Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
If you think in regards to oil pressure the pattern you saw with the oil light would make sense if the oil was severely fuel diluted or the filter was bypassing. I would think if the sensor were the problem you would have the light coming on at "random" times, not just under conditions where the oil was good and hot.

There was a thread here a while back about someone with a similar problem and IIRC his filter was loaded to the point it was bypassing.

You state you just had the oil and filter changed, but what was the oil and filter combo you were using when you noticed the problem, and how many miles on them? Did you keep the old filter for evaluation?

Please let us know what you find out at the dealer. As others have suggested, I certainly wouldn't run the car until you find the source of the problem.

Thanks, REDDOG
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

Last edited by R2D2; 03-20-2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: add
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
Inspector14

Drives: 09 Yaris hatch, Meteor Metal
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
If you think in regards to oil pressure the pattern you saw with the oil light would make sense if the oil was severely fuel diluted or the filter was bypassing. I would think if the sensor were the problem you would have the light coming on at "random" times, not just under conditions where the oil was good and hot.

There was a thread here a while back about someone with a similar problem and IIRC his filter was loaded to the point it was bypassing.

You state you just had the oil and filter changed, but what was the oil and filter combo you were using when you noticed the problem, and how many miles on them? Did you keep the old filter for evaluation?

Please let us know what you find out at the dealer. As others have suggested, I certainly wouldn't run the car until you find the source of the problem.

Thanks, REDDOG
the oil i was using was Amsoil 5w-30 synthetic with a KN oil filter. i did keep the old filter but i didnt open it up yesterday like i was going to. now there is mobil1 5-30 and a mobil filter. not that it fixed the problem.
Inspector14 is offline   Reply With Quote