Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-15-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Question Subwoofers- Best SQ are? HELP!!!!

Right now I dont know what I have between the two, probably competition so that would be SPL subs.

oh SQ = Sounds quality ; SPL = Sound Pressure Level.

I was looking into some subs that dont handle to much power but they can do like 10hz to like 1000hz in sound. Most subs only do 25-100.

My question is, whcih company or companies in you opinions make the best SQ sub's?

I was told that for loudness but also quality its JL.

I was also told for just deep hitting loudness its Kicker.

I want the highest quality Sub's I can get. I already have the other speakers changed out running to a new head unit and a 1200watt 4chan amp. So now I need the best subs I can to match the nice sound system it already is.

Please help! I don't know anything else about other companies and need to know what to get based on your experiences/knowledge.

Thanks!!!!!
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:43 PM   #2
staticorex

Drives: Sc'd Yaris Sedan.
sig. :)
Old 06-16-2007, 09:14 AM   #3
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro View Post
I was looking into some subs that dont handle to much power but they can do like 10hz to like 1000hz in sound. Most subs only do 25-100.

Please help! I don't know anything else about other companies and need to know what to get based on your experiences/knowledge.
I don't have a recommendation about which brand to buy.

However, at least you admitted your ignorance. You do not want your subs to actually put out anything over 80-100hz. If you had a crossover set to 1000hz, then you'd be hearing male vocals from behind you, mixed with the normal guitar, keyboard sounds from up front. It would sound like crap. Also, allowing your subs to play so high will make the bass all muddy. At high power levels, you would destroy your subs.

Also, be realistic about the lower end. A sub that is set up, i.e. in a box tuned really low, to play down to 10hz, won't be playing any of the important bass sounds, like bass guitar. Also, some amps even have a "sub-sonic filter to block out anything below 25hz or so.

Instead, aim to have a bass setup that plays all the bass sounds from 40-100hz, but evenly.
earljail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:44 PM   #4
Black Magic Hatch

Drives: Black Sand Hatchback
Absolutely right, as far as sound quality that depends are you a bass head that wants deep hard hitting base or do you want clean sounding bass? I personally think diamond audios d9 series is the cleanest sub ive ever heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earljail View Post
I don't have a recommendation about which brand to buy.

However, at least you admitted your ignorance. You do not want your subs to actually put out anything over 80-100hz. If you had a crossover set to 1000hz, then you'd be hearing male vocals from behind you, mixed with the normal guitar, keyboard sounds from up front. It would sound like crap. Also, allowing your subs to play so high will make the bass all muddy. At high power levels, you would destroy your subs.

Also, be realistic about the lower end. A sub that is set up, i.e. in a box tuned really low, to play down to 10hz, won't be playing any of the important bass sounds, like bass guitar. Also, some amps even have a "sub-sonic filter to block out anything below 25hz or so.

Instead, aim to have a bass setup that plays all the bass sounds from 40-100hz, but evenly.
Power isnt everything, its significance is only applicable on the straightaways, the second point to be conquered are the corners, but a race is decided on the third point... Do you know the third point?
Black Magic Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:19 PM   #5
Lafiro

I really thnk your right, I wouldnt want any vocals coming out of the subs. No, I don't always like that like that hard hitting stuff because(the only setup's I've had) it only sounds good during certain notes(frequencies) in songs.

I think that I just want a few really clean sounding subs. I mean those dont hit hard I presume, but who cares when I really just want good sounding music in the car; I don't care how loud it sounds from outside or how hard the bass hits outside you know. i aint trying to go death with that crap.

I just like how Bose systems work for the home, they sound great, there subs are awesome, wish the car had something like that just better!
Old 06-17-2007, 08:25 PM   #6
Lafiro

Oh, what if I get two subs, and put each in two different type of boxes? One tuned for lets say like 10-30hz and the other for like 40-100hx? Is this possible/would this be a good thing to do?
Old 06-17-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
there are so many subs that people could recomend on here, but the only way you will know if you likje something, is to hear it in person.

go to a good audio shop, and just listen to stuff, and if you go to a good locally owned shop you may even be able to have one of the sales guys put it in a car for you to listen to, which really does sound different than inside the shop.
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #8
Lafiro

Well keep on recommending please. I was actually looking into audioban or whatever the spelling is just for pure hitting subs. I dont know if this is a smart idea but the price is pretty good LOL. But still I need quality not pressure/go death speakers.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:07 PM   #9
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

Drives: 2007 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to sdmf
i'd probably go with crystal mobile sound, memphis or jl audio. but you also have to pair it up with decent amps, im torn between ppi or hifonics

Strength - Determination - Merciless - Forever
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:46 PM   #10
Lafiro

I already said, I changed my 6.5's and 6x9's to Pioneer speakers going to a 1200watt 4 channel amp. 150watt at 4ohm per channel.

My bass amp is a 2600 monoblock from hifonics. 800watts to 4ohms; 1700watts to 2ohms; 2600watts to 1ohm.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:41 PM   #11
ponieswhee

Drives: Black 07 Liftback
It's not really realistic to shoot for 10hz. You can't even hear that, all you'll see is your sub wobbling and no sound coming out of it at 10hz. Most boxes are tuned to roll off between around 35-50hz, which is plenty deep for most people. If you want loud, get one of those bass test cd's with different frequency test tones and try to find the resonance frequency of your car, then tune the box accordingly. I can guarantee it's not going to be anywhere near 10hz, though.

And if you want flat frequency response 40-100hz then you may need an equalizer to even out the dips and bumps. Do it by ear or pay a ton and get an rta setup to find what needs fixing.

Last edited by ponieswhee; 06-18-2007 at 04:04 PM.
ponieswhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:24 PM   #12
Lafiro

I rather go for 30-700hz then lower. So what do you all think of the Audiobahn and stuff? Also what others!!!!!! Comon please everyone!!!
Old 06-19-2007, 01:18 PM   #13
Lafiro

Oh, how about those IDMax ?
Old 06-21-2007, 02:38 AM   #14
nauc

Drives: NA
having a flat frequency response is what mainly dictates sq, thats why most run sealed boxes for sq because sealed setups usually have the flattest frequency response but remember, your frequency response has to be flat all the way up the line... mids, tweets, etc, for best sq

the top sq subs...

Image Dynamics IDQ
http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/prod...d=idq&type=sub

Resonant Engineerings SE
http://reaudio.com/woofers.html

JL Audios W6V2
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s....php?page_id=4
Old 06-21-2007, 10:13 AM   #15
armature

Drives: yaris lb
Quote:
Oh, how about those IDMax ?
IDMAX is a great sub. if you're tired of SQ, you can use it for SPL. the IDMAX scores big points at all the competitions that i went to. i'm not impressed by JL anymore. the white papers for their subs shows promise, but in reality, they just don't meet the hype.
armature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:04 AM   #16
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
I would definately recommend jl audio, i have tried alpine, rockford fosgate, bazooka, jl audio, and kicker comps.....

fosgate is on the low end, had nothing but problems with their basic subs, even with the recommended power, I blew them up, yes I put them through abuse, but they gave way so easily.

If you are looking for good sq and decent spl, and dont wanna throw a lot of power I like bazooka bass tubes. The sound quality is awesome, and the amount of bass surprises you, and you dont need a lot of power.

next is alpine, unless your going for their high end subs, dont even bother. Their high end ones are awesome(type r's). I had a friend who had 2 12's in his mid 90's accord, it was pretty crazy. The SQ side was a little iffy, but i dont think you noticed lol

#2 on my list is kicker comp vr's, I currently have 1 12" woofer in the yaris right now powered by about 280-300 watts rms(140-150 per coil) and I love it. SQ is great when I get it tuned right, for one 12 in a somewhat small enclosure, it really takes care of business. I am currently looking into what a 15" would cost and if my amp could power it efficiently....

and for top dog its jl audio, even their beginner series is awesome. I had 12w0's for forever and I pushed them as hard as I could and they always took the abuse and kept grinning. They need little space, very small amount of power, and they perform. once you start getting into the w3's you will notice a big difference, i had 2 12w3's in my old car and it rocked, didnt even think about putting them into the yaris, would be too much. and then we have the w6's or w7's.........i dont need to say anymore on those 2

hope this helps
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #17
Lafiro

Wow, so now im being thrown into the IDMAX/JL
I looked at the Audiobahns, and no one is commenting on them..... They do 20-500 or 700hz which is very good, but I know they are probably 90% SPL subs. Maybe Im wrong with some of their subs?

But remember, my amp is 800w@4ohm; 1700w@2ohm; 2600w@1ohm.

I don't want to fry some of these little power handlers. I did get this amp to match up my Clif Designs cdaw120 subs. And to also power a Kicker Solo X 12" if I ever got it. But I see now that from just my two 12's. it isn't great in SQ and the L5's and L7's just suck with SQ. So I could imagine a Solo X....
Old 06-21-2007, 01:10 PM   #18
nauc

Drives: NA
Quote:
Wow, so now im being thrown into the IDMAX/JL
I looked at the Audiobahns, and no one is commenting on them..... They do 20-500 or 700hz which is very good, but I know they are probably 90% SPL subs. Maybe Im wrong with some of their subs?

But remember, my amp is 800w@4ohm; 1700w@2ohm; 2600w@1ohm.

I don't want to fry some of these little power handlers. I did get this amp to match up my Clif Designs cdaw120 subs. And to also power a Kicker Solo X 12" if I ever got it. But I see now that from just my two 12's. it isn't great in SQ and the L5's and L7's just suck with SQ. So I could imagine a Solo X....
500 or 700hz... is very good?

not for sq applications. if you want pure sq, subs playing frequencies above around 70hz is usually considered a no no because frequencies above around 65hz or so are directional so it will pull your front stage to the back

thats why a lot of mids play down to about that frequency range to keep your sound in front of you, maximizing sq