Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
Rampage
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris
Yaris needing new timing chain after 4 years.

Hi, I've just registered and could do with some advice. I've done a search and couldn't find much on it.
My sister-in-law has an 07 Yaris which she bought new. It has developed a problem which according to her local dealer means she needs a new timing chain, timing pulley, tension and a couple of other things. The dealer says it will cost £800, plus £50 for telling her what the problem was. This car hasn't done high Miliage, but is only just out of warrantee.
Ive heard that some Yaris's have had the warrantee extended to 5 years because of this problem, Toyota are saying that this one has only the 3 year warrantee.

Does anyone know about this?
Has anyone else had timing belt issues?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
sound like a scam to me.. first off.. chain belt should last alot longer that regular belt and no service required for chain as well ... unless she got a defective engine/chain belt??
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
What is the nature of the problem that developed that the the dealer claims is due to a timing chain issue?

I can not believe that little 1.5L has enough torque or rev's to wear out a timing chain in 4 years.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
I find it hard to believe, but then again anything is possible. Do you by chance live by the beach?
TRD sportivo springs,Tokico Blue Shock/Struts,TRD rear sway bar & front bar,Tanabe engine bar,MI hoses (red), MI engine cover,SRI intake,VIOS vent visors,VIOS foglights,VIOS tails (HELLA lights & the Series 5 too),VIOS radio,VIOS badge,VIOS grill,18 inch R-1 rims wrapped in nankang tires 215/35-18z,chrome handles,retrofited the headlights, SHARK body kit (VIOS), Coming soon projectors heads with LED strip, Custom seats, MI hood lifts,MI momo steering wheel, sound system :)
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
07 flint mica

Drives: 07 sedan.04 2500hd,10 mazda3
Did they do a partial tear down to confirm the problem?
07 flint mica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 flint mica View Post
Did they do a partial tear down to confirm the problem?
good luck with that! most dealership techs wont check your tires for free, let alone tear the front end of the motor down. Keep in mind, most techs don't get paid anything until the work is done (thats why they charge for diag).

with regards to the original question, our dealership hasn't seen any significant issues with timing chains (or related components) on the Yaris. what are the symptoms?
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
07 flint mica

Drives: 07 sedan.04 2500hd,10 mazda3
talk to the service manager and see if Toyota is willing to participate in the repair. I know Toyota of north America stands buy their product if it is a clear defect and the vehicle is outside of warranty.
07 flint mica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
What is the nature of the problem that developed that the the dealer claims is due to a timing chain issue?

I can not believe that little 1.5L has enough torque or rev's to wear out a timing chain in 4 years.
I think it would probably be a 1.33L or even a 1.0L but not the 1.5 for a UK market car...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:57 AM   #9
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Something doesnt sound right as a timing chain should last almost the life of the car if driven easy.
I'd definitely get a second opinion without telling the second garage what the first garage plans to do.
What is the car doing to make any one suspect the timing chain needs to be replaced?
I'm suspecting a dealer that wants to make some extra money by charging an exorbitant rate on a job that only consists of you handing over a lot of money to have your car sit in his parking lot for a day or two.
On the other hand there could be the very slight possibility that its a legitimate call by the dealer and the timing chain is defective if so i'd get the manufacturer to at least meet you half way on the cost if they want to keep you as a future Toyota customer.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #10
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
Nevertheless that's part of the engine it should be covered by warranty up to 5 years
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:20 AM   #11
brbo

Drives: 2010 Yaris
I would guess you are getting a noise, of sorts -

Not uncommon for newer vehicles (tiny little chains) when there is lack of maintenance, or the intervals of LOF are spaced to far apart....

With lack of necessary amount of oil, or poor oil quality causes higher oil temp causing the chain to overheat and stretch - and the slack in the chain can cause noise within the timing cover....

Cheers BB

PS 3/60 comprehensive and 5/100 PTO may only be a N.A. policy for Toyota
brbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #12
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
I would guess you are getting a noise, of sorts -

Not uncommon for newer vehicles (tiny little chains) when there is lack of maintenance, or the intervals of LOF are spaced to far apart....

With lack of necessary amount of oil, or poor oil quality causes higher oil temp causing the chain to overheat and stretch - and the slack in the chain can cause noise within the timing cover....

Cheers BB

PS 3/60 comprehensive and 5/100 PTO may only be a N.A. policy for Toyota
What usually happens is that wear on the timing chain gears allow for a bit of slack in the chain. The only symptom would be chain noise, like you mentioned. When the engine is rev'ed, there was a distinctive whrrrr that could be heard.

Eventually, the wear will be so excessive that the chain will jump the sprocket and throw the timing so far off that the engine will sputter out and refuse to start. This was a common occurrence on high mileage V-8's made in the 60's and 70's. The fix was to to replace the chain and gears which came in after-market kits.

Better technology has made timing chains much more reliable and long lasting. There are millions of Corollas running around with >150K miles with original timing chains and tensioners. I find it hard to believe that a 4 year old Yaris engine has a worn chain.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

Drives: 09YarisSedan, 94Truck22re
I ran the original timing chain in my 94 Toyota Truck 22re until around 220,000 when it ate through the tensioner.
NZ-FE Vios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #14
brbo

Are you suggesting there is an issue with Yaris timing chain tensioners ?? What year / engine ?? This thread is in regards to a UK model....

My post does not identify any issues with any parts, my comments reference how this can easily happen by lack of maintenance,, which I've seen a few times,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
What usually happens is that wear on the timing chain gears allow for a bit of slack in the chain. The only symptom would be chain noise, like you mentioned. When the engine is rev'ed, there was a distinctive whrrrr that could be heard.

Eventually, the wear will be so excessive that the chain will jump the sprocket and throw the timing so far off that the engine will sputter out and refuse to start. This was a common occurrence on high mileage V-8's made in the 60's and 70's. The fix was to to replace the chain and gears which came in after-market kits.

Better technology has made timing chains much more reliable and long lasting. There are millions of Corollas running around with >150K miles with original timing chains and tensioners. I find it hard to believe that a 4 year old Yaris engine has a worn chain.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #15
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Rampage, what reason has the dealer given for the timing chain needing replacement?
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #16
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Rampage another 1 post wonder. Gone I suspect.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #17
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

Drives: 09YarisSedan, 94Truck22re
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post

Are you suggesting there is an issue with Yaris timing chain tensioners ?? What year / engine ??
Sorry I was just responding as a reference. If the tensioner failed, the vehicle would not be able to be driven at least that was the case on the truck.
NZ-FE Vios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #18
brbo

No No, I was referencing DMZ post - not really sure if it was in reference to the issue at hand and how it would apply to the original issue....as he quoted my message....

220mile - sweet you've gotta love that 22R engine, I have a few buddies that pound on them with 36" tires,, I personally do it with my 3B diesel...404km and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ-FE Vios View Post
Sorry I was just responding as a reference. If the tensioner failed, the vehicle would not be able to be driven at least that was the case on the truck.

Tags
timing chain