Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-14-2018, 04:29 AM   #73
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
I've looked up the EWD for the P90 Yaris and here's a few points to help you out.

As previously mentioned, the factory halogens are negatively switched. Assuming you had a H4 plug on the stock bulb, then you'll have one positive wire for each side and two negatives to switch between hi/lo. The factory wiring should be coloured as such

- RH positive = Black
- RH Hi ground = Green
- RH Lo ground = Blue

- LH positive = Grey
- LH Hi ground = Brown
- LH Lo ground = Blue

As with all wiring jobs, you should be testing everything with a multimeter as opposed to smashing some wires together and hoping for the best.

I haven't read back through this entire thread to compare everything with the wiring diagram, but here's a basic run down of things you should know

- Because the high and low beam run off the same positive wire, you only have a 10amp fuse for each headlight. This is probably borderline for just running the HIDs - ideally it'd be 15amp, but it's not enough to be running both the HIDs and the Hi beams, which leads me to my next point
- It's very likely that the JDM headlights have been designed to run both the HID and the Hi beam at the same time when you switch on the Hi's. If you look at the reflector bucket you'll notice it has two distinct sections - the upper for the HID lo beam, and the lower part for the hi beam. If these are anything like the 3rd gen JDM lights then running the hi beam without the low beam will produce two elevated spot lights in front of your car, but you'll have no width to the high beams. For this you'll need to wire the lo beams to stay on when you flick to hi beams. You should test the high beams out first, but I highly doubt Toyota designed these to be flicking between hi and lo with the lo being a HID setup. It takes way to long for HIDs to warm up and flicking them on and off shortens their life and the ballasts life.
- Re the above, I'm not even sure if the JDM headlights are positive or negatively switched, or how they've wired up the relays/computer to handle the HIDs.

If I were you I'd be building a new headlight harness with a few relays that are triggered off the factory wiring and wire these things up properly. Even better if you could get the factory wiring diagram ;) - https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g212047863

If you wanted to do it quick and dirty you could potentially just wire the lo beams in to get the hids working and then sort the hi beams out later.

I've been meaning to write up a piece on how to do all this to a third gen, which is conveniently positively switched with individual fuses per lo/hi beam, which makes things oh so much easier.

If I had my time again, I'd probably just throw bi-xenon morimoto projectors in my lights. While JDM reflector based HIDs are better than the halogens they replace, they have nothing on a good projector setup. Light output and cut off is just not the same :(

Oh and if you're in a country that drives on the right hand side - please don't do this conversion. Think of your fellow motorists. The cut off kicks up to the left. You'll just be blinding oncoming traffic or you'll have the lights set so low they'll be useless.
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:59 AM   #74
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeBee View Post
Hi IllusionX,

Thanks for your suggestion. I think the wires are ok since I get power to all other bulbs. In fact I tried swapping positions and the high beams came on at the low beam position.

My suspicion is that somehow there is insufficient power to turn on the HID ballast. I know they work because I have tested them with a portable battery charger and they light up well.

I had a Rav4 where the factory wiring powered HID projectors I had retrofitted without a wiring harness. I drove that for 7 years no problem. I expected the same from my little Yaris
Like stidnam said, you may want to use a voltmeter to make sure you get the correct ground and positive. Halogen bulbs don't care about polarity, but polarity is very important with HID.

H4 was designed with a common ground and 2 positive, but the Yaris has a common positive like mentioned above.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2018, 04:05 PM   #75
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
yes, the jdm factory HIDs are indeed designed to have both run at the same time when high beams are on. My high beams are regulated to flash duty only.

I have repeatedly blown the 10A fuse, and moved to 15A.

If you want both beams on, I'm pretty sure there will be alot of blown fuses, after the wire kung fu that's needed for it to happen...or you wire the hi beam up like it were a fog light.

I love the adjustment range of the HIDs and it can adapt to us roads well...that cut off is indeed there, but in the US where a vast majority of cars on the road are towering SUVs that blind the crap out of us...either they dont notice it, or if they do...SCREW EM.

*the high beams will definitely blind the other side really badly.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:55 PM   #76
stidnam

^^ as above, if it's blowing 10a fuses running both beams on factory wiring, that's proof enough to build or buy a proper harness to run these things :) The HIDs alone should be on 15a.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:56 AM   #77
DeeBee
JDM Fan!

Drives: '06 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by stidnam View Post
I've looked up the EWD for the P90 Yaris and here's a few points to help you out.

As with all wiring jobs, you should be testing everything with a multimeter as opposed to smashing some wires together and hoping for the best.

- Because the high and low beam run off the same positive wire, you only have a 10amp fuse for each headlight. This is probably borderline for just running the HIDs - ideally it'd be 15amp.

If I were you I'd be building a new headlight harness with a few relays that are triggered off the factory wiring and wire these things up properly. Even better if you could get the factory wiring diagram ;) - https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g212047863

If I had my time again, I'd probably just throw bi-xenon morimoto projectors in my lights. While JDM reflector based HIDs are better than the halogens they replace, they have nothing on a good projector setup. Light output and cut off is just not the same :(
Hi stidnam,

Thank you for your detailed input

I installed 15 amp fuses to replace the 10 amp factory headlight fuses.

I am now looking to build a harness for the headlights to handle the HID power requirement.

I agree with you on the Morimoto projectors. I had a set in my Rav4 and they were amazing!! I wanted the Yaris to look stock and so I ordered these JDM HID headlights to avoid bringing attention to the car while increasing light output.

DeeBee
DeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:02 AM   #78
DeeBee
JDM Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
yes, the jdm factory HIDs are indeed designed to have both run at the same time when high beams are on. My high beams are regulated to flash duty only.

I have repeatedly blown the 10A fuse, and moved to 15A.
Hi enviri,

Thank you for this confirmation. I had hoped this would be the case on the occasional times I may need to use my high beams.

DeeBee
Old 12-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #79
stidnam

Just to clarify, I wasn't advocating to swap the fuses out as that may be a recipe for disaster if the circuits aren't rated for the amperage. I'd be aiming to build a harness with the correct gauge wiring and with a 15a fuse on each low beam and a 10a fuse on each high beam.

For what it's worth, the HID will probably still run on a 10a fuse, but they would have come with 15 from factory. It's the amp draw on start up that will blow the fuse anyway.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:22 PM   #80
fredovvti

Drives: Yaris 07 HB
Guys I found this video, this guy is building a relay to archive that the low beam stay on when trigger the high beam. I will tray this if work on ours jdm headlights.

https://youtu.be/zxJbmIKp2KM

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
fredovvti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:07 AM   #81
DeeBee
JDM Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredovvti View Post
Guys I found this video, this guy is building a relay to archive that the low beam stay on when trigger the high beam. I will tray this if work on ours jdm headlights.

https://youtu.be/zxJbmIKp2KM
Hi fredovvti,

Thank you for sharing this link. I hope a little re-wiring of my harness gives me this result.

DeeBee
Old 12-24-2018, 07:35 AM   #82
DeeBee
JDM Fan!

Thank you all for guiding me through this install.

I have the lights in the car and that was my Christmas wish of lighting up the road so I can see better! The light output is amazing in comparison to halogens!

What remains is rewriting my harness to keep low beams on when I select high beams.

I really appreciate the advice, guidance, kind words, and valuable information provided by members of this group. I am truly grateful. Thank you one and all.

DeeBee
Old 12-27-2018, 06:03 PM   #83
DeeBee
JDM Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
yes, the jdm factory HIDs are indeed designed to have both run at the same time when high beams are on.
Hi enviri,

I can confirm that when I select high beams, my low beams turn off

I rewired my harness following the link shared by fredovvti but the result did not change

I think the wiring maybe different up at the switch/fuse terminals

I love the HID output but its frustrating on the country roads here where high beam would be nice to see further out at a depression.

DeeBee
Old 12-27-2018, 07:53 PM   #84
enviri

wish i can help you with that lo and high beam problem..i only have 1 theory that may or may not work. (wiring the H7 high beams as a fog light instead).

any other options and im scared there will be shorts or small fires lol.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:56 AM   #85
DeeBee
JDM Fan!

I have tried everything I can think of and I either get ALL lights on throughout or high beams or low beams.

I think I will try use a diode at the low beam and high beam relays to see if I can get it to work. Theoretically it looks possible. I'm not sure what size diode I will need.

If this doesn't fix it I will just live with either low beam or high beam.

DeeBee
Old 01-05-2019, 06:47 AM   #86
DeeBee
JDM Fan!

Finally, I have success!!

The low beam stays on when I select the high beam

I used a 6A 400V rectifier diode between the low and high beam ground wires connected to the low and high beam relays.

So far the result is what I have been looking for

Thank you all for your help along the way!!!

DeeBee
Old 01-05-2019, 06:52 AM   #87
DeeBee
JDM Fan!

BTW, factory headlight fuses are back to 10A since the relays are doing the "heavy lighting" now.

I will test it out for a few days then wrap all the wiring connections in a good loom ro something similar.

DeeBee
Old 01-05-2019, 10:24 AM   #88
enviri

nice! How did you attach it?
Old 01-05-2019, 01:00 PM   #89
fredovvti

Drives: Yaris 07 HB
Excelent!!! Pictures please!!!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
fredovvti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:35 AM   #90
DeeBee
JDM Fan!

I know. this sounds dumb... but....How do I post pictures here?

DeeBee