Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
XiuiX

Drives: 2012 3-Door LE
Civic is dead. Long live Yaris!

Hello Yaris people. I have just created a new account on Yarisworld.

This weekend in the Palm springs desert my beloved 2000 Honda civic Coupe died a terrible death of exploding heads. Going to the honda dealership they were trying to get me into a Honda CRZ. My GF drives a 2007 Yaris S(white) and i love that thing. we drove it up to Yosemite and it was a dream.

This weekend I think i am going to pull the trigger and Get a new 2012 3-Door Yaris LE(magnetic grey). I am very excited to get it. My question to you people is What do you think I should be paying for a new Yaris from the dealership. Do any of you know what Toyota's invoice price is for the car? Should I ask for any add on parts from TRD? Is the Toyta extended care package worth the price?

any and all tips are welcome!
XiuiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:53 AM   #2
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Get the TRD parts from TRDsparks.com, OR also check out microimage for some awesome goodies

And welcome to the forum! I've had my 3 door for 6 years on the 29th of this month. Have loved every damn minute.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
I have a Yari. I am getting the itch to get the Civic Eg.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiuiX View Post

This weekend in the Palm springs desert my beloved 2000 Honda civic Coupe died a terrible death of exploding heads. Going to the honda dealership they were trying to get me into a Honda CRZ. My GF drives a 2007 Yaris S(white) and i love that thing. we drove it up to Yosemite and it was a dream.

This weekend I think i am going to pull the trigger and Get a new 2012 3-Door Yaris LE(magnetic grey). I am very excited to get it. My question to you people is What do you think I should be paying for a new Yaris from the dealership. Do any of you know what Toyota's invoice price is for the car? Should I ask for any add on parts from TRD? Is the Toyta extended care package worth the price?

Welcome! There is something about the the desert in California and exploding heads. I had an AWD Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 (manual transmission) and I was driving east on HWY 58 between Mojave and Barstow (on my way to Las Vegas) and the same thing happened to me, my heads exploded.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Hold off because its the end of the model year. I got 0% financing for 5 years on my 09. Deals are coming be patient. You should have a killer deal. If not walk away. Go at the end of the month when dealerws are making quotas.

Look at the Mazda 2. If they have a better deal...go for it. Toyotas are having water pumps fail. Toyota might be going in the toilet after all thee years. Mazda is just as good. Fit too expensive. Versa just plain sucks...

Chevy is coming out with the Spark a three cylinder 1200cc. Check it out. Made in S korea.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
2012YarisSE
Gray Metalic

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris SE
Quote:

Unless you just want a three door go for the SE trim level, that is if you can get one. So much nicer car in my opinion, comes with killer body kit, sport tuned suspension, four wheel disc brakes, sport interior with upgraded fabric and seat padding, a tachometer for auto tranny, rear spoiler, fog lights, 16 inch alloy wheels with nicer tires, ect ect and all this for just a couple grand over LE. In fact with options have see some LE levels actually MSRP higher that SE. SE has everything they put in a Yaris. Most come with auto tranny tho so if you want standard it may be hard to track one down. I love how my SE handles and drives, very fun ride. Turning radius is a little wider due to sport tuned suspension but steering from lock to lock is only 1 1/2 revolutions compared with 2 for L and LE trims.

Last edited by 2012YarisSE; 07-26-2012 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Misspelling
2012YarisSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Toyotas are having water pumps fail. Toyota might be going in the toilet after all thee years.
A extremely large majority of toyotas to not have this problem. A few here and there doesn't mean the brand is going in the toilet.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
junorico24

Which would you prefer and why?

Swift GTI or Honda Civic Eg..
Old 07-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
muffin_top

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
A extremely large majority of toyotas to not have this problem. A few here and there doesn't mean the brand is going in the toilet.
A water pump failure is hardly a huge expense and gives plenty of warning when it does take a dump.

I wouldn't buy any Mazda because it's basically kissing cousins to many Ford models. They just have goofy repair procedures, discontinue parts quickly after models end and are generally more expensive to repair. For instance, they have a repair bulletin for adjusting front camber that involves loosening the engine cradle, grinding on mounting points of various suspension components with a die grinder and then tightening back up. If its still out, loosen, grind, tighten and the try again.. Yeah, no thanks.
muffin_top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #10
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffin_top View Post
A water pump failure is hardly a huge expense and gives plenty of warning when it does take a dump.

I wouldn't buy any Mazda because it's basically kissing cousins to many Ford models. They just have goofy repair procedures, discontinue parts quickly after models end and are generally more expensive to repair. For instance, they have a repair bulletin for adjusting front camber that involves loosening the engine cradle, grinding on mounting points of various suspension components with a die grinder and then tightening back up. If its still out, loosen, grind, tighten and the try again.. Yeah, no thanks.
Swift Gti or Honda Civic Eg?
Old 07-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #11
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:

Check for what they are selling for (new) at Carmax.com. They have two lots that sell new Toyotas and their bottom line price is a good starting point to approach a dealer with.

You are making a good choice. The Yaris is a solid economy car that will give you great performance for minimal dollars!

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #12
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
Now is a good time to buy, I think toyota is having their "one big sales event"

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5 View Post
Now is a good time to buy, I think toyota is having their "one big sales event"
Car dealers have sales events all year long. The only real event worth paying attention to is when they are changing model years and want to get rid of last year's models.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
Car dealers have sales events all year long. The only real event worth paying attention to is when they are changing model years and want to get rid of last year's models.
I agree, except I would change 'the only real' to 'a major' and I would add that the end of the month can be a good time to buy a car re goals and quotas for the month. One of the best end of month periods is the time between Christmas and New Year's Eve because showroom traffic is so slow (abong other reasons).

If you are a 'drive it until the car has depreciated to a Blue Book value of zero or close to it' person like I am, the 'last years model when they are changing model years' that you mention is especially effective. I got a fantastic deal on the car before my Yaris by taking advantage of that . Another time I got a fantastic deal on a new car buying a few days after Christmas.

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 07-30-2012 at 02:12 PM.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote