Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-23-2011, 01:50 AM   #1
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Drives: Yaris LB
Lightbulb luggage rack/carrier and Rocklohoma

Not exactly sure if I'm putting this in the right area, but I'm looking for any suggestions from people with experience with installing/using a luggage rack on their Yaris 3 dr LB.

I'm looking at the THule 400xt Aero Foot Pack right now. Pricing I see is pretty much the same everywhere so far that I have found. Looking at ordering from www.orsracksdirect.com at the moment. Still need to decide on something to carry my luggage though, preferably something that can lock. I saw a few options from Thule and Inno on that website around the $220-$250 range. Wondering if there are any cheaper alternatives out there I am missing.

btw, I need the extra space cause me and couple friends are going to Rocklohoma in Pryor, OK in May. Anyone interested in going and hanging out for a weekend of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Rock?
wsladaritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:56 AM   #2
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
i've ordered stuff thru ors and they do go work!

as for your rack-situation - i'm not sure you're going to like the answer. the yaris 3-door can fit the thule kit you ask about, but you're not going to be able to put more than a couple bike racks or maybe a small basket on top. the reason is the crossbar spread is only going to be something like 13 inches tops(the distance between the two bars). with only two doors to work with and no stretch kits currently available(yakima and thule both make them, but not for our cars) you're stuck limited options.

i would recommend getting the thule kit with the basket on top. it's a wire basket only a couple inches deep that will fit on top of the bars and then get some waterproof bags(the kind you would use to store stuff while canoeing - most sporting goods stores have them) and strap them to the top.

i used to have a 3-door like yours and i know how little space there is in the 'trunk' with the rear seat being used. i now have a 4-door yaris sedan and i'm able to use a yakima roof kit and thule box to carry extra when i need to. you will see a decrease in your mileage, however, even with a fairing installed on the roof rack so be warned. i like the look and utility of it so much that i keep it on all the time with my bike rack so i can just throw it on and off to the park! good luck!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #3
Rob MC

Drives: 2009 Yaris 4 DR Hatchback
Question 2009 toyota yaris 5-dr hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
i've ordered stuff thru ors and they do go work!

as for your rack-situation - i'm not sure you're going to like the answer. the yaris 3-door can fit the thule kit you ask about, but you're not going to be able to put more than a couple bike racks or maybe a small basket on top. the reason is the crossbar spread is only going to be something like 13 inches tops(the distance between the two bars). with only two doors to work with and no stretch kits currently available(yakima and thule both make them, but not for our cars) you're stuck limited options.

i would recommend getting the thule kit with the basket on top. it's a wire basket only a couple inches deep that will fit on top of the bars and then get some waterproof bags(the kind you would use to store stuff while canoeing - most sporting goods stores have them) and strap them to the top.

i used to have a 3-door like yours and i know how little space there is in the 'trunk' with the rear seat being used. i now have a 4-door yaris sedan and i'm able to use a yakima roof kit and thule box to carry extra when i need to. you will see a decrease in your mileage, however, even with a fairing installed on the roof rack so be warned. i like the look and utility of it so much that i keep it on all the time with my bike rack so i can just throw it on and off to the park! good luck!
Your post was quite informative. I own a 2009 toyota yaris 5-dr hatchback. Do you know if the same principle you mentioned for the 3-dr would apply to the 5-dr? I'm interested in installing a roof rack with a basket for the purpose of camping trips etc. I understand that leaving it one would slightly decrease mpg performance. As there are different manufacterers my last question would be, what would be the most appropriate model(s) for the 5-dr? Also, what would be a reasonable load capacity on the rack/basket? thanks for the help.
Rob MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:31 AM   #4
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
^i believe you should be ok since you have the 5-door, but i haven't looked at any fit guides since before the 5-door became available here. i would recommend either thule or yakima if you're looking for a quality roof-top system with a lifetime guarantee.

check either of their websites to see updated fit charts. i know the weight limit on my yakima roof-top is 100lbs., but i think it varies by vehicle.

the issue the 3-doors have is that there's currently no way for the crossbar spread to exceed 13 inches without drilling into your car(installing tracks). this eliminates carrying anything on top other than bikes, a small basket, or skis/snowboards.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:39 AM   #5
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Here is a list of parts you need for a bike rack:
Thule Aero Foot Pack 400 or 400xt
Thule Fit Kit #2196
Thule 50" load Bars
Thule 871xt or 871 38" Fairing
and the appropriate bike mount attachment.
If you need it for a Kayak, Cargo Basket, or Cargo Box you will also need the:
Thule 477 Short roof adapter.
I am building the Roof rack to accommodate a cargo basket.

I go tmy rack from cargogear.com
they are quite good with free shipping!
I also highly suggest the Yakima basketcase basket, its very shallow and fit the 12" gap between the gap. If your wanting a locking luggage compartment you'll need the short rood adapter that is listed above to make that option work.

http://www.cargogear.com/OneItemInfo...tnum=THTYAR307
^ bars and mounts

fairing is about $80
and basket is 100$

expect to pay close to 400 unless you can find used parts on ebay or craiglist.....

:)
roof racks are so much fun though.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
Rob MC

Nice!!! Thank you both for all the info...I definitely wanna be able to load my canoe on it (or bike). Slowly but surely I'll start getting all the gear and posting some pics. Thanks again.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
Rob MC

hey yo! This past weekend I installed an Inno rack with a basket. Thanks for all the help. I'll take and upload some pictures as soon as the weather is nice up hear. Peace.

Tags
carrier, luggae, rack, rock, rocklohoma