Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-02-2009, 06:13 AM   #1
bear4

Drives: 2007 yaris
Over 100,000mi on one set of tires!

I wanted to share my great experience with Michelin Harmony tires I have on my 01 Echo for 101,000 miles now! Look at pictures - the tires are still good! Has anybody else exprience the same with Michelin? Although I am looking for a new set soon, I believe it is time now...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tires 001.jpg (145.6 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg tires 002.jpg (95.8 KB, 182 views)
bear4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #2
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Wow, that's incredible. Those things must be hard as a rock! What rotation strategy (if any) did you use? Typical driving?

You should write Michelin and tell them. Maybe they'll send you some free crap?
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
The wear indicators are not showing. You don't need to get new tires, yet. What do you do, drive at 30 MPH in a straight line?
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
advocate

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
Wow, that's incredible. Those things must be hard as a rock! What rotation strategy (if any) did you use? Typical driving?

You should write Michelin and tell them. Maybe they'll send you some free crap?
This might be a good idea. Could potentially get an advertising campaign going for them or something haha.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I once had a set of Kirkland AT (made by michelin) for a Toyota 4X4. The tires had 70k when I sold the truck and probably good for another 20k. Great summer tires, however in rain, ice, snow they were real slick. Winter driving took extra care.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Congratulations! That is quite a feat! I'd be very interested in your tire maintanence habits if you cared to elaborate.

I had a set of Firestone Steeltex AT's on a 98 Chevy K1500 that have 140k mi on them. My dad now owns the truck and they are still on there! They were the factory tires when I took delivery of the truck on April 11, 1998. Most people don't keep vehicles that long let alone tires, lol. I checked air pressures every week and religiously rotated them every 6k. The amazing part is the truck weighed 6k lbs all the time.

Definitely write michelin and send them pics. I still have my 100k pics that I was going to send to Firestone but never did. What have you got to lose? They are good tires but you obviously deserve som credit also!

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
posaunemeister

Drives: 2008 Yaris S LB - MM
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate View Post
This might be a good idea. Could potentially get an advertising campaign going for them or something haha.
Like, like Jared for Subway sandwiches.
posaunemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
ya...i was gonna say that's not the OEM crappy bridgestones that came from the newer yaris. i have 21k and i'm widdled down to near nothing. with a 160 treadwear rating you'd think they were slicks or something

any way, i love michellin. too bad for me though that i can never afford 4 at one time so i settle for fuzion, firestone or bridgestones. mostly summer performance only since i live near the sun belt.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
bear4

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Congratulations! That is quite a feat! I'd be very interested in your tire maintanence habits if you cared to elaborate.

I had a set of Firestone Steeltex AT's on a 98 Chevy K1500 that have 140k mi on them. My dad now owns the truck and they are still on there! They were the factory tires when I took delivery of the truck on April 11, 1998. Most people don't keep vehicles that long let alone tires, lol. I checked air pressures every week and religiously rotated them every 6k. The amazing part is the truck weighed 6k lbs all the time.

Definitely write michelin and send them pics. I still have my 100k pics that I was going to send to Firestone but never did. What have you got to lose? They are good tires but you obviously deserve som credit also!

R2

I don't really do anything special to them, rotate every 5-8k miles and check pressure maybe once a month, that's it. I drive mostly highway at high speeds, rarely stop and go and my echo is a manual. I am thinking about replacing them though as I believe at this point the rubber has hardned and I have bad traction, especially on wet roads.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #10
bear4

Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
ya...i was gonna say that's not the OEM crappy bridgestones that came from the newer yaris. i have 21k and i'm widdled down to near nothing. with a 160 treadwear rating you'd think they were slicks or something

any way, i love michellin. too bad for me though that i can never afford 4 at one time so i settle for fuzion, firestone or bridgestones. mostly summer performance only since i live near the sun belt.
Echo did no come with Michelin either. I bought it when it had 60k miles and now I got 152,000 miles on it. I know the previous owner, they put a lot of good extras into this car like cruise control, Alpine hi-end stereo and a set of Michelins as 50k. I plan to keep this car for a while :)
Old 11-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
bear4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
The wear indicators are not showing. You don't need to get new tires, yet. What do you do, drive at 30 MPH in a straight line?
No, mostly straight highways...
Old 11-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #12
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
That's great to hear.
I plan on getting a set of harmonys ih the spring.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #13
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Almost tempting to ditch the Falkens I've been looking at. My Potenza's are now borderline racing slicks after only 30K miles

I'll keep the Harmony's in mind

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #14
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
My Yaris came with Eagle LS rubber. I think they came with the power pkg. upgrade.
Sometimes buying "bare bones" does'nt really save you much in the long run...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:57 PM   #15
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
That's funny. I've got the power package with OEM alloys, but still got stuck with the Bridgestones. Must be a USDM regional thing

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #16
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I think the treadwear rating on my Eagles is like 360...
Nice tires, but I want Michelins next set!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:13 AM   #17
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post

you should've gotten more from the potenza's... I'm at 38k miles and still have 5/32nds on the front and 4/32nds on the rears for tread.

It's not looking like i'll be going home (E. Washington) until spring, so I shouldn't have to worry about driving in snow... therefore I might not have to replace these until summer 2010. By that time I should have around 50k on the yaris.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #18
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
My OEM tires (Potenzas) only went 20,000 miles as well, but I wrote that off to a LOT of stop and go driving. I still don't understand why I didn't get Michelins as replacements; Old Timers Disease, I guess...

My old Morris got 90,000 miles off a set of Michelins, and I did NOT baby them at all! Had I driven the car like a normal person, I don't know how long the tires would have lasted.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote