Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-15-2008, 01:50 AM   #1
computerlove87
The Fit is NO!

Drives: '09 3DR "S"|'87 Caddy Brougham
Send a message via MSN to computerlove87
Cool Digital Gauges, Auto Climate control, Manu-matic shifter

I LOVE all of the features that certain Yaris's from various other countries have to offer. Take for example the UK Yaris SR which has digital guages, auto climate control and a manumatic transmission. Not to mention smart-key (the proximity based keyless entry that the prius has) and heated seats and a whole list of things not offered in the US and Canada.

My question is, how hard would it be to just locate and buy the parts needed for these 3 things?

Being a complete car modding noob, I am guessing that it would be pretty easy to swap in the digital guages, a little more diffficult to swap in the manumatic transmission (might require buying a new ecu and other electronics), and a bit harder to get the auto climate control system (might rquire a whole new a/c system, plus all the extra servos to control the recycled air control, and you would obviously have to buy the control panel, assuming it fits into the us yaris)

Does anyone know about these mods/has anyone attempted them? How much success did you have with any of these 3 projects? If you did achieve the goal, please include part numbers and where you bought them from.

Please see below if you have no idea what I am talking about!:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg EU yaris cool features.jpg (340.2 KB, 885 views)

Please ignore the Ferrari
computerlove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:40 AM   #2
jinxor

Drives: Yaris 3dr YRS
The digital cluster is a standard here in australia....

Dont know much about the AC knobs... but it looks like a great idea....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
they look in and i tell them "come on man, its stock, its slow, look its ricy as fuck, look at the fur, im a ricer man"
jinxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
digital gauges... seeing as how nobody yet has managed to swap a tach-equipped gauge cluster, i would not hold my breath on that one...

Auto climate control, pretty sure that runs off a specialized ECU, and a couple extra temperature sensors. Nobody's tried that yet!

Manumatic transmission is a possibility, you could add paddle shifters with electronics that tell the transmission ECU to change gears... I think someone mentioned a company that does these kits, but they were rather expensive...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
computerlove87
The Fit is NO!

Drives: '09 3DR "S"|'87 Caddy Brougham
Send a message via MSN to computerlove87
Lightbulb

I know no one has been able to swap in a guage cluster for a car without a tach, but the usdm yaris S's do have tachs. I am planning on getting a 2009 3 dr liftback S which DOES have a tach, so I am still holding out that it would be a simple plug n play swap. I can't imagine that buying an oem part such as a guage cluster would be TOO expensive for me to just buy and try, and who knows....

I think I know what ur saying for the auto climate control... it would probably be too much to do even with all the right parts.

Also, for the manumatic transmission, I am not talking about a 3rd party kit that wasn't designed for Yaris, I am talking about an OEM replacement that is an option on the EU Yaris. I think it is also the same transmission shared with the XB, which does have manu-matic standard for the US. I have also heard that the transmission on the yaris equipped with manu-matic is actually a CVT which has a special program which makes it simulate a 6 speed manu-matic when you put it in that mode.

In all 3 of these, I am not talking about 3rd party gear, I am talking about OEM parts, it is really just a matter of finding ALL the parts necessary and having the knowledge to put them in.

I guess I will just have to wait and see when I get my yaris, sigh.

BTW, I think this is the 3rd party paddle shifters u are talking about:

http://twistmachine.com/shopping/ind...69777861a36885

For 1,700$ plus to convert from auto, and 6,000$ plus to convert from manual, I think it is safe to say that this particular piece of equip would be wasted on a car that is already good without it.

Also, on a slightly unrelated note...
Why has no one been able to swap in a tachometer, the Yaris obviously has OBD and probably CAN bus to controll its guages right? If a scanguage II can work in a Yaris, you would think that the guages are all hooked up to OBD, just maybe with a different pinout/connector for the ones with and the ones without a tach.

Please ignore the Ferrari
computerlove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:47 PM   #5
Terra
Ian K

Drives: '08 Yaris RS
OMG I want that digital cluster.. Would a swap be possible on a Canadian `08 RS Hatch? (Standard Transmission)??
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:35 AM   #6
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
While talking to a friend who has the xD he said the digital guages are also available in Japan for the japenese version of the xD.If there is anyone on here living over there go intothe dealership with those pictures and get part numbers......my buddy has the temperature one but that was all he was able to find so far.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #7
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
many of the over sea yarii have a CVT gearbox.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
bearda

Drives: 2006 Mazda3 Sedan
I don't think you'd have much luck swapping in an overseas transmission, especially a CVT. The US ECU probably wouldn't be able to cope with a different transmission, and would at the least throw some sort of error code.

As for the gauges over CAN it would be possible, but there'd probably be a lot of work involved. The OBD-II port is not necessarily running the same type of CAN interface that the car uses internally. The protocol for the OBD-II port is well defines by SAE for diagnostic purposes, but the internal CAN bus that Toyota uses to make all the part of the car talk to the other probably doesn't use the same protocol. There may be other information shooting across that internal CAN bus that is different between the overseas gauge clusters and the US one.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #9
Midon
Mod Freak

Drives: 88 MR2 GT
I have the time, but not the cash to try this. If I had the cash I would try to get the digital tack to work with the usdm cars. I would also try to get it to work with the non Tach equipped cars. I have the time just not the cash. But from what I was seeing on my 08 hatch without the tack is all the wires are there just in different locations them from the yaris's with the tack, unless i misread the wire colors.
Midon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:03 AM   #10
Midon
Mod Freak

Drives: 88 MR2 GT
There is a werecked LB 07 yaris at the junk yard with the tach I might have to take a trip there and haggle a price and see if i cant brake this down to get it to work
Midon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
mfijaz
I've made a post!

Drives: Good
Are these guages available seperately, I want to change mine....
mfijaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfijaz View Post
Are these guages available seperately, I want to change mine....
You have to track them down via a junkyard. I have right hand drive and left hand drive versions of the digital cluster that I purchased from junk yards in Australia (RHD) and Israel (LHD). They work fine in a US Yaris with the exception of having to extend the cables to the cluster for using one with the opposite side drive. You wouldn't want to do that though, as the display is angled to point towards the driver.

As for the electronic climate controls, that requires quite a bit more work. I actually successfully did so, but it requires also changing some wiring, the AC ECU, and the manual flap controls. Here's a video of my conversion while I was working on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbInNKKEwFc
Old 11-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
david_827

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
You have to track them down via a junkyard. I have right hand drive and left hand drive versions of the digital cluster that I purchased from junk yards in Australia (RHD) and Israel (LHD). They work fine in a US Yaris with the exception of having to extend the cables to the cluster for using one with the opposite side drive. You wouldn't want to do that though, as the display is angled to point towards the driver.

As for the electronic climate controls, that requires quite a bit more work. I actually successfully did so, but it requires also changing some wiring, the AC ECU, and the manual flap controls. Here's a video of my conversion while I was working on it:

Do you by chance have the names, or the links to the israel ones?
david_827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_827 View Post
Do you by chance have the names, or the links to the israel ones?
Unfortunately they only had one Yaris and haven't gotten any more since. It was Otto Auto Parts.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
peckerhead

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch
I have a Canadian cluster in my '07 LB. The speedo is metric, which most people don't like, but it's got a factory tach and it works great. Bought it on ebay for $50, and it was about a 10-minute swap.
peckerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
peckerhead

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post

Do you think it'd be possible to change the way that the RHD digital cluster is angled? I'm wondering if you could swap the guts into a LHD housing, or cut/plastic weld the tabs to get it to fit a LHD car properly?
peckerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckerhead View Post
Do you think it'd be possible to change the way that the RHD digital cluster is angled? I'm wondering if you could swap the guts into a LHD housing, or cut/plastic weld the tabs to get it to fit a LHD car properly?
I have both RHD and LHD digital ones that I have purchased, and the RHD ones would not be east to flip. It could be done, but it would require refabricating the entire housing for the VFD and the mirror (which is the surface that you actually view). The other issue with the RHD ones is that the connectors are on the opposite sides, so you have to lengthen about 20 or so wires to allow our LHD harness connectors to reach.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #18
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
what about the LHD hatchback with the cluster in the middle, do you have to lengthen the wires for that one or is it plug and play?
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote