Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-23-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Drives: 5 Dr Yaris RS in Blazing Blue
[HELP] Keeping fog lights when installing HID

Just wondering, is there a way to keep the fog lights (on Canadian models) when changing to HID? I saw on the other thread that people are talking about "possible" ways, but has anyone tried and found a way that really works? Much appreciated. Thank you!

In addition, is it possible to make the fog lights or parking lights the DRL when changing to HID? Thank you!

Last edited by GabL; 07-23-2007 at 12:58 PM.
GabL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:59 PM   #2
GuySmily

Drives: 2005 Toyota MR2
Find a wire that goes live when the headlights are switched on. There MUST be a "headlights on" signal wire from the switch to the DRL box or wherever headlight voltage is controlled.

Tap this wire to run your relay.

If this makes absolutely no sense to you (it depends on your knowledge of electronics) let me know
GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Has this been tested? Anyone? Thanks!
Old 07-27-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
Canuck

Drives: 07 5 door Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabL View Post
In addition, is it possible to make the fog lights or parking lights the DRL when changing to HID? Thank you!

Not street legal.
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:37 PM   #5
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
Not street legal.
Why is that?
Old 07-29-2007, 04:33 AM   #6
GuySmily

Switching to HIDs is illegal in the first place. That said, there is no way in hell I would stuff an HID bulb into the stock headlamp anyway. There is no option except a proper retrofit for me.

OEM daytime running lights that I've seen either use the headlights (rare, but the Yaris is an example), highbeams (almost all other cars), or parking/signal lamps (many new GMs IE new corvette). I have never seen foglight based DRLs, as they are probably far less effective at acting as DRLs.

I find that yellow DRLs are more noticeable, yet less blinding than half-powered high beams, and this is the route I intend to go when I do my retro.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:30 PM   #7
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuySmily View Post
Switching to HIDs is illegal in the first place. That said, there is no way in hell I would stuff an HID bulb into the stock headlamp anyway. There is no option except a proper retrofit for me.

OEM daytime running lights that I've seen either use the headlights (rare, but the Yaris is an example), highbeams (almost all other cars), or parking/signal lamps (many new GMs IE new corvette). I have never seen foglight based DRLs, as they are probably far less effective at acting as DRLs.

I find that yellow DRLs are more noticeable, yet less blinding than half-powered high beams, and this is the route I intend to go when I do my retro.
Even doing a retrofit, you will need to find a way to get the DRL running, and this is what I've been trying to get help with... it can be the parking light or any other lights, as long as it works, I think once I get the idea, I can hook the circuit to the light that I want it to be DRL?
Old 07-29-2007, 05:48 PM   #8
Canuck

Quote:
Why is that?
I believe that DRLs must be mounted in the main headlight assembly. Foglamps are too low.

Last edited by Canuck; 07-29-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:40 PM   #9
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
I believe that DRLs must be mounted in the main headlight assembly. Foglamps are too low.
So using the parking light should be ok? As parking light is part of the main headlight assembly.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:00 AM   #10
Canuck

Quote:
So using the parking light should be ok? As parking light is part of the main headlight assembly.
Probably not bright enough.

Best check with your jurisdiction.

DRLs are useless. If you can't see another car during the day, you shouldn't be driving.

OTOH, there are way too many idiots that don't turn on their headlights when needed. I would prefer to see DRLs gone and replaced by a mandatory 'Auto' setting on the light stalk. With no 'Off' position.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #11
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
actually i beg to differ.. drl does help alot on rainy days, foggy days specially in canada we do get them weather .. specially fog on daytime is a killer. but that depends on where you are ofcourse... and that other people having it not you as the driver..you having drl help other people to see you on this crazy road conditions.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #12
Canuck

Yeah but if peeps turn on their headlights when they should, there would be no need for DRL. I would much rather see stalks where the only 2 options are auto and on. That would also prevents those f'ing idiots who drive with no lights at night because there are street lights.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:57 PM   #13
marcus
toyota

well were not talkin about night time driving, Its daytime fog and rain condition (daytime running lights) people dont turn their headlight on on day time no use and no effect because we human first act on things we do based on our own benefits turning headlights on on day time benefits other people but not the driver itself.. just im own personal comment im sure others got it differently...
Old 07-30-2007, 03:39 PM   #14
marcus
toyota

but the way 2 ways to keep drl with hid. 1. relay. 2. transfusion.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:14 AM   #15
GuySmily

Quote:
Even doing a retrofit, you will need to find a way to get the DRL running, and this is what I've been trying to get help with... it can be the parking light or any other lights, as long as it works, I think once I get the idea, I can hook the circuit to the light that I want it to be DRL?
Well, you don't HAVE to use DRL if you don't want to. You could probably snip the DRL wire at the DRL box if you liked =p But yes, once you understand the circuit, you can apply it to any bulb. You can make two choices: which bulb, and how bright (DRL/half bright or full brightness). I will explain the brightness part later. First we have to figure out how to change where the DRL is.

FYI, I'm going to write this post as if you know very little about electronics (just for the other readers out there).

Let's start with the headlight circuit diagram from the repair manual. Don't kill me guys... It's a huge picture. I connected all 3 pages into 1 image to make it easier to trace the wires:

Our headlights are dual filament bulbs (with separate filaments for high and low beams). There are 3 connectors on the bulbs: One pin connects to the high beam, one connects to low beam, and one is connected to BOTH (it is a common pin).

To make it easier for now, let's look at only the headlight bulb on the very left side of the diagram (which is actually the right-side bulb on the car). You'll notice both filaments are connected directly to the battery by the black wire, which is our common wire. So the headlight switches and DRLs and such are on the ground side of the bulb. The green wire is the ground for the high beam, and you can ignore it for now (we will discuss high beams later). The blue wire is for the low beam.

The blue wire splits off. One side goes to the DRL box (which I assume provides a weaker ground, meaning less electricity). The other side goes around through the switches/etc and eventually goes to the ground.

... I will finish this post later. Need to go to sleep right now. Sorry =p
Old 07-31-2007, 10:13 AM   #16
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Hey! This is exactly what I needed! But this diagram seems a bit complicated... haha!

The reason I am asking is because I got the OEM HID Module from oversea, and I would like to know how can I hook it up to make it works on our NA models. The HID Module has four bulbs in it, I still have to figure out which one is which. This is what I think they are: One HID Buld for low beam, one regular buld for high beam, one parking light and one signal light. I will do a check with the multimeter to see which wire goes where later. But GuySmiley, it will be appreaciated if you can continue with your post. Thank you!
Old 07-31-2007, 10:40 AM   #17
marcus
toyota

wicked diagram gabl..question though.. so the headlight is turned on thru ground not power + wire? what about the fog light how was that turned on?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:57 AM   #18
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
wicked diagram gabl..question though.. so the headlight is turned on thru ground not power + wire? what about the fog light how was that turned on?
Well, you have to ask GuySmiley for that... haha, he posted that diagram.