Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-30-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
YogiYaris

Drives: Blue 2007 Toyota Yaris
Thinking about making a full Intake Manifold Replacement

Well I was thinking of making a full intake replacement with a larger throttle body and larger ports. What do you guys think? Would anyone be interested in purchasing something like this I will dyno test it and use a wide band to keep the motor safe. Let me know I have seen exceptional gains from this before.
YogiYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:58 PM   #2
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
duno how much the yaris can benefit from it in otherwise stock form... I can see it making a significant difference to a heavily modded motor though.

If you build it, and you get good results... people will be interested... and I'd say the turbo users would probably be most interested.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:19 AM   #3
turboyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to turboyaris
already have one in the works should be done within a couple of weeks I am hoping. However like spkrman said it is really only going to benefit the turbo users, long tuned runners are your best bet in a NA setup usually, a decent amount of research goes into figuring out the best intake manifold, therefore until you mod your yaris there wont be a need for a different style intake manifold. A company that escapes me at present tried a NA intake manifold for the Xb but it failed miserably. I believe they tried selling them for around 500$ and only gained 2 hp or something of the sort. I am very optimistic on my setup with the turbo and everything, I may try and see if there is a benefit on an NA setup so I will be looking for a guinea pig to maybe test this out and see. I am hoping for a ~20 hp gain outta the intake manifold and throttle body if not more with the turbo setup. Stay tuned and we shall soon know hopefully.
turboyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:20 AM   #4
turboyaris

oh also... i wouldnt enlarge the ports too much on the intake manifold. reason being is then individuals will be required to port their heads as well. Leaving most people behind in this area. However if you do decide to continue I would leave enough material to have a slightly larger port match in case someone is porting their heads they can port match their intake manifold as well.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:49 AM   #5
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboyaris View Post
already have one in the works should be done within a couple of weeks I am hoping. However like spkrman said it is really only going to benefit the turbo users, long tuned runners are your best bet in a NA setup usually, a decent amount of research goes into figuring out the best intake manifold, therefore until you mod your yaris there wont be a need for a different style intake manifold. A company that escapes me at present tried a NA intake manifold for the Xb but it failed miserably. I believe they tried selling them for around 500$ and only gained 2 hp or something of the sort. I am very optimistic on my setup with the turbo and everything, I may try and see if there is a benefit on an NA setup so I will be looking for a guinea pig to maybe test this out and see. I am hoping for a ~20 hp gain outta the intake manifold and throttle body if not more with the turbo setup. Stay tuned and we shall soon know hopefully.
Basically sums up the difficulties of aspiration mods on the 1NZ. As long as the factory ECM is running the show, the Yaris has nothing. I can't wait to see all the weak ass arguements to that statement, but its the plain truth. Don't roll around thinking your intake and exhaust makes you fast in a Yaris. Its going to take a bit more than that.

Long runners are definitely a must, and as Nick said you have to leave room for head work to be done down the road. This would open up a whole new world. I could get that port job I always wanted and make it worth something... and grab a piggyback and dyno it and get a good tune and... oh...

Oh me god. I just messed me pants.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:53 AM   #6
spkrman
Banned

just go standalone :)

or wait until someone releases something to program the ECU in here.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:54 AM   #7
ChinoCharles
Banned

Standalones come with features you don't necessarily need unless, say, you have a turbo under the hood.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:59 AM   #8
turboyaris

standalones are retarded for our cars. too much extra crap run by the computer it would probably be mad gay to wire and make everything work again eventually. I think the piggybacks like the greddy emanage should be fine until you do some crazy racing setup. standalones are too much money for just a turbo kit.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:13 AM   #9
spkrman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Standalones come with features you don't necessarily need unless, say, you have a turbo under the hood.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:16 AM   #10
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrman View Post
What are you headbanging at... I'm going to smoke you without a turbo Mister Dubs.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:21 AM   #11
spkrman
Banned

Quote:
What are you headbanging at... I'm going to smoke you without a turbo Mister Dubs.
I'm gonna smoke the tires on the dubs and get a vid

We'll race one day, and you'll get to see the sexy @$$ of my car the whole way... and I wont even have to bother shifting, heck, I could be using my right hand to grope the supermodel in my passenger seat.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:25 AM   #12
ChinoCharles
Banned

I'll see your ass till I hit the gasssss... then I'll make the pass and you'll finish last... maybe if you got some nitrous you might stand an f'n chance...

I could write a song... don't test me.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:29 AM   #13
spkrman
Banned

Quote:
I'll see your ass till I hit the gasssss... then I'll make the pass and you'll finish last... maybe if you got some nitrous you might stand an f'n chance...

I could write a song... don't test me.
would be fun to have a 3 way race... turbo, n2o,
and stock. I'd say it could go either way, depending on how crazy that giggle gas gets you!

Turbo + nitrous is askin for it lol, I really dont think the trans would hold up to that much of a beating... although it may, we'll see down the line if I head that route

This is going to sound bad... but for me the turbo is there more for show... although it will DEFINITELY get used, wow would i love to be able to pass people on the highway without planning 2 miles ahead...

either way my yaris poops on your yaris.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:49 AM   #14
ChinoCharles
Banned

Haha, I'm just messing with you. I'd never write a song that bad... I don't think.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:14 AM   #15
heylookitsjames
maintenance of momentum

Drives: 2007 5spd 3dr
Some one should design a variable length runner setup, or maybe even just a simple 2-length setup triggered by the vvti engagment... like the schrick manifold for the vr6... longer runners to keep low-end port velocity high and then short, squat runners that open high up to support a higher volume of air when needed. Mazda used a similar design setup called VICS and even toyota had TVIS, so its a proven method to broaden the powerband.
heylookitsjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:24 AM   #16
ChinoCharles
Banned

TVIS came stock on the 3S and 4A motors I believe. You'll never see it for the 1NZ.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:31 AM   #17
YogiYaris

Drives: Blue 2007 Toyota Yaris
well...

Yeah I was definitely going to port the heads with the manifold I was just wondering if anyone was interested. It seems the interest is high so... I will update you guys probably in a month in a half or so. I want to get it to 120 whp. I am going with a cai from trd, porting the heads, intake manifold, greddy emanage (or something I haven't decided on this), underdrive pulley, full header back no cats, and a crazy awesome tune I don't know I will let you know later thanks for the response.
YogiYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #18
Vic-2NZFE

Drives: Yaris 2NZFE
Emanage is over priced for what its going to do to your Yaris
it has been proof on 1NZ engines and the result
waste of time and money.

Good luck dude

It's a Vitz!
Vic-2NZFE is offline   Reply With Quote