Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-04-2019, 01:56 PM   #1
keith204

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Question My 07 Liftback now has ~150k. Tips for restoring original spunk?

I love my Yaris. Its like the gray LB in the header, but is showing signs of age so I'm starting to address things - some cosmetic, some performance.

Nothing is notably wrong with it mechanically - but gas mileage isn't what it used to be. And, it seems to be less lively/spunky than when newish (bought at 11k mi). Seems a bit slow to accelerate.

Are there any maintenance items that come to mind I ought to tackle to restore the little bit of pep it once had?

Off the bat I'm thinking fuel filter. What else?
Old 09-04-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
Brighton
Knower of little

Drives: None
That's a pretty simple thing to address, I'll just list it to not bore you with text haha. I don't know if the models changed depending on the country it was sold in but I don't think the USDM car has a fuel filter aside from the fuel sock in the gas tank.

Should be done
  • Spark Plugs (NGK or Denso Iridium)
  • Air Filter
  • Throttle body clean

Optional to do
  • BG44k or Seafoam in next full tank of gas and get higher octane than normal
  • Marvel Mystery oil in oil prior to next oil change, idle engine for 15 mins before draining old oil
  • Upgrade to K&N or Spectra air filter
  • Heat soak engine with seafoam introduced via vacuum line after engine is hot (see instructions on can)
  • Disconnect battery for 15+ minutes so car can relearn after work is done
Brighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
keith204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton View Post
That's a pretty simple thing to address, I'll just list it to not bore you with text haha. I don't know if the models changed depending on the country it was sold in but I don't think the USDM car has a fuel filter aside from the fuel sock in the gas tank.

Should be done
  • Air Filter
  • Throttle body clean

Optional to do
  • Marvel Mystery oil in oil prior to next oil change, idle engine for 15 mins before draining old oil
  • Heat soak engine with seafoam introduced via vacuum line after engine is hot (see instructions on can)

Very, very helpful. Lists are great. Thank you!
Old 09-04-2019, 07:55 PM   #4
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton View Post

Should be done
  • Air Filter
  • Throttle body clean

Optional to do
If by 150K you mean 150,000 KM then your original spark plugs should still be good. I would change the air filer if it's dirty, and clean the throttle body and MAF with some brake cleaner. I don't know about the quality of fuel available in Bolivia but in the US and Canada fuel filters are no longer a maintenance item since the fuel you get at gas stations is now very clean. I'm not a fan of Marvel Mystery oil and K&N air filters since the benefits are marginal or non existent in most cases.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:07 PM   #5
keith204

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B._07 View Post
If by 150K you mean 150,000 KM then your original spark plugs should still be good. I would change the air filer if it's dirty, and clean the throttle body and MAF with some brake cleaner. I don't know about the quality of fuel available in Bolivia but in the US and Canada fuel filters are no longer a maintenance item since the fuel you get at gas stations is now very clean. I'm not a fan of Marvel Mystery oil and K&N air filters since the benefits are marginal or non existent in most cases.
Haha. Bolivar is a small town in Missouri. So, miles, US, and inches all apply.

Thanks for the input
Old 09-06-2019, 12:13 AM   #6
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B._07
clean the throttle body and MAF with some brake cleaner.
I know that some people tend to use brake cleaner on everything but it does leave a thin layer of residue which compromises the MAF functionality. At least for MAF sensor you should get MAF cleaner (which leaves NO residue). And that MAF cleaner can be used on throttle body too.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:21 PM   #7
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
yes. use a specific Mass Airflow Cleaner. there is a protective coating on the platinum wires and brake cleaner can damage the coating. also, i am a firm believer in BG products! i'd recommend using a can of 109 before your next oil change, maybe; you run it for 15 minutes nice and hot. drain dirty and put in some regular oil and a cheap filter. drive it around the block a few times. drain oil and install quality oil and quality filter. then BG MAF cleaner and a can of BG MOA in the oil. here is a video on the MOA...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-hUI_p4ZIU
there is also videos by this guy for other gb products. (like the 109)
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:13 PM   #8
keith204

Thanks for the advice. The Yaris feels great again. Here's an update!
  • Cleaned MAF sensor w/ MAF cleaner. (Shortly after posting this, the check engine light came on. MAF sensor.
  • Air filter (regular at this point)
  • cleaned throttle body (a bit)
  • NGK iridium spark plugs
  • Tires: inflated properly! They were all down. This made a huge improvement with steering and I assume would have affected gas mileage.

I have several other items from your lists on the someday/maybe list. It's running well enough now that it's not at the top of my mind.

Notable improvements:
  • steers better (tires inflated)
  • seems more peppy
  • Highway MPG has gone from 30-33 to 35-38 mpg. And that's without trying any sort of hypermiling techniques.

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2019, 02:26 PM   #9
Toolaholic

Drives: Olive yaris,FRS, Dakota R/T
Biggest improvement on my 2007 Yaris sedan was a new denso OEM oxygen sensor . The one upstream. Believe it or not if has more spunk with the alternator rebuild. It has 118,500 on it.
Toolaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:35 AM   #10
Adrien

Drives: Yaris 2011 5 door
For the OEM air filter, would this be the part number we're talking about? 17801-21050
Adrien is offline   Reply With Quote