually pretty shitty in NYC.

but i haven't seen one home depot there since i last visit.
you never go downtown or uptown by car.. because there are no parking whatsoever. (i still don't understand why ppl drive there (manhattan especially)

Finding parking in Chinatown is just as hard as looking for a needle in the grass. When you do find one.. you have to walk quite far.. and the come back again for the park meter 1-1.5hrs later :P Or you can use the indoor parkings.. but it's 25$ right when you get in. :O Let me tell you it's hell when 1$ = 1.60cad hehe
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #11
duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
Well, let me tell you this, if the thief goes as far as removing the dash panels, to unscrew your stereo and finds "special" screws, he's going to be pissed and most likely start prying at shit, causing more damage...

and what the hell kind of condo you living in, you have to call ahead to get your car out, thats B.S.

no parking at the homedepot? how does one buy large items??? like drywall?
well the more damage the better. i'd have to pay a $500 deductible anyway.

i live in an apartment but have to part at a garage a couple of blocks away. this is nyc, not all buildings have parking, and street parking is impossible. i also pay as much for parking as many people do in rent.

and as far as home depot, this is nyc, we don't go there for drywall... people go for little things. they do have a home depot doorman, i suppose he would watch your car as you ran in and picked something up.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #12
duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
it's actually pretty shitty in NYC.

but i haven't seen one home depot there since i last visit.
you never go downtown or uptown by car.. because there are no parking whatsoever. (i still don't understand why ppl drive there (manhattan especially)

Finding parking in Chinatown is just as hard as looking for a needle in the grass. When you do find one.. you have to walk quite far.. and the come back again for the park meter 1-1.5hrs later :P Or you can use the indoor parkings.. but it's 25$ right when you get in. :O Let me tell you it's hell when 1$ = 1.60cad hehe
there are actually TWO home depots in manhattan.
and yes the us dollar sucks. i remember when i felt like a rich man getting canadian dollars when i was in college
Old 06-27-2007, 12:44 PM   #13
duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeukrainetz View Post
i don't think anything would look at built-in as when i had this same head unit in my impreza. yet it was still stolen. this is the replacement.

i don't want to go through a ton of effort here, i just thought if it was something easy enough it would be worth the trouble. it sounds like it is not.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:36 AM   #14
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
thanks, but i'm hoping someone might know? so i don't have to:
call an hour ahead to parking garage to get the car out
get car out, drive around looking for a parking spot
jack the dash to remove a screw. reassemble so the parking garage doesn't get afraid of liability
take the car back to the garage (or leave in that parking spot) since there is no parking near any hardware store
take the subway to home depot
match a screw. then try to find one with an odd-shaped head.
take subway back home with new screws
Damn, it would sucking living there, no offense. I wouldn't bother with a car, personally. But hey, whatever works for you.

Sorry, can't remember the size of the top of my head. I think they are

M5 x 4mm long. These are metric machine screws with a flat head. Buy screws that need an allen wrench to put on (hex screws)
earljail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:32 PM   #15
AlphaFox

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback - silver
If someone wants to take your radio, it wont matter what kind of screws you have in there. they will just destroy your dash hacking out the screws. it happened to me in my old car, it was an aftermarket radio and you needed those key things to remove it. they didnt have them so they smashed the dash so they could get out the HU. besides, why would someone be that interested in a factory HU??
AlphaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:07 AM   #16
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFox View Post
If someone wants to take your radio, it wont matter what kind of screws you have in there. they will just destroy your dash hacking out the screws.
Yeah, seriously, they'll take a crow bar or hammer and just start smashing.
earljail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #17
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
lol like they all say, if they want it, they will take it period.

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote