Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #37
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
hell i did 50 mph on the highway, with a slow moving crew of scions for 70 miles and i peaked out at 53.7mpg according to scangauge. I almost wanted to shoot myself, but it was great mileage. this coming from a guy that avgs about 80-90mph :)
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #38
Bizlibati

Drives: Zip
fifty five had been in no way the very best pace with regard to something. It really is in accordance with a lot of things, as well as discovering what's greatest for you personally requires period and a lot of experimentation.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #39
docB

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
Even the government stats showed 55 didn't save lives or gas.
docB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:23 AM   #40
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Where did THAT info come from?? Anything that I saw during that time (including actual stats) showed otherwise. I realise that 75 was slow and boring in Nevada and other states, but most of the fatalities there were caused by frustration, not excessive speed. What that says to me is that high-speed rail would be of more benefit than 75mph speed limits. Germany has it's Autoroutes, and the skidmarks on those highways tell of the hazards of driving at high speeds.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:51 AM   #41
viggen

Drives: echo hatch 3d and RAV4
Germany has autobahns and there are no skid marks!

Lowest fatality and accident rate in the world. Anyone who lives North America should try it. Getting passed while doing 200 km/h feels priceless because you can hardly recognize the car that has passed you at 275 km/h.

My echo hb gets 5.5 l per 100km without much fuss
viggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #42
TLyttle

Sounds good, Viggen, but on my only trip on the Autobahn showed a few places where there were skidmarks, with a good sized hole in the shrubbery, ending with a divot in the farmland beyond. Nothing to do with crop circles, I assure you...
Old 11-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #43
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Autobahn drivers have less fatalities while driving compared to Americans because they don't drive acting like the bigger and faster their car is, the bigger their weiner is...
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #44
TLyttle

Not true, detroiter. The licensing system there doesn't allow a high school nitwit to drive a Corvette equivalent. Better yet, they have to start out on scooters, in the city: only then do they learn to pay attention to something more than their own egos. Nothing like finding yourself in the middle of an intersection on your butt wondering what you did wrong. Much better. Much smarter.

It is not the road. It is not the vehicle. It is the driver, and his education. But apparently, everyone, regardless of age, has the right to drive, and drive anything they choose, and that is where the fatalities come from. Dear oh dear, just read the papers, or watch TV news to justify this!
Old 12-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #45
Ilovemyyaris

Drives: Blue 5 door hatchback Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateMonky View Post
I too live in Georgia and the thing I hate most here, and really most places I've driven, is passage ettiquite! When I have to take the 3 or so hour trek up to Atlanta on 16 it's like hell. People either just cruise at 65 in the left PASSING LANE without a care in the world or ride your ass when you're doing 76 or so in the right lane. As far as I'm concerned the left lane is just a passing lane and you shouldn't take your whole trip on it, it ruins the flow of traffic. Just my little rant!
Yep, before I started hypermiling I would go the speed limit and people would still ride my ass, sometimes I went about ~80mph when the speed limit was no more than 70 and people were still passing me.

It used to stress me out when people got mad at me going ~55 but now I find it funny. There was an incident with a really obnoxious driver from behind me coming from Atlanta a few nights back. I was doing my usual speed in the right lane. There wasn't much traffic and some lone orange car got behind me and turned his bright lights on as if he wanted me to speed up or move over or something so I let my foot off the gas and went a little slower "about ~50" just to show him I wasn't going to just speed up for him. Anyways so he got pissed and passed me honking his horn as he was passing. I really have no idea why people down here just don't get that there are other lanes to pass people if they want to waste their gas to speed off wherever they have to go.

Only time I'll speed up for impatient people is rush hour on the part of the highway where there is only two lanes just so be courteous because semi trucks get behind you and it takes longer for them to pass you and and it creates a long line of traffic.
Ilovemyyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #46
Uber_Otter

Drives: Black XA not yaris but close
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
Autobahn drivers have less fatalities while driving compared to Americans because they don't drive acting like the bigger and faster their car is, the bigger their weiner is...
The one key thing they do is "No tailgating" and "move your slow dumb ass over". The tailgating laws on the autobahn are very rigid and heavily enforced, so are the laws to yield to a driver going faster than you. The ticket fines vary because they are a Percentage of your annual income. That way it stings everyone equally.

Tailgate once, license suspended for 3 months + fines. Overtake on the right is forbidden. Drive slow in left lane and they shoot your car with a Old panzer tank.

Most accidents in the US could be avoided if the driver had more than 5 feet between them and the car in front of them. People who do the speed limit in the left lane cause most of the problems and accidents I see. You eliminate those and you have Autobahn safety stats.
Uber_Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #47
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
85 sound good right?
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #48
docB

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
The the speed one travels is inversely proportional to the attention one gives to the driving task. At 55 you have a lot of time to look around and eat and talk on the phone. Try anything but driving at 140 mph!
doc
docB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #49
charles nelson

Drives: red Liftback
When your Yaris is going at 70 mph it has about 60% more energy than when going at 55mph. The vehicle has to absorb 60% more energy if you crash the car. I don't think that Toyota puts 60% more absorption technology into the Yaris to protect you at 70 mph versus 55mph. Maybe Mercedes does, but you certainly pay for it.
charles nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #50
charles nelson

Drives: red Liftback
My '08 Yaris with AT, has a sweet spot at about 55-57 mph if there is no wind. On the flats, it gets 45-51 mpg. If there is a gentle tailwind I get about +5mpg. A gentle head wind: 5-10 mpg decrease. At 70 mph, my mileage drops into the high 30's. I have drafted behind semi's on the Interstate and gotten 57-67 mpg, but I don't like driving just a few feet behind a truck weighing more than 20 times my Yaris.
charles nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #51
alpha1

Drives: 2011 yaris 1.5 Auto-sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlard View Post
55 mph if you want to keep up with traffic while at the same time getting decent fuel economy
Quote:
Originally Posted by frownonfun View Post
i know it's not the optimal speed if your goal is to ALSO keep up with traffic. not in a 70mph zone anyway. it's downright terrifying.
[QUOTE=STC;576646]Maybe President Jimmy Carter knew what he was talking about? Eh? Of course he did... and it saves lives too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles nelson View Post
When your Yaris is going at 70 mph it has about 60% more energy than when going at 55mph. The vehicle has to absorb 60% more energy if you crash the car. I don't think that Toyota puts 60% more absorption technology into the Yaris to protect you at 70 mph versus 55mph. Maybe Mercedes does, but you certainly pay for it.
The airbag activation is usually essential for the high speed crash survival patient. I would not want to be in either the Yaris or Mercedes without airbags.

If working or traveling while at work, it is not economical to drive 55 in a 70 mile zone as it would cost you too much in lost productivity/wages vs. the price of the small amount of gas you would save.
Regardless of what you may have been told, you do not really have unlimited free time in life.

Speed does not kill. People kill.
Also all will die and none will be saved from this; regardless of how we drive.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #52
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by viggen View Post
Germany has autobahns and there are no skid marks!

Lowest fatality and accident rate in the world. Anyone who lives North America should try it. Getting passed while doing 200 km/h feels priceless because you can hardly recognize the car that has passed you at 275 km/h.

My echo hb gets 5.5 l per 100km without much fuss
I've tried it, and I agree with your description. I think one reason that accident and fatality rates in Germany are much lower than many other countries is that it is harder to get your DL in Germany than it is in many other countries.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #53
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
50s' seem to be to the liking of the 1.5 ltr. with the 4 speed auto . Some interstate of 65 m.p.h. . I'd say average speed of 48 . After the picture , it lost the 1st bar at 92 miles . ECO is at 42 . Changed oil to SHELL synthetic 5w-20 last Saturday . Tires at 35 .
Attached Images

Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:16 AM   #54
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles nelson View Post
Yet another reason (besides being cheap , and others) to drive 55.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote