Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-31-2007, 11:28 AM   #19
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabL View Post
Well, you have to ask GuySmiley for that... haha, he posted that diagram.
sorry gabl thought it was yours. but anyways we should talk about hid on the next meet...
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:31 PM   #20
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Drives: 5 Dr Yaris RS in Blazing Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
sorry gabl thought it was yours. but anyways we should talk about hid on the next meet...
yeah, hopefully I can get the circuit figured out and installed by the next meet!
GabL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:55 PM   #21
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabL View Post
yeah, hopefully I can get the circuit figured out and installed by the next meet!
yah i think the next meet is this weekend sunday

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7520

by the way recent fix on this update 06/25/2010 just disconnect blue wire fr relay.

Last edited by marcus; 06-24-2010 at 03:37 PM.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:40 PM   #22
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
wicked diagram gabl..question though.. so the headlight is turned on thru ground not power + wire? what about the fog light how was that turned on?
all new toyota's are actually ground switched. so you basically can get a constant + (red/positive) anywhere in the car.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:09 PM   #23
GuySmily

Drives: 2005 Toyota MR2
Information on HID Bulbs
HID bulbs are... sensitive... compared to regular halogen bulbs. They require extra voltage to start up (ignite), and if you turn them off, you must let them "cool down" before turning them back on (30 seconds or so). This is because of the materials used in HID technology.

When you first turn HID lights on, extra voltage is applied to the bulbs (20,000-25,000 volts I think) to convert salts in the bulbs into xenon gas. This is why when you first turn on your HIDs you will see them change colors, starting blue or green, then eventually becoming pure white (or whatever color your bulbs are). The ballasts (the boxes that power HID bulbs) slowly turn down the power to the bulb, since it takes less electricity to keep the lights on once the startup/warmup process is complete.

When you turn the lights off, the voltage to the bulbs are cut off, and as the bulbs cool down the xenon gas slowly turns back into solid salts (takes about 30 seconds).

Now... If you flick your HIDs off and on, they will get pissed off at you and turn red/orange/pink. No joke. When you turn the lights back on, the ballasts feed the full 20,000+ volts into the bulbs even though the salt has already been converted into xenon gas. This damages the bulbs and significantly decreases their life span.

Why does this matter to you?
With your stock headlights, when you flash someone (or switch to high beams), your low beam turns off, and your high beam turns on. Duh, right? But what if we switch to HIDs? Now we've got a problem. We need to keep the low beam on AT THE SAME TIME that the high beam is on. Don't worry, we can solve this very easily when we begin wiring the HIDs.

Information on Wiring Harnesses
Some people will tell you that you can power your HIDs off of the stock wiring 100% safely, and that they have been doing it for the last 10 years!!! Sounds great, right?

There are several reasons I refuse to take power from the stock headlight wires:
  • The stock wire to the battery is only designed to power one filament at a time (either low or high). This is especially problematic with a kit like GabL has, where we will need to power the high beam bulb AND the low beam HIDs SIMULTANEOUSLY.
  • HID ballasts pull a lot of current to fire up the bulb (as I explained earlier). Who knows if the stock wiring is designed to handle this extra draw? Do you want to find out by risking a car fire?

What really happens most of the time is people try to use the stock wires for power, but find the HIDs only go "click click click click" and flicker on off on off (which is bad for the bulb as I have already explained). This is because the HID ballast starts to ignite the bulb, but runs out of juice due to the restrictive stock wiring. It tries this over and over again, which slowly kills both itself and the bulb. Some people don't have this problem, but to me, it just isn't worth the risk of losing my whole car.

The Solution
If we use the stock headlight wires to trigger a relay (a special type of switch), we can avoid all these problems. The relay will connect the HID ballasts/bulbs to the battery/ground, using our own wires chosen for this specific purpose.

I'll add more background info as we need it. Now that we know what to do, let's get started. (I'm working on post/part 3 now)

-----------------------------------
fyi, the foglight bulbs appear to be positive switched, while the relay that switches the foglights are negative switched. Confused yet? lol.. Unfortunately, I think the fog lamps turn off when the high beams are turned on, so you cannot simply wire the + and - wires of the fog lights to trigger your relay. The solution is similar to how we will wire GabL's low beam.

Last edited by GuySmily; 08-01-2007 at 08:29 PM.
GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:22 PM   #24
GuySmily

For a normal bi-xenon retrofit, we want to use this diagram (created by JAZZ, posted @ hidplanet.com):

#1, #2, and #3 refer to pins on the female socket (plug) for the stock bulb.

True bi-xenon headlamps use a single HID bulb that provides light for both low AND high beam. The projectors in these headlights have a cutoff shield that can be moved up/aside by a solenoid (same way old fashioned doorbells work) to allow more light to escape, forming the high beam.

To mimic the bi-xenon feature, GabL's kit uses an additional bulb to provide the high beam (there is no projector/shield/solenoid/etc in a regular Yaris headlight). While technically, I could erase "Bi-Xenon Solenoid" on the diagram and replace it with "High Beam Bulb," I think we can simplify things even further. You'll notice that in the above diagram, relays are used for both high and low beams. I think we can skip the high beam relay because GabL's kit uses a regular halogen bulb, which is exactly what the stock wiring is designed for.

I am now modifying the diagram to fit GabL's needs in part4/post4.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Real quick before I start part 4 / post 4:

Guys, keep in mind I don't have a Yaris (my girlfriend does)... If anything here doesn't make sense or doesn't match up with your car, let me know. Also, use your common sense. If anything feels dangerous or uncomfortable, stop and think it through before risking hurting/killing yourself.

Your bulb plug looks like this, right?

If so, then you probably want to order a MALE connector from here:
http://www.comagination.com/parts.htm
You could cut your stock wire, but... I think that'd be a REALLY bad idea.

People doing single-xenon (low beam only) or proper bixenon retrofits will only need 1.

If you have a kit with HID low and halogen high like GabL, you will need 2 (one pair), because you are going to use the high beam wires from both sides to power the high beam in your kit.

I recommend buying the connectors without wires, because I recommend using thicker wires. I used 12 gauge wire for my setup, but I have a mid-engine car so I had to run wires all the way from the back of my car to the front. People say 14ga is plenty good, and 16ga is fine too. In my opinion, 18ga is the thinnest I would go. If you want to, you can use their connectors with 18ga wire since it will be easier to use. Your choice.

Also... I bought 6 connectors (without wires) because I knew I would screw up and need replacement spades (the pins that go into the stock female plug). I ended up using most of them. I suggest you do like me and buy extras, otherwise if you screw up you'll have to wait for a few days while they ship you new ones. If you buy the connectors with wires, a screwup is easier to fix - you can cut off part of the wire and try again. Still, if you're doing a $200+ HID retro on your $15000+ car, then you may as well spring the extra $5-$10 for a few extra connectors, just in case.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:29 PM   #25
GuySmily

Notice that in the diagram in my last post, there's only one set of H4 (common/high/low) wires. This is okay in that case because the stock wires are only used to trigger relays, which takes almost 0 power.

For GabL, I want to eliminate the high beam relay.

...To be continued (working on diagram)
Old 08-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #26
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Drives: 5 Dr Yaris RS in Blazing Blue
Hey GuySmily, thanks for the info!! However, I am not getting a HID kit, but rather I'm having an OEM module (see my other post http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho....php?p=119097). And it seems that I can keep the factory setup and just re-route the wires to match the lights, but the problem now is the find the matching connectors to fit onto the ones on the headlight module... I hope I don't have to fly to Taiwan to get them...
GabL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:27 PM   #27
GuySmily

Wow, I didn't realize it was an entire housing and everything. I'm both impressed and appalled that Toyota did this (usually halogen+xenon sharing same bulb is considered to be cheap aftermarket garbage)..

Anyway... In that case, I'll stop where I'm at with this post and continue the discussion in your original thread.

For anyone who is wiring up an aftermarket semi bi-xenon (hid low, halogen high) kit, here is the wiring diagram you'll want:

Let me know if you need further help (or see GabL's other thread)