Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-21-2023, 11:18 AM   #1
WHATSaDavid

Drives: 2006 Yaris 3-Door Manual
Dying Main Bearing, Recommended Engine Swap?

So my 1.5l 06 Yaris a few years back started making this whirling noise. It was quiet at first and everyone I talked to though it was the water pump. So I continued driving it and overtime the sound got louder so I finally put the time aside in the summer and did the WP. Turns out it wasn't that so I by passed the AC and it was still making the noise, so last thing I can guess is its a main bearing because it changes with the rpm.

I took it to a shop and they quoted me for essentially a rebuild because "we'll have the engine taken down so you might as well do everything else at the same time." Now I'm thinking since I drove it for so long I probably buggered the crank and put heat in the block so I might as well just get a new engine.

So I'm wondering what engine I should look into getting. I read of some people doing newer 2012 engines and I'm hoping for a straight forward swap, not a bunch of adapting and new ecu/dyno.

Also yes the dream is a Corolla swap but I don't have the money for all the extra adapting nor the time since this is my daily.
WHATSaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 12:57 PM   #2
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
"if" you get all the correct parts the 1.8 is a direct drop in

otherwise you just need to find a low mile 1.5...if you check craigslist and ebay youll find several JDM importers and you can get a fresh sub 50k mile 1.5 for about 1000usd
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 11:30 PM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Even with all the correct parts, the 2zr is not a direct drop in. It is as good as it gets for an engine swap, but far from a drop in. Lots of strange things happen that need to be solved and worked through after the swap.

One example is how my driver side axles were too long for the new 2zr swap and ended up binding in tight tur s. Solved it with a Tercel axle. Also need to deal with immo wires and MAF power.

Tags
bearing, engine, swap, yaris