Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-15-2018, 02:08 PM   #1
meteor

Drives: hatchback manual transmission
Rear clunking on coilovers

Hey guys. since i installed my coilovers about a year ago i've been getting a clunking sound from the right rear shock tower. After months and months of trying to find a solution i finally gave up and ignored the sound. However, i just realized the bump stop on the shock is misaligned a little bit. How hard would it be to loosen the shock and realign the shock/tighten it back down in place? Im thinking this is what is causing that loud "THUD" sound whenever i go over a little bump in the road.
meteor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:29 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
To loosen and realign simply undo the 14mm (or 17mm I can't remember) bolt on the bottom of the rear shock/axle and then from the inside loosen the upper shock bolt. You can then move the bump stop as you wish
Old 07-15-2018, 02:35 PM   #3
meteor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
To loosen and realign simply undo the 14mm (or 17mm I can't remember) bolt on the bottom of the rear shock/axle and then from the inside loosen the upper shock bolt. You can then move the bump stop as you wish
Awesome, do you think I'll need anything more than a breaker bar for the bottom? Also should it be on a jack? I'll try and report back today with the results.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:23 PM   #4
meteor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteor View Post
Hey guys. since i installed my coilovers about a year ago i've been getting a clunking sound from the right rear shock tower. After months and months of trying to find a solution i finally gave up and ignored the sound. However, i just realized the bump stop on the shock is misaligned a little bit. How hard would it be to loosen the shock and realign the shock/tighten it back down in place? Im thinking this is what is causing that loud "THUD" sound whenever i go over a little bump in the road.
UPDATE: I realigned the shock to the center of the strut tower. However, I noticed the shock's dust cover is permanently stuck down about an inch when the suspension is settled. Could the shock be blown? I didnt see any oil stains.

Also, i took it for a 30 minute drive around town and the loud metallic "THUD" sound seems to be gone except in areas where the shock has to compress quite a bit (maybe when it bottoms out). Even took it over railroad tracks and didnt hear the distinctive noise.

I dont think it should be too much an issue to replace the shock, i'll just have to contact Megan Racing for a replacement. Thoughts anyone?
Old 07-31-2018, 06:45 PM   #5
Type-Y

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by meteor View Post
UPDATE: I realigned the shock to the center of the strut tower. However, I noticed the shock's dust cover is permanently stuck down about an inch when the suspension is settled. Could the shock be blown? I didnt see any oil stains.

Also, i took it for a 30 minute drive around town and the loud metallic "THUD" sound seems to be gone except in areas where the shock has to compress quite a bit (maybe when it bottoms out). Even took it over railroad tracks and didnt hear the distinctive noise.

I dont think it should be too much an issue to replace the shock, i'll just have to contact Megan Racing for a replacement. Thoughts anyone?
I had the same metallic thud coming from the back, but it went away when I upped the firmness level.
Type-Y is offline   Reply With Quote