Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-28-2017, 09:49 AM   #1
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Changing brakes

Hi Yarisworlders. I'll probably have to change my brakes sometime soon, and am thinking about trying to do it myself. I'm remedial when it comes to DIY stuff on cars, but I'd like to learn. Can someone tell me what tools I would need to change the brakes on a 2010 automatic Yaris and do you think it's possible that someone like myself, who really hasn't done this sort of thing before, can change brakes on this car?

Thanks in advance.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:18 AM   #2
Steve35

Drives: 2008 HB
The fronts are pretty easy, sockets and wrenches will get it done. The drum brakes can be a bit harder. YouTube is you friend.

Steve
Steve35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I agree, consult u tube. But judging by your post I suggest having a knowledgeable friend there. You sound about mechanically inclined as I am to foreign languages.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
10mm, 12mm, 14mm wrenches.. maybe a 17mm if you wanna replace the rotors

grab a 6" C-Clamp to press the caliper back in.

rubber mallet to hit the wrenches if the bolts are on there real good. Or double wrench it.

Some form of brake quiet stuff that you can grab off the counter of any parts store. Put that on the back of the pads and on the shims.

Its pretty straight forward once you get in there. Like Steve and Bronsin said, youtube will get you familiar before you start
Old 06-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Brake lube for caliper sliders. Do not do this job without lubing those sliders as well.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Brake lube for caliper sliders. Do not do this job without lubing those sliders as well.

Derp, nice catch
Old 06-28-2017, 07:42 PM   #7
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
If the caliper brackets are rusty, use a good file to clean up the surfaces (better yet, know anyone with a sandblaster?). Get new hardware with the pads. You might not even need to do anything to the rears, maybe clean out the dust & adjust the shoes.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:22 PM   #8
Steve35

Drives: 2008 HB
Here's a link to a 2007 factory manual. not all of the sub links work

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Toyota...als/index.html

The brake section

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Toyota...uals/Brake.pdf

Good luck, and post some pictures
Steve35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:38 AM   #9
mimelio

Drives: NOTHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
+1

Also rotors may be a bit of a pain removing. I used PB Blaster and mallet.
mimelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:12 AM   #10
bentjazz

Thank you for all the great information, people. Just looked at my most recent oil change inspection from my Toyota dealership. My back brakes are still in the green, but my front brakes are almost in the red. So, I think I should probably change them before the end of Summer. Someone mentioned front brakes aren't as bad as rear brakes, so that's a relief. I just hope I don't eff this up, but I really don't want to pay to have this done, and so many people do it themselves successfully I want to give it a go myself and save some money in the process. I'll keep you guys informed.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:51 AM   #11
WeeYari

Someone will be here to help you along the way should you encounter issues or have questions.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:26 PM   #12
bentjazz

Caliper sliders. Are those the bolt things that hold the caliper and inner/outer brake pads onto the rotor? Just curious, why do these need to be lubed? What kind of lube should I use?

Also, why does brake quiet stuff need to be applied to the back of the pads and the shims? Are shims the shiny silver things that are put on the back of the brake pads facing away from the rotor? What kind of brake quiet stuff should I use?

Thank you.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:40 AM   #13
WeeYari

The sliders are the two pins that connect the inward and outward sides of the caliper together and facilitate the movement of the outward pad. The most common cause of brake failure or premature wear is these pins seizing as the lube eventually dries out.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:59 AM   #14
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
Just replaced my brakes recently with an EBC kit: http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/ebc-brake-kits

and this video was a pretty good tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTqbzk95GS4

Also, re-lube the sliding pins. I think the tutorial is missing that step and I forgot to do it myself so I bought some 3M silicone paste which comes highly recommended: https://www.amazon.com/3M-08946-Clea...silicone+paste
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:45 PM   #15
Motzking1

Drives: 47 2013 yaris l hatchbacks
"Also, why does brake quiet stuff need to be applied to the back of the pads and the shims? Are shims the shiny silver things that are put on the back of the brake pads facing away from the rotor? What kind of brake quiet stuff should I use?"

This is a good question and an age old debate. Most people use some sort of lubricant on the back of the pads. Some manufacturers do but not many any more. Here is my oppinion for what it's worth.
I use bendix brand cremlube on the sliders only! That's it. I beleive putting grease anywhere else attracts dirt and dust and causes problems. Toyota does not put grease from the factory. The composition of the modern shim makes it not necessary. It just attracts dirt that causes problems.
To answer your question the shim is the thin metal,rubber looking thing on the back (backing plate) of the pad. Yes facing away from the rotor.

Always inspect the slider pins for wear and grease. I do not use C clamps to push the Piston back. Instead I use a large flat blade screwdriver to pry against the rotor and caliper with steady pressure until the piston is fully retracted. I do this just after removing the wheel. Then I grab the caliper body and pull it back and forth. This gives me the ability to observe the brake sliders pin mounts and how well they are working as the system should work. If either are sticking or not freely sliding I know there is a problem and can further inspect them.
Last but not least I always replace the brake pad hardware with every brake job. If you do it this way you will always get a good finished product that had a great pedal feel and long life with no noise.

Pad
Backing plate
Shim
Hardware

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Motzking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:06 PM   #16
bentjazz

You guys are awesome. Thank you very much.