Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
AEM F/IC install

I bought a used F/IC here probably a year or more ago. It's been sitting in a drawer until I got my truck all ready to go and whatnot. Well the time's come so I want to get this installed. It looks like it was supposed to come with a vacuum hose and a T-adapter for said hose. Mine doesn't have that. Does anyone know what size I need to buy and/or where the best place to buy that stuff is?

EDIT: Also, I'm installing this alongside a Blitz supercharger and the little Blitz controller which is already spliced into my factory harness. So if there's anything special I need to know regarding that, any information is welcome.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
For the vacuum hose, the F/IC has a 1/8" barb. On the blitz manifold there is a 1/4 NPT hole (with a plug if you don't have a boost gauge). By a 1/4" NPT to 1/8" barb fitting to use that feed location. If you have a boost gauge installed, T off the Blitz manifold and feed both from there. You can typically find the fittings and the hose at any auto parts store. For fancier stuff, JEGS or Summit Racing are good choices.

For wiring both the Blitz controller and the F/IC together, make sure that the fuel injector taps for the blitz are on the input side of the F/IC (which intercepts, rather than taps). That way the F/IC sees the ECM signal with the extra signal from the Blitz, rather than having the Blitz controller on the output side of the F/IC, which would make to F/IC not see what the Blitz controller is adding.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
47_MasoN_47

Ok, since I'm using a boomslang and already have the Blitz controller tapped into the factory harness it should be good to go right?

I've got a boost gauge running off of that hole in the blitz manifold. I'm pretty sure that the barb fitting for it is smaller than 1/8". Will that be a problem?

Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
Old 10-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
Ok, since I'm using a boomslang and already have the Blitz controller tapped into the factory harness it should be good to go right?

I've got a boost gauge running off of that hole in the blitz manifold. I'm pretty sure that the barb fitting for it is smaller than 1/8". Will that be a problem?
Correct on the tapping to the ECM and then adding the boomslang. The taps would be on the correct side of the F/IC that way.

For the vacuum connection, I would add a Tee right at the blitz manifold or tee into one of the other vacuum lines are run the 1/8" to the F/IC. I would not tee into the tiny tubing for the boost gauge, as the F/IC would see significant lag.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
47_MasoN_47

I figured teeing into the boost gauge tubing wouldn't be a good idea. Would it be fine to tap into one of these 2 hoses? The one on the left (bird finger touching) seems to be larger than the one on the right.

Also, I've read that many people seem to mount the F/IC under the passenger seat. This means that a hose has to be run all the way from the under there up through the firewall and around to wherever it tees into. Would it be better to mount the F/IC in the engine bay to have less hose, or does the additional volume added to the vacuum system not make a difference?

Old 10-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
The Blitz manifold is 1/8-NPT. I had to run a tap into it to get my boost gauge sensor installed because it wasn't large enough. If you have the original parts with your kit, you should have the right barbed adapter.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

^Thanks for that correction. I always miss guess 1/8" vs 1/4" with pipe fittings.

For the vacuum connection, the one on the left is OK. The one on the right is on the wrong side of the purge valve.

I mounted my F/IC behind the glove compartment to minimize the cable length, but to also keep it out of the weather.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
47_MasoN_47

Ok, the left side one is 5/16" (8mm) and the barb on the AEM appears to be a 1/8" (3.5mm silicon hose fits on it nicely). I've been looking all over for a 5/16 to 1/8 tee adapter, or a 5/16 to 1/8 barbed reducer. I'm not sure if I'm looking in the wrong places or if that stuff is just really difficult to find. Any suggestions on sourcing that?

Old 10-06-2014, 08:46 PM   #9
47_MasoN_47

Ok nevermind. The barbed plug thing on my Blitz is a 1/8". I bought some new silicon hose to replace the thin tubing and allow me to tee off to the F/IC. It'll be a while before it's here though.