Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-17-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
Pinchlite

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Rear brake cylinder end cap fell off during brake shoe swap.

While replacing shoes one end of the cylinder fell off.I quickly slid back on and nothing leaks(Dont think they are original

(Nothing hit the ground or got dirty/contaminated)

They have a rubber seal with spring inside so not sure if i need to bleed?

for a first drum pad replacement all went well,besides some frusturating moments of course

I took for drive and all feels fine,should I leave as is?

Pic of what came off(Before pic)

http://i.imgur.com/y9mMWmj.jpg
Pinchlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
You are fine. That just keeps the piston from becoming contaminated with dirt and grime.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #3
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
You are fine. That just keeps the piston from becoming contaminated with dirt and grime.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
So the cap comming off,spring popping out some oil leaking then putting cap/spring back on/in is fine?

If so then no worries.

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
The piston came out and you likely have air in the system. Time to bleed out that corner. It is possible that you have damaged the piston seal, but probably not. After you are done bleeding, have your helper hold steady pressure on the brake pedal as if they were coming down to a hard stop. Make sure you have no fluid coming out, and the pedal height remains the same while doing this pressure check.

With brakes, pretty much any time you see brake fluid come out, you should bleed.
Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:22 PM   #5
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
The piston came out and you likely have air in the system. Time to bleed out that corner. It is possible that you have damaged the piston seal, but probably not. After you are done bleeding, have your helper hold steady pressure on the brake pedal as if they were coming down to a hard stop. Make sure you have no fluid coming out, and the pedal height remains the same while doing this pressure check.

With brakes, pretty much any time you see brake fluid come out, you should bleed.
Cheers.
I will try and find out how to bleed corner that cap fell off.

Once I put cap back on and wiped down I pushed in the 2 end pin things a couple of times and nothing leaked out,but yes I will have to bleed.

Hopefully its okay to drive like this because I wont have time till weekend.