Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-01-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
Tune Up?? any DIY !!

i cant seem to find a diy for how to tune up our yaris..unless were just replacing the plugs after 100k ??

Last edited by marcus; 11-02-2009 at 04:12 PM.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
The best thing you can do is to run a good fuel system cleaner every 5,000 to 10,000 miles. Cleaning out the fuel system and injectors will keep the car running smoothly.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
or just pay the extra 2cents a gallon for good gas (like chevron)... and you'll have nothing to worry about.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Change the plugs and air filter and the transmission oil if you have a manual. Get to know the parts of the car that are inspected like ball joints, CV boots etc.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
cool..i guess this modern cars dont need timing readjustment... fuel line cleaner sound good..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
cool..i guess this modern cars dont need timing readjustment... fuel line cleaner sound good..
not ones with timing chains anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
The best thing you can do is to run a good fuel system cleaner every 5,000 to 10,000 miles. Cleaning out the fuel system and injectors will keep the car running smoothly.
I'll put money that using fuel cleaners every 5,000 miles will result in you replacing a fuel filter or pump before you would get any buildup had you never used cleaners.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Fuel filter? Where is this on the sedan? And how many miles before you change it?
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
I'll put money that using fuel cleaners every 5,000 miles will result in you replacing a fuel filter or pump before you would get any buildup had you never used cleaners.
Why? Do they damage the parts? I used Techron two tankfuls in a row with no probs. They were the 12oz. sized bottles.
Also, last time out I put Sunoco Ultra in to see how it runs...GREAT!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
See you in a 100,000 miles and we will find out.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:06 PM   #10
posaunemeister

Drives: 2008 Yaris S LB - MM
IMHO, fuel injector cleaners are a waste if being used in new(er) cars, i.e., anything younger than 3yrs old or has less than 36K miles. Frequent use of cheap gas and air filter malfunctions are variables to be considered, of course.
posaunemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:09 AM   #11
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by posaunemeister View Post
IMHO, fuel injector cleaners are a waste if being used in new(er) cars, i.e., anything younger than 3yrs old or has less than 36K miles. Frequent use of cheap gas and air filter malfunctions are variables to be considered, of course.
Please read. I didn't say fuel injector cleaner.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:33 AM   #12
posaunemeister

Drives: 2008 Yaris S LB - MM
Quote:
Sorry. But you did mention fuel injector, and for some reason, that's all I remembered. But even still, you would come out cheaper just running on a tank high octane fuel to clean out your fuel system as opposed to paying $6 on a bottle of over-hyped detergent. Most fuels have detergents in them anyway, and filling up with a higher octane would only cost you $1.10 more per tank and would yield more noticeable benefits, I believe.
posaunemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #13
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro View Post
Fuel filter? Where is this on the sedan? And how many miles before you change it?

The FF is on the fuel pump which is in the gas tank. There is no change interval speced, as in the ECHO.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #14
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by posaunemeister View Post
Sorry. But you did mention fuel injector, and for some reason, that's all I remembered. But even still, you would come out cheaper just running on a tank high octane fuel to clean out your fuel system as opposed to paying $6 on a bottle of over-hyped detergent. Most fuels have detergents in them anyway, and filling up with a higher octane would only cost you $1.10 more per tank and would yield more noticeable benefits, I believe.
See you in a 100,000 miles and we'll find out.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #15
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
or just pay the extra 2cents a gallon for good gas (like chevron)... and you'll have nothing to worry about.
Does it work even after 2.5 years of using cheap gas? Never had any problems with the car, but I changed my exhaust 2 weeks ago and also filled the tank with Chevron. The funny thing is, I seem to be getting a better mpg on this tank and I don't know whether it's the exhaust or the gas. It's probably both

So, back to my question, will using better gas clean the injectors over time or should I use something else? And if so, what should I get? Anything from the gas station or is there some secret power potion?
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #16
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
Does it work even after 2.5 years of using cheap gas? Never had any problems with the car, but I changed my exhaust 2 weeks ago and also filled the tank with Chevron. The funny thing is, I seem to be getting a better mpg on this tank and I don't know whether it's the exhaust or the gas. It's probably both

So, back to my question, will using better gas clean the injectors over time or should I use something else? And if so, what should I get? Anything from the gas station or is there some secret power potion?
There is a secret power potion, unfortunately, it's still a secret. The real secret is to do regular prescribed maintenance. Anything more than that is because you love your Yaris.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:59 PM   #17
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Quote:
What kind of fuel system cleaner doesnt clean the injectors.?
And as fuel system cleaners are formulated into the gas at the pump i'll also agree with posaunemeister that any kind of fuel additive is a waste of money,you'd get better return on money by buying wife/mom/girlfriend a bunch of flowers and then taking them out for supper
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:41 AM   #18
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What kind of fuel system cleaner doesnt clean the injectors.?
And as fuel system cleaners are formulated into the gas at the pump i'll also agree with posaunemeister that any kind of fuel additive is a waste of money,you'd get better return on money by buying wife/mom/girlfriend a bunch of flowers and then taking them out for supper
You are free to think and do whatever you want. Buy flowers, if that is what you want. I don't rag on your beliefs.