Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-05-2007, 03:38 AM   #1
fitfit

Drives: YARIS SEDAN A/T
Smile I have just purchased it - Help !!

Hi all, yesterday i just purchase my new yaris / automatic.
i have some questions in it so if anyone could help ?!
1- while i'm on the D mode, can i hit the overdrive while i'm puting my leg on the accelerator ? or shell i leave my leg then hit the overdrive and get accelerated again using this mode ??
2- what is the L and 2 modes are for ? (sorry i'm a manual user for over than 7 years ) so i dont have any idea !!.
3- i dont know if it can get me up to 150 or 170 KM/Hr. as when i get to 120 KM/H i find that it doesnt accelerate the same rate it does from 0 to 100 ? or shell i do the overdrive mode to get a top speed ?

thanks all and have a good drive
fitfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:01 AM   #2
drecian

Drives: '07 YR 3dr
1) from what I know (I may be wrong), overdrive is another gear ratio (of sorts) that is higher and so allows the engine to rev lower and use less fuel. Imagine a 5sp stickshift; you could cruise around in 4th fairly comfortably, but using 5th with use less fuel/lessen noise etc.

2) 'D' is normal drive mode, allowing the transmission to choose all the gears (1-2-3-4) as it's programmed to to, including 'kickdown' which sense when the throttle is pushed fully and will shift to the lowest possible gear to increase acceleration as well as holding the gear until it needs to shift (out of revs). '3' mode limits the transmission to 1-2-3 gears, and so can increase engine braking and would be like only using 1-2-3 gears in a manual. '2' limits to 1-2 gears and 'L' holds first.

3) It will; given space; get to 170kph, but since the gearing at that point is taller than at slower speeds, the engine will have to work harder, as well as fighting air resistance too. Unless you floor it and enable kickdown, it will stay in 4th gear and out of the 'power range' of revs.

I think that's right, somebody correct please me if not.
drecian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:05 AM   #3
fitfit

Dear Drecian

thanks alot, I think i understand Errr.... , Thanks for your help, but can i shift the gear between the D and the 3 modes while i'm pressing on the accelerator pedal or shell i leave my leg off first then get it back again after switching ?
Thanks again buddy ! :-)
Old 08-05-2007, 04:12 AM   #4
drecian

Drives: '07 YR 3dr
It may be smoother to throttle off when changing, but it really doesn't matter since the throttle body is electronically controlled based on your inputs (throttle, gear) and will do what is smoothest. The torque converter will also take up any drivetrain lash. (Imagine a clutch, but instead of the plate against the flywheel, theres two turbines close to each other with fluid in between so one can spin a little with the other being still, but the fluid eventually transferring motion of one to the other.)
drecian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:15 AM   #5
fitfit

thanks again for your help !! you was a great help for me !!!
have a nice day and enjoy your yaris !!
Old 08-05-2007, 04:59 AM   #6
leasaunce

Drives: Toyota Yaris
"D" = 1,2,3. O/D on = 4th gear. (you can turn it on/off the O/D while pressing the accellerator)

"L & 2" are for uphill (or downhill braking), really useful when you have a really long steep hill. You don't wanna put it on 'D' as the car might shift to 3rd, then loses rev, shift down to 2nd, then up again, and so on....
leasaunce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:07 AM   #7
fitfit

thanks

Oh , I see , Thanks
do i have to walk on 100 Km/h maximum in the first 1000 Kilometers ? or i can get to 160 - 170 Km/h ? because i was driving on 150 and one of my friends tell me that i have to reduce speed to 100 until i finishes my first 1000 Km
Old 08-07-2007, 08:19 AM   #8
xpeteyjtx

Drives: 07 BB Yaris
Just try to vary your RPMs for your first few hundred miles (or km).

And most importantly, JUST DRIVE IT, and don't worry about it.
xpeteyjtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:51 PM   #9
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitfit View Post
Hi all, yesterday i just purchase my new yaris / automatic.
i have some questions in it so if anyone could help ?!
1- while i'm on the D mode, can i hit the overdrive while i'm puting my leg on the accelerator ? or shell i leave my leg then hit the overdrive and get accelerated again using this mode ??
2- what is the L and 2 modes are for ? (sorry i'm a manual user for over than 7 years ) so i dont have any idea !!.
3- i dont know if it can get me up to 150 or 170 KM/Hr. as when i get to 120 KM/H i find that it doesnt accelerate the same rate it does from 0 to 100 ? or shell i do the overdrive mode to get a top speed ?

thanks all and have a good drive
you should be able to switch on any gears on automatic while driving.. just not the reverse..use neutral on idle as well..but "dfco" boys will tell you differently.. gear after d-drive gear are taller which i believe is use for hills and snow id say.. it does help! bad gas mileage though..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:03 AM   #10
fitfit

Thanks alot for all your Help
Old 08-08-2007, 01:22 AM   #11
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
You start out in D and when you want to pass someone or speed up you put it in R for Rice.
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote