Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
tamo300

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Car wont start - help!

Hello,
I've been a Yaris driver for three years - ive never had a problem with my car - and it has been so very reliable - however, on Saturday I tried to start my car and it wouldn't start whihc I thought was very odd given that nothing was left on -...so i left it and after an hour I tried to start again and bingo it started as per normal - i thought very odd given that an hour ago it wouldn't start - anyway, being not so car savy I thought it was now working and so after 2 minutes switched it off (should I have left the engine running for at leat 10 mins?) and left the car until Sunday morning - sunday morning i go to the car to do my shopping and it was completely dead - nothing - no sound, not even a choke - just completely dead - like there is now connection - not even a sound of it trying to turn over

I am a bit baffled as to why it would first not start, then after 1 hour start then after a day not start -

The radio is still working as are the lights (all lights) so could it still be a flat or dead battery or something to do with a fuse or immobiliser (ive no idea about fuses or immobilisers)..oh and the wipers are working fine too......

..i have no idea what to do - should i go an buy a power charge battery pack to charge the battery?......I can't jump start it as it's not parked on a hill.....any ideas would be greatly apprecited....thank you
tamo300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
I think immobiliser. What you might have to do is sit in the car for about 10 minutes with the key in the ignition.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamo300 View Post
..i have no idea what to do - should i go an buy a power charge battery pack to charge the battery?......I can't jump start it as it's not parked on a hill.....any ideas would be greatly apprecited....thank you
Try running the shifter through the positions from park to neutral for a BUNCH of times while holding the key in start position. Sometimes the Neutral Switch on the tranny gets dirty contacts and precludes the starter motor from being powered up. (Sorta like when you have the trans in Drive, the engine won't start). I'm supposing that the dash panel lights up like normal though right?

Good Luck
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
tamo300

Thank you both so much for your prompt replies and ideas....i'm going to try both - i'm not very good with car language - what do you mean by the 'shifter'?...... what in simple female language is moving the shifter throuhg park to neutral? ...is that the gear box?.....also when i put the key in the ignition should i turn it or just leave it?.......i have no idea about car terminology ...thank you very much
Old 03-22-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
silver_vios
Banned

Drives: yaris sedan
Quote:
Thank you both so much for your prompt replies and ideas....i'm going to try both - i'm not very good with car language - what do you mean by the 'shifter'?...... what in simple female language is moving the shifter throuhg park to neutral? ...is that the gear box?.....also when i put the key in the ignition should i turn it or just leave it?.......i have no idea about car terminology ...thank you very much
If your car is automatic what bobolinko suggested probably won't help(shouldn't hurt though either)

The immobilizer(if you have one) is a radio transponder inside your key that sends a signal to the car basically identifying you as the owner, and then allowing the car to start. If the immobilizer is bad or dead, your car won't start, no matter what you do. Given that you weren't able to start your car, did nothing, and then started it an hour later, I would have the immobilizer looked at first.
silver_vios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
tamo300

...thank you silver...i'm a bit confused now as ive just tried the igniton in the immobilser for 10 mins and also running the shifter (gears?) to neutral and nothing has happened - dead as dead - no sound - nothing....however, what i have noticed this time is that the lights do seem very dim (this is the first time i've looked in the dark) and weak and the window wipers are very very slow....could this signify dead or low battery?...if so there is no apparent reason for it to be dead as i don't leave lights on or anything......the lights are very dim and the wipers are so slow they could stop......if so, should i go and buy a power pack battery booster thing and attach it to the battery for a few hours?........i really dont want to charge for a garage to come out to look at it as it will be very pricey.......
Old 03-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
silver_vios
Banned

Drives: yaris sedan
^^ well ya, now with other electrical systems dimming it sounds like the battery is dead
silver_vios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
tamo300

thank you very much - I think you could be correct - it's odd though that it should just go flat and then dead like this - maybe I need a new battery - i'm not sure what to to regarding ressurecting the thing.....i read that there are booster batteries and apparently they're quite easy to use.......i can't jump start as i am on a level street and cant push start as my sister isn't strong enought ot push the car herself with me driving...so it seems the only thing to do is to buy a booster battery.....any ideas on which are best in terms of brand and workablility etc?......
Old 03-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
Wowzers78

Drives: 2007 Silver 3dr hatch
Hi Tamo!

I had the same problem with my 07 3dr Yaris about 6 months ago...battery went COMPLETELY dead!! Heres a link to the battery charger I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SE-...9297198&sr=8-4

This is as close as I could find anyways...the one I have has been discontinued. Anyways this is a battery conditioner and starter...it can start your car the same way a good battery can jump your car...keep in mind you do need to replace the battery and when you turn the car off the battery will die again!! it will not charge while running!! Or at least that was my experience.

Its a good idea to condition the battery overnight when you first get it... and then every year or so thereafter...this will double the life of any car battery

BTW I replaced my battery with the genuine toyota battery they use for the Toyota Tundra. Kind of overkill, but Its the biggest battery that will fit in the car!!
Wowzers78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #10
tamo300

Thank you very much indeed for all of your help - it's really appreciated.

I have purchased a booster pack to charge the battery. I was wondering what the following means on the booster pack instructions) attach the red cable to the positive on the battery - this i understand - BUT what does it mean when they say attach the black to an EARTH POINT on the engine - attach it to a non-moving metal part on the engine?...i'm a bit confused........or can I attach it to the negative on the battery? (the booster manual says not to but attach the black to an earth/metal point)....

...also, in the Yaris manual it says that when recharging the battery whilst still in the car, the GROUND CABLE has to be disconnected....um, what is this ground cable, and do I reconnect it after the booster has recharged the battery?

Last edited by tamo300; 03-23-2010 at 03:54 PM. Reason: thought
Old 03-23-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
I had a car that kept killing batteries,found out it was the light in the trunk not turning off, ever since i remove the bulb from the trunk light..To check when you open the trunk immediately feel the bulb if its hot then its staying on.
You also may have dirty battery terminals,take off the battery connections and clean with some sand paper or small wire brush,do the same to the battery posts.
Another maybe is the interior cabin light is staying on,turn it off..
PS Are you using the same ignition key everytime as one of the keys i got when i bought the car only opens doors and wont start the car..

Last edited by jambo101; 03-23-2010 at 07:50 PM.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #12
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Add-ons like stereos and car alarms often drain batteries.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:05 PM   #13
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
Quote:
I was wondering what the following means on the booster pack instructions) attach the red cable to the positive on the battery - this i understand - BUT what does it mean when they say attach the black to an EARTH POINT on the engine - attach it to a non-moving metal part on the engine?...i'm a bit confused........or can I attach it to the negative on the battery? (the booster manual says not to but attach the black to an earth/metal point)....

...also, in the Yaris manual it says that when recharging the battery whilst still in the car, the GROUND CABLE has to be disconnected....um, what is this ground cable, and do I reconnect it after the booster has recharged the battery?
EARTH POINT on the engine = Yes, Any part of the engine that is not painted, and does not move when the engine is running.

Disconnect the ground cable = remove the Negative Cable of the battery and connect the Negative (black) cable of the charger to the Negative battery post. This ISOLATES the battery and charger from all of the other circuitry in the automobile. Some circuits are sensitive to sparks/surges and could be hurt so the isolation will assure that never would occurr. BE SURE THE CHARGER IS NOT POWERED ONWHEN YOU ARE MAKING THE CONNECTIONS ! POWER IT UP AFTER YOU RECHECK THE CONNECTIONS FOR POLARITY, ETC.

Hope this helps you !
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #14
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Earth = Ground
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #15
mrb3990

Drives: 2010 Yaris Blcksandpearl sdn
The alternator could be faulty. That would explain why the car started once and then wouldn't an hour later. How old is the car?
mrb3990 is offline   Reply With Quote