Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-30-2006, 08:01 PM   #1
plushDJ

Drives: 2007 3 dr manual
Firewall!!

So, I read a post on here where one guy says you need to drill a hole in the firewall for amp wire and another guy says there's already a hole there. So here's a question for the guy who found the hole.....can you get a pic of it because I can't find it. And how hard is it to run the wire through the engine compartment because it looks cramped as hell to me.
plushDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
JaiTomato

Drives: 07 sedan-flint mica, 96VFR750
Here is a hole I found: In the passenger side under the floor mat where it looks like the A/C drains. I just drilled a hole in the rubber just snug enough for the amp wire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firewall access.jpg (96.9 KB, 323 views)
JaiTomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:48 PM   #3
plushDJ

Hey cool, that might work, I opted out on the a/c so hopefully I'll just have a big rubber plug to play with. I'm running 1/0 gauge so I'll need lots of space lol.
And I see you ran the rca under the dash too. Just a word of advice, sometimes if you run the rca and the power cable too close too each other you'll get a distorted signal, but it doesn't happen very often. You should be ok.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:05 PM   #4
plushDJ

well, I found the plug and no way my wire'll fit. Any other suggestions?? Anyone?? Please help, I don't wanna have to pay for something I can do myself
Old 05-30-2006, 10:47 PM   #5
Sp33dY
www.OZTOYOTA.com

Drives: Toyota Echo
Why dont u justr remove a gromet, and redrill a bigger hole, replace with a bigger grommet ... VOILA... SURELY there is somewhere through the firewall using an existing rubber grommet??!!??!

Run power down one side of the car .... RCA's down the other .... EASY. !
Old 05-31-2006, 12:00 AM   #6
Bones

Drives: 07 Yaris S Type
There's a big rubber grommet with "nipples" on the driver side. It's where most of the car wiring runs inside. You can cut the nipple and it' an instant grommet. I ran a 10g, two 12g, and other alarm wiring through it. It's hard to get to, unless you remove the black metal plate (runs across the engine bay) that the windshield wiper motor mounts to. It's held on by several 10mm bolts. It'll take a good half hour but it's well worth it, as the wires are hidden and away from water path.

RCA and speaker wires, a good rule is at leat 12inches away from power wires. You can also run it on opposite sides of the car. There are alot of good "shielded" RCA which wil prevent engine noise if you wish to put them beside power wires.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:14 PM   #7
plushDJ

Awesome, thanks boys!!!
Old 06-01-2006, 12:20 AM   #8
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
Ive posted a whole how to on Yarisowners.com (probably the same thread that was mentioned earlier).
I have now posted photos as well, some supplementary info if you will.

Drilling the hole in the firewall was simple, didnt take much time, easy access and provided a good location for access to the battery and door sills without sacrificing an extra three or four feet of cable.

See the post it may or may not answer your questions but it may help.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote