Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Ot_tO

Drives: Look Signature... ;-)
Question steering wheel further into the interior, Yaris 3dr 2009-2011

Hi,

the title sounds strange...?

Here we go...
I'm a nearly 2 meter man.
The steering wheel is pulled out completely.
If I adjusting the driver's seat for a comfortable journey my arms are not long enough to turn the steering wheel with only one hand.
With the hand-clench, you could imagine it?

Is there a possibility for to extend the steering rod that the steering wheel comes closer to the driver?

Thanks

YARIS II (XP9F) Facelift (2009-2011) 3dr Executive 1.33 (74kW/101PS/99hp) 6gear-MultiMode Jan/2010 (german version)
Ot_tO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
vadr45
vadr45

Drives: 2009 Base 3-door
Thank you Ot tO! I too am a 2 meter man and I have the same problem. I've asked on this forum before but have never gotten an answer.

I know that there are wheel-extenders for cars without airbags; I've even installed one. But the airbag complicates the action. Soooo...is there an extender out there that can be used in a Yaris so we 2-M types can sit comfortably without hand-extenders?

Garm? Are you there? Do you have a solution?

vadr45
Alexandria, VA
2009 Black Base 3-Door Yaris
1950 Austin A70 Hampshire
vadr45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
something like this should be easily do-able, but it would likely mean removing the airbag and using a racing steering wheel.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
the Captain is right, unless you find a way to extend the airbag wires which is risky and could result in the airbag going off when you hit the horn or a bump, and that would be bad plus that would put the air bag closer and possibly make it dangerous should you get into a wreck. I;m around the same height and have to set all gansta to drive.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Tall steering hub + quick release plus a dished aftermarket wheel will bring it as close as you want.

but yes -- you'll lose your airbag functionality.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
vadr45
vadr45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Tall steering hub + quick release plus a dished aftermarket wheel will bring it as close as you want.
but yes -- you'll lose your airbag functionality.
Well that sucks, Garm - I would have thought that if anyone could solve this problem with a couple of wires and chewing gum, it would be you. Okay, I guess we need to rethink this...

The real issue is that modern cars have steering wheels that are tilted back at the top and forward at the bottom to accommodate the "new" driving style, in which the wheel is held at the 8 and 4 positions. Those of us who have this problem, I suspect, want to continue to hold the wheel in the 10 and 2 positions.

What if we were to raise the seat up an inch or so above the tracks or raise the tracks up? That would give us a bit more leg room and allow us to reach down with our hands toward the top of the wheel in a slightly closer and certainly more comfortable position. So:
1. Does this theory make sense?
2. How would one go about raising the seat? (Longer bolts on either end of the track with spacers to raise the track up an inch?)
3. Would raising the seats compromise safety in any way?

vadr45
Alexandria, VA
Old 06-24-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
tforkner

Drives: 08 liftback 5 speed
This steering wheel problem wouldn't bother me so much if the darn thing didn't have that big third spoke at 6 o'clock. I know it's not good form, but I like to cruise with one hand on the wheel there but I can't. Could the wheel be taken off and put back on rotated 180 degrees?
tforkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I know it's not good form, but I like to cruise with one hand on the wheel there but I can't.
It's not just bad form. It's unsafe, to you and to other drivers.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

vadr45, you can lower the wheel more than the stock position with a few washers under the bolts that hold up the steering column. This will not affect your tilt function, just lowers the wheel a bit.

You can use spacers, up to a point, under your seat brackets. Anything more than about 1/2" will cause the angle to be wrong and the brackets can't be bolts down (note the front bolts go into the floor at an angle).

hope that helps --
Old 06-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
vadr45
vadr45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
vadr45, you can lower the wheel more than the stock position with a few washers under the bolts that hold up the steering column. This will not affect your tilt function, just lowers the wheel a bit.
You can use spacers, up to a point, under your seat brackets. Anything more than about 1/2" will cause the angle to be wrong and the brackets can't be bolts down (note the front bolts go into the floor at an angle).
hope that helps --
Garm:

You always are helpful. I already have the steering wheel lowered to the maximum and I don't know if I will have space for my knees if I lower it further, but it's worth exploring.

If I were to raise the seat up 1/2" and lower the wheel somewhat, it might well have the effect of (in essence) extending the wheel toward the driver. And I would be better able to drive with my knees on those occasions when I'm feeling totally irresponsible!

Well, Ot tO - do we have a solution in your view?

vadr45
Alexandria, VA
Old 07-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #11
Ot_tO

Drives: Look Signature... ;-)
Smile

Thanks to all!

To move the seat more back isn't the solution for me.
Then the steering whell is more far for my arms.

To adjust the steering wheel more down isn't the solution for me.
The steering wheel is now already on my legs.

I will sticky with an airbag.
So an sport steering whell without airbag isn't the solution for me.

As I installed a sport steering wheel in my previous car (also a small car ), I pulled out the cable for the horn from the old and pushed in to the new push-button of the new sport steering wheel.
This was a long cable.

I don't understand why I couldn't do this with one, two more cables for the airbag...

Ohh... - I think I must live with the short steering rod...

If I compare with an other car, I can adjust the steering wheel so much to the interior that I could drive with my nose...

YARIS II (XP9F) Facelift (2009-2011) 3dr Executive 1.33 (74kW/101PS/99hp) 6gear-MultiMode Jan/2010 (german version)
Ot_tO is offline   Reply With Quote