Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-30-2017, 01:01 AM   #1
hodginsa

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 2DR Hatch
$700 2007 Yaris 2DR Hatchback

Hey everyone!

Sorry for the bad pic. Double sorry because I do photography and it hurts me to post a photo like this. Ill get some better pics tomorrow.

Picked up this rather beat up Yaris today for $700 with 275k KM on the odo.
Smells like weed and ash(seriously its not good haha), needs a muffler and rad, radio, and some small stuff. Should be together and cleaned by the end of the week and be a nice car again. Drives really well and has no rust, so those were the two most important factors. I'm going to be using it for commuting long distances for my business, and the occasional around town.

I've owned a ton of cars and I bought this to give my truck a break for awhile while I do some serious repairs(frame and rust). Saving gas will be nice too.

Here is my truck. 1996 Tacoma 2.7L

And here is my project car 1981 Volvo 240 on MS3x. But I recently moved and my car is 6 hours away from me right now. I have plans to bring it up to my house soon.

Ill be searching through these forums for all of the tips and tricks for this new car. Seriously this is really new for me I normally buy 90s and 80s vehicles. My last hatchback was a 1990 Ford Festiva that I absolutely loved(and shouldn't have sold). This Yaris really reminds me of it and I hope to bring it back to a better state.
hodginsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:45 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Great find! It's amazing the deals that can be had when you do your own work on a car. Hell, even if your engine was toast, you could easily find a 1nz will around 100k km on it and it shouldn't cost you more then $500 for one.

Keep us updated on the fixes, looking forward to seeing how it turns out
Old 05-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Damn!

I think member Dodge Aries K would have to change his undershorts if he found a deal like that.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2017, 04:27 PM   #4
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Cool little fleet of cars. Looking forward to the Yaris updates.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
What a deal! Looking forward to updates.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #6
hodginsa

Yessss! It posted! And thanks Mod who did it. I thought it was gone.

First off. This is definitely one of the dirtiest cars I've purchased. You know when you spill coffee and you don't clean it up so the spill area turns black? There must have been 5-10 spilled coffees in the center console.

I removed the whole interior:

Rear seat rear bolts mashed like silly putty, even with the correct tool. Had to grind them off. Should be interesting getting those out later. But right now the rear seats won't be used(plans for that later). Notice the dirt...

See all the black grime in the middle? Lots of simple green, brushing, and shop towels later and...

Clean! Also threw some rust paint loosly on the typical rusty areas, should stop it for awhile. The carpet is still really dirty, I just hosed it off and left it to dry. Might get a pro to steam clean it after I put it back in the car.

I was looking to find a set of 15" or 16" wheels for the car. Searched Kijiji for a few days, then this perfect set of 15s came up for $250 pretty close to me. They're actually the best Kijiji wheels I have ever found, barely any scratches. The tires will last this summer but are 6 years old so I need new ones. I show up and the guy asked what I was putting them on. I guess he had them on a Corrola and had the right hub centering rings for them as well, bonus. Pictures to come!

Right now the wheels on the car are soaking in PB blaster. Its the most rust fused wheel I've delt with. I hope it comes off tomorrow. Have to replace a broken wheel stud.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #7
hodginsa

Oh no, I did it again, posted pictures and my post needs to be approved... Haha whoops!
Old 05-04-2017, 09:23 PM   #8
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
^^^ I think I took care of that. Can you see the photos?
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:24 PM   #9
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Damn!

I think member Dodge Aries K would have to change his undershorts if he found a deal like that.

Haha yeah. Fortunately I need a 4 or 5 door so it wouldn't have mattered haha. Sweet deal though, I love it
Old 05-05-2017, 09:24 AM   #10
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
great deal, but ottawa cars ROT

is it a stripper model? a/c? rear wiper?

#racecar?
Old 05-05-2017, 10:21 AM   #11
hodginsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
great deal, but ottawa cars ROT

is it a stripper model? a/c? rear wiper?

#racecar?
Yes, I'm going to oil spray ASAP. As much as I hate working through the oil, I want this to last a few years.

What do you mean by stripper model?

No A/C, No rear wiper. I'm thinking of getting this brand new A/C kit though. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details....dId=1245569089

Not #racecar(I wish) but I may autoX if I find some good events around here. I'm actually going to build a pretty flatbed type platform in the back for hauling some stuff. Over the next 4 months I have to ship over 3000 packages, and will be doing so mostly in the states because its so much cheaper. This car will be the hauler.

Also I just recently moved from Hamilton, and my family is back there. Driving the truck back to Hamilton is a huge pain, so this will be much nicer. Sometimes do work down there too.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:26 AM   #12
WeeYari

Stripper model is referring to the CE trim level which commonly meant no a/c or rear wiper was installed.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:24 AM   #13
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
its a stripper...

mine was a stripper + the B package (4 speaker stereo (vs 2), rear wiper, rear mud flaps, power mirrors)....no a/c, manual windows, manual locks

to this:

Old 05-05-2017, 12:05 PM   #14
hodginsa

That looks awesome.

Yeah its definitely a stripper.

The PO put in some Toyota radio that clearly did not come with the car. There was definitely an aftermarket radio in there at some point, thankfully they used a harness and did not hack up the original radio wiring. Only two of the three connectors in the car now connect to the Toyota radio that came with the car, so its not right and doesn't turn on. I might as well just get an aftermarket since I cleaned up the horribly installed radio harness, and its probably easier than to source a stock one for the car. Didn't even realize it only has two speakers.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:51 PM   #15
WeeYari

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodginsa View Post
The PO put in some Toyota radio that clearly did not come with the car.
Actually these all arrived at the dealerships without an installed radio. Dealer had to put one in. Maybe they still do. Don't know.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:57 PM   #16
hodginsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Actually these all arrived at the dealerships without an installed radio. Dealer had to put one in. Maybe they still do. Don't know.

This car has had a lot done to it throughout its life. It definitely had the right radio when it was first installed from the dealer and probably had several others after. I keep trying to figure out what kind of life this thing has had, but it keeps getting stranger.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:05 PM   #17
hodginsa

Here are the rims and tires I picked up:

Tires will be done this summer, will need to get new ones next season. Very clean for $250.

Never has a rim been so rust welded to a hub. I left it to soak in PB blaster over night, also hit it with the torch for a long time.
Had to replace a broken stud:

Check out those brake shoes! off to the store..

Decided to get new drums as well, threw some paint on them so they don't rust immediately. Also 2 of the other studs didn't thread properly so I replaced those too, should have just done all 4.

Center caps off?

or on?

I'm thinking off, but I will need to machine a small center cap for the center.

I'm headed out to finish the other side now.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:44 PM   #18
heeroyuy01195
Post count means nothing.

Drives: AW11, NCP91, Old Motorcycles
Nice work! I vote center caps off.
heeroyuy01195 is offline   Reply With Quote